y7 to y8 IM/TB swap

LXDriver

More HP is always good
5+ Year Member
I wanna di the swap but I'm not sure if my car will pass the smog test here in california with all its regulations and stuff, does anyone know if it will or if it will cause any problems? Also the parts I need from a y8 is the IM, TB, and the y8 throttle body rotor right? Anything else?

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wanna di the swap but I'm not sure if my car will pass the smog test here in california with all its regulations and stuff, does anyone know if it will or if it will cause any problems? Also the parts I need from a y8 is the IM, TB, and the y8 throttle body rotor right? Anything else?
is your current y7 manual or auto?

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
make sure you get a Y8 AUTO manifold AND throttle body if you want it to be plug and play. a MANUAL IM and TB can be used, but the IACV setup is different, and you will have to do some minor wiring, and block off the hole.
check this out for help...
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/45024-swapping-y8-intake-manifold-onto-y7.html

i don't see a reason why you shouldn't pass smog considering you'll still be running a different stock intake manifold that passes smog already...

LXDriver

More HP is always good
5+ Year Member
By the way, the parts are from a donor manual '97 EX and mine's a 2000, would that matter? I'll get the parts next weekend when I meet up with the guy

DuckIt

Probably nothing...but y8 manis flow and look like 10x better

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

RonJ

Banned
This swap is not worth your time or money. There's no real benefit with respect to performance.

LXDriver

More HP is always good
5+ Year Member
This swap is not worth your time or money. There's no real benefit with respect to performance.
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it adds a couple HP cuz of the less restrictive air flow into the engine. All the places, diy's, posts, and forums I've searched have said the same thing. A swap, headers, exhaust, or adding vtech woul be much better I'm sure, but I dont need that as I dont abuse my car, all I want is a little extra push here and there.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
^^If you want to look like you know what you are talking about then you just discredited yourself by saying "vtech"...

RonJ

Banned
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it adds a couple HP cuz of the less restrictive air flow into the engine. All the places, diy's, posts, and forums I've searched have said the same thing. A swap, headers, exhaust, or adding vtech woul be much better I'm sure, but I dont need that as I dont abuse my car, all I want is a little extra push here and there.
First, my intention was to educate not to offend you. I just wanted to point out that gaining a few hp will yield an absolutely imperceptible power gain, if that's what you are after. Consider turbo/forced induction if power is what you are looking for, though this will cost more and require more research.

LXDriver

More HP is always good
5+ Year Member
First, my intention was to educate not to offend you. I just wanted to point out that gaining a few hp will yield an absolutely imperceptible power gain, if that's what you are after. Consider turbo/forced induction if power is what you are looking for, though this will cost more and require more research.
The thing is im in cali and all its emissions laws, so I dont even bother to look at that stuff that needs direct unrestrictive air flow in and out the car

RonJ

Banned
The thing is im in cali and all its emissions laws, so I dont even bother to look at that stuff that needs direct unrestrictive air flow in and out the car
If you like how your modified products will look under your hood, then it's fine. Just realize