Wow I got screwed...

RonJ

Banned
BTW thanks guys for all the inputs! I found an ad on CL some guy was selling parts from his civic, and there was a picture with the valve cover on there, looks like mine too. I asked him what year is the y8 head and he said that was 2000. So could mine be also 2000 or not a chance? I think you guys are right because I have a friend who has a 99 Ex coupe and his valve cover gasket just says HONDA across...here's a link to the CL ad: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/2792320971.html
Your head is from a 95 Civic D16Z6 engine.

blknpurple

The hose above the capped nipple is the PCV hose that should run to the PCV valve and ultimately to the breather box above the oil filter. It too is disconnected.
Mmm..no, that hose isn't disconnected, the angle must've made it look like that.. Either way, seems like I need to go dig through the local junkyard for EVAP parts!! Hondas are always stripped bare there though....wish me luck!!

RonJ

Banned
There's an additional disconnected pipe in your first picture. It may be the pipe that connects the breather hose to the intake.

I hope you didn't pay very much for the car because you have a bunch of work and parts to put that project in order.

blknpurple

K, pulled the codes today and I got 71-74, which is random misfiring on all 4 cylinders, and 91-fuel tank pressure sensor, I'm surprised it's not 92, which is EVAP problems since I'm missing the whole EVAP system pretty much. I'm not even sure of where to start on the misfiring issue. It idles funky, loud and vibrating, but once the car starts going, no hesitation or back-firing or anything like that...So I thought the misfiring was weird. I'm gonna take out that IACV and clean it...Well, more researching to do...I'll keep everyone posted

blknpurple

I reset the light yesterday, drove it around w/o the light on. It came on again today, so I wrote down the codes. I checked the spark plugs, they're dry and tan colored, isnt soaked with fuel or oil. I do notice a little bit of oil on the washer on the spark plug, so that means some oil is getting past the spark plug grommets? I think the valve cover gasket kit usually come with these grommets. I'm getting a P2P OBD2a from another member on CC soon, wonder if that would make a difference. Knowing my luck, it'll just run the same, if not worst.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It should run better if everything else is correctly wired. The evap system won't throw a CEL. I had mine off my old car since I did my wire tuck. Just route the hose down under the car so you don't smell the fumes

RonJ

Banned
I reset the light yesterday, drove it around w/o the light on. It came on again today, so I wrote down the codes. I checked the spark plugs, they're dry and tan colored, isnt soaked with fuel or oil. I do notice a little bit of oil on the washer on the spark plug, so that means some oil is getting past the spark plug grommets? I think the valve cover gasket kit usually come with these grommets. I'm getting a P2P OBD2a from another member on CC soon, wonder if that would make a difference. Knowing my luck, it'll just run the same, if not worst.
Random misfire on all four cylinders -- Replace the fuel filter and inspect the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Then test the coil and ICM.

blknpurple

The P2P will enable your VTEC and will most likely run the exact same as your P2E ECU.
thought as much

Replace the fuel filter and inspect the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Then test the coil and ICM.
Will do this, I'll take some pics of the distributor, it looks.....weird, at least in the way it is mounted...If I were to get another one, I should get a 95 d16z6 one, correct?

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RonJ's got you covered in most of the stuff so your on the right track, which codes came back after you reset the ecu? The P2P won't make you run any better if you don't fix the misfiring issues, it will just get your vtec working properly. How much oil is it leaking? Do you notice misfires while your driving? Is you coolant level staying he same? You really need to get everything hooked up and wired correctly and see if that fixes anything before we start troubleshooting problems.

ALSO FOR EVERYONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT MINI ME'S::::
I remember reading something about tapping the block for oil passages when I was looking into a mini me before I decided on a swap, is that actually important and will it hurt this guy if it hasn't been done????

blknpurple

So I've been meaning to ask this, but keep slipping my mind. My car rarely gets to operating temp, with city driving and traffic, it'll get to operating temp, but as soon as I get on the freeway or go over 50mph, the temp needle starts dropping. It has a dual core radiator. I know the heater works because when it is at operating temp, it blows hot air. As the needle drops, the air gets cooler from the vents. Needless to say, air coming from the vents while on the freeway stays luke warm; even after an hour and a half driving. I should be concerned with the car running too cool right??

blknpurple

So some update with the way the distributor is mounted, it is really weird and I cant think of a reason why it would be mounted such a way. Unless it's too REALLY advance or retard the timing, could be a reason for the misfire in all 4 cyl?

The adapter spacer thing to relocate the mounting bolt

The other mounting bracket is cut off.....

So moving on, I was gonna clean out the IACV, or the FITV (since I have a 95 z6 head) and this is what I found

Back of the IM, no IACV, only 1 whole with threads, so I dont think it was mean to have on in the first place, phew, thought it was missing....

So I thought it has a FITV....but it doesn't look like it

Once again...FML

On a good note, I got a killer price on a Si center console, so got that installed
Before

After

Civic Virtue

If you rotate the dizzy does it run any smoother? It may be too advanced/retarded which would be an explanation of all 4 cylinders misfiring.

If no luck on the dizzy moving the timing belt may have jumped a tooth. That dizzy probably isn't even made for the Z6 explaning the janky mounting job.

blknpurple

So the dizzy is probably not a vtec, so when I get one, I should ask for a 95 civic vtec dizzy? Also, anyone got any idea on the IACV or FITV??

blknpurple

If no luck on the dizzy moving the timing belt may have jumped a tooth. That dizzy probably isn't even made for the Z6 explaning the janky mounting job.
If the tb has jumped a tooth, wouldn't the car run like rotten butthole throughout the RPM? it has the pop pop misfiring at idle, then once the car starts going, it's fine, I hope it's not jumped a tooth....I'll try to get the correct dizzy soon, school and work been really hectic, no free time really..