Wreckless Hype's 2000 EJ8 Slow Build

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ah nice. I thought you went the route of spraying everything with a garden hose.

My transmission has lots of dirt and grime caked on. Any tips on cleaning that?
I have a heady plastic bristle brush that I use with Bleche White. Stuff smells awful and in a more confined space like an engine bay will make you gag for sure, but you spray it on and within a few seconds, crap just starts falling off.

I used it on some heavy grime areas on the block, up around the head also where some oil was caked on. This stuff you pretty much want to spray on best you can and let it sit for a second and then scrub it with a stiff brush. With the bristles being somewhat stiff, expect crap to be flung all over; I put a shop towel over my hand and the brush to minimize having to reclean everything around it.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Cool. Did you rinse off or wipe?
Threw a shop rag in a bucket of water, squeezed it over the cleaned area and then dabbed the rest off with another towel.

The engine bay will take a bit of water, just don't sit and spray all of your sensors and air filter, etc. When you spray it all though, there are some areas where water will sit and I wasn't a fan of the idea, so I wiped everything down.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ah damn! I was gonna suggest amber sidemarkers but u are on top of that s**t!

Header and intake make the bay look 100 times better! Car is coming along nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ah damn! I was gonna suggest amber sidemarkers but u are on top of that s***!
:P

I kept looking at crash!'s build and obviously her ambers stick out on white and I liked the idea of having something a little different, but in the end, it just looks more... natural :lol:

Header and intake make the bay look 100 times better! Car is coming along nicely.
Thank ya, thank ya. Don't have tons of cash to dump into all the things that matter, mostly saving a little bit here and there and keeping my eyes peeled for good deals. Don't want to dump tons into things that would be pulled out when I do a swap.

Almost snagged a mint set of 2010 Si front seats for $250 with EK rails, but the guy sold them way too quick. And was pretty stoked about a pair of Fat Fives on ebay for around $500 with new tires until I saw they were heavy duty winter tires ha. Would love me some nice OEM wheels with S Drives :yummy:

Also! My OEM Window Visors landed, should be in today! Can't wait to rip these cheap s***s off my car, clean up the window channels and get them mounted. Since I need to loosen the mirrors, maybe I can figure out how to wire up my SiR power folding mirrors. THEN I can get the fancy Spoon side mirror inserts :D

Absolutely LOVING the new rear view, so much smaller but I can still see just about as much as my enormous Broadway (which prohibited use of the sun visors & rear view together). Because it's a stick on and has a curve, the center of the mirror sticks out a bit from the housing of the stock mirror, so it looks a little funny if you check it out, but it looks a million times better than a heavy clip on that's always pointing down when I hit a bump or turn the music up too loud.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think this car deserves better than fat fives. Those wheels are fugly imo

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think this car deserves better than fat fives. Those wheels are fugly imo
They're not awful, they're better than faded, rusty looking steelies with peeling hubcaps though and if they were new all seasons, it would have been worth it to buy them for the tires alone and then sell the rims when they wore out.

Call me crazy, but I may just hold off and rock steelies for a while and do a 5 lug swap. I want rear discs anyway and if I'm going with a turbo K, a brake upgrade all around would be pretty nice I'm sure. More speed would usually warrant more stopping power.

A 4 lug rear disc swap is around $400 from what I'm seeing. I live about an hour from JDMEngineDepot who sells complete CTR 5 lug swaps for about $650. A CTR swap would get me bigger brakes in the front (282 (11.2?) vs 262 (10.3?) iirc) and basically moves my front rotors to rear (262 -or- 10.3(?) rears on CTR I believe). Overall I think it would be a decent all around upgrade for an extra $250. Obviously prices are what they are, not set in stone anywhere...

I know I still need to take into account the lines, MC, and prop valve, etc. which would most likely be the case doing a rear disc swap anyway?

With a 5x114.3 bolt pattern, that opens up a whole world of sexy rims to try out! :D

*Edit - wondering if with a K swap, should use an ITR swap instead of a CTR due to the larger spindles... Everything I read says RSX = 36mm axle, TSX I have no idea, and I know the JDM ITR swaps are 36mm so it seems like it would be better to use for the swap...

