WWII Vet becomes U.S. Citizen

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/119285314.html
SEATTLE (AP) - Leland Davidson always knew he was an American. Now he'll have a certificate from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to prove it.

The 95-year-old Davidson, a resident of Centralia, was born in British Columbia to parents from the United States. The family moved back to the U.S. when he was 5. Davidson grew up and served in the Navy during World War II.

He recently applied for an enhanced driver's license so he could visit Canada. But when he was asked for proof of citizenship, he had nothing to show but his Canadian birth certificate.

Davidson's family began to worry he could lose his Medicare and Social Security. With help from KOMO-TV and Sen. Patty Murray's office, Davidson received an application for citizenship.

Then he located proof that his parents were born in America, which automatically makes him a U.S. citizen.

He also qualifies for citizenship for having served in World War II, said Sharon Rummery, an Immigration Services spokeswoman. And he did not have to pay the usual $600 fee for the certificate. It takes the place of a birth certificate as proof of U.S. citizenship.

Davidson is one of about 60 people having their citizenship confirmed in a ceremony Tuesday in Seattle. Most are children of parents who have become naturalized citizens or who were adopted from overseas.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think him fighting for our country in WWII (or any war for that matter) should have automatically granted him citizenship. Then again, don't you have to be a citizen to join the military? Or was it different back then?

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think him fighting for our country in WWII (or any war for that matter) should have automatically granted him citizenship. Then again, don't you have to be a citizen to join the military? Or was it different back then?
:word:...

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
They weren't exactly doing thorough background checks, MANY young men that died were underage, or had joined when they were underage, some joining as young as 16.

emerican

Registered VIP
Very glad to hear this man dosent have to worry about losing any of his programs. I agree jsut for fighting in the war or anywar he should automatically became one shouldnt have to prove anything, but im very glad he didnt have to pay the fees and people where willing to help. Usally sadly people wouldnt really care and let him fall through the cracks in the system im very glad this didnt happen to him.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They weren't exactly doing thorough background checks, MANY young men that died were underage, or had joined when they were underage, some joining as young as 16.
Records were not kept back then like they are now.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good to hear!
I have a friend who is cambodian. His parents immigrated here from cambodia. His father fought with the americans against his own people. I think that is enough for citizenship right there...

sf22189

names Brenton
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Military or not he was a citizen anyways. Like the article says, he was born to American citizen parent(s). Having American citizens as parent(s) automatically grants you citizenship OR having foreign parents but born on US soil makes you a citizen.