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
AWWW YESSSS!

Original Honda Access wind deflectors! All clips, scews, rubber molding in-tact, no cracks or chips. Awesome! :D

Ugh, I can't believe people still use these damn things. They look like such s*** when they fall off...

Side note, I had the entire door panel off to check the wiring on the mirrors for the power folding mirrors. I have a lot of research to do there. All the wires are the wrong colors :lol:

Did the driver's side first, since it's just been rattling in the breeze. Pretty easy to get on, couple screws, push the rubber seal back on, golden. Rubbed it down with some PlastX (right side in the pic, so much cleaner than the left). Look spotless!

I need to scrub my interior down. Looks so gross :(

Smooth, like buttah

Also think I may be on to something with the weird hesitation issue. After swapping the gf's distributor over, it seemed to run really well and then putting mine back on to check after, it was poop again. May need to try and grab one at a UPullit and see if that takes care of my issue long term...

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good updates!

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Interior gross as hell

Hot soapy water and some towels - get to scrubbin

So fresh

Put on the other wind deflector. As I was pulling the other one out of the box I heard a rattling around. I thought one of the clips broke or something, I was about to lose my s**t. Dude that sent me the wind deflectors sent these also in the box (rattling around loosely). Not sure what they originally came on, but they're pretty sweet.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nothing too exciting. The power folding mirrors are installed and working 100%, just visibility kind of sucks because they are a RHD set. The Spoon glass really didn't help much with that, though it did just a little bit. I'm still staring at my arm while I drive. The LHD mirrors are on the way, going to swap the bases so they sit properly.

Weird hesitation issue remains, even after swapping the ECU it seems. Not quite sure what this is. May end up time to do the swap before I can pinpoint it.

Some pics

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Now the car is stalling at stops when it's cold and I've been getting a couple P0133 codes here and there :(

Had to place an order with P:JDM to get them to send me the rubber piece and metal hose fitting for the intake to connect the AASV, which I'm sure is causing some pre-operating temp issues. Still waiting on that. I was going to get a T shirt, but everything on their site is sold out, but it lets you order it (douchebags). Instead I got reservoir covers, cuz I need those :lol:

Majestic order should be here today I hope. Ordered new door garnishes, since mine are all f***ed up from the double stick tape on there before. (more douchebags!) Also ordered the rubber trim that goes in between the lips and the bumper, for my new Si rep lip. Figure it's time to retire this guy:

When I get a new bumper, I'll get a nice lip. In the meantime, the car looks like ass at stock height without a lip or something. :D

Hopefully new headlights arriving today or tomorrow also, so I can get them painted and get the retrofits in and working properly!

Also considering doing away with the red LEDs inside and just going with clean white. Thoughts? Just seems more inviting and cleaner in the end, more subtle I guess...

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Found a complete MT P2P Intake Manifold with throttle body, TPS, MAP, IACV, PCV, fuel rail, injectors, yadda yadda, pulled and shipped to me for $65. Since I can't seem to coordinate times with the girlfriend to rip our cars apart and try different parts, this was a damn good price and I'm sure I can sell most of it when I'm done with it for what I paid.

In the mean time, the car runs like ass and then it's fine. This change in mood can happen in a matter of minutes, like stop light to stop light. Waiting for my intake piece and then will swap the TPS when then IM comes it to check all of that out.

But here are some useless mods that no one cares about but whatever, it's fun to play and everyone loves pictures, so PICTURES!

Lip installed with rubber molding, think it looks a little cleaner and proper... I guess.

New door garnishes, cuz the old ones were wrecked from the double stick tape not coming off :(

Super easy to remove and install

So much better

Kind of way more excited about this thing than I thought I would be. Dude is selling them on eBay, I thought it was kinda dumb but thought it could be fun and maybe add a little something under the hood. I like it :D

I went with the lettering based off the EK9 tags. No idea what the GF was from, but I stole it and put my chassis code instead. The 11 was the "facelift" Civic and then my number Civic to role off the line =)

Measure up!

Drill and rivet

Perfect!

JDMasf*** :lol:

New headlights ( not OEM :( ) to put my retrofits in. Going to go for a DIY CTR look and then put a sealant over them to keep them nice for as long as I can.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I actually like the engine label too. It's a nice subtle touch. Car is looking good overall. I need to pick up some Plast-X and do my headlights too. They're looking REALLY bad. Hopefully they can be salvaged.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
*Edit - wondering if with a K swap, should use an ITR swap instead of a CTR due to the larger spindles... Everything I read says RSX = 36mm axle, TSX I have no idea, and I know the JDM ITR swaps are 36mm so it seems like it would be better to use for the swap...
Civic type r has 36mm as well. So for a five lug conversion you're good either way. I'm using 32mm swap axles from Insane Shafts with no problems.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I actually like the engine label too. It's a nice subtle touch. Car is looking good overall. I need to pick up some Plast-X and do my headlights too. They're looking REALLY bad. Hopefully they can be salvaged.
Thanks Joe, it grew on me pretty quick once I mocked it up.

Plast-X on rough headlights is going to kill your finger tips, forewarned :lol:

Civic type r has 36mm as well. So for a five lug conversion you're good either way. I'm using 32mm swap axles from Insane Shafts with no problems.
Yea, the more I looked into it, I noticed that info and you're swapping axles anyway, so stock shafts have to go. They'll have what I need when the time comes anyway, so either way, it's just whatever is in good shape and cheapest.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got the new headlights apart. Was pretty impressed with how well they were sealed, and without TONS of goop just smashed all over hell.

Kinda pissed about the reflector. Wasn't supposed to be there. But really, there's not much in the way of headlights you can buy that don't have that, unless you're forking out $300+ for simple SiR headlights :(

Tested the "Smoke Blackout" paint on the Civic emblem that fell off my car a while back, looks pretty good. Shot the headlights here. Not so worried about messing them up since I have a set of the smoked headlights that came broken, I can steal the insides from those if these come out shitty. So far, I think they look OK. :what:
They won't be everyone's cup of tea, and they're not $1000 CTRs (OK, OK, $600 used) ( I still want CTRs :( )

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My Password:JDM order came in, good stuff

Now to make 2...

... become 3.

Connected

I will say that reconnecting the AASV to the intake has made a HUGE difference in the way my car runs when it's cold and also when I slower to take off, it doesn't chug and hop like it's not getting enough gas.

Updated engine bay (whoopie)

The more I look at the painted chrome, the more I want to try something a little closer to gun metal. The problem with general black paint is it's not the black I need, it's off. So I found MetalCast Dark Smoke by DupliColor online, should be here tomorrow. Will spray the other set I have and go from there.

SeaFoamed the car last night. Wasn't too crazy but got a show out of it. Suck it right in through the brake booster line, let it sit for a bit and then blow it out. Ran it hard for a few miles after and it cleared up pretty quick. Mostly I'm hoping if I had crap in the injectors, it may slowly clean it out (half can in a full tank, half can into the intake manifold).

After the smoke cleared out, the car was pulling really well. Taking it back home, driving normal, felt great, very responsive. Heading to work this morning, normal driving, shifting like 3k, not really getting on it at all, drove great, felt responsive. Not getting hopeful, but this is how I wish it would stay..

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got the brackets for my lip. After 5 incorrect packages, I finally got them. Looks way better, also sits way lower. I'm such a tard.

Extra complete intake manifold

Spare D16 tb on the right of the free B18 60mm tb

Stripped. Need to find someone to port match the tb inlet on the manifold for the new throttle body.

SO in BIGGER news. Put the headlights together. By the way, the metal cast dark smoke is s***, it just came out a flat spray painted looking gray. So that's a no. Semi final product on the black chrome housings:

Before:

After:

Cutoff (and WAY brighter output)

Pretty happy with the end results. Everything TRS sent me to replace my previous issues were spot on, except the replacement bulb was completely messed up. It would fire and then shut off.

Instead of using D2S ballasts however, I used AMP ballasts with AMP <-> D2S straight adapters so I could use the OEM rubber seals for the back of the headlights. Worked perfectly, was awesome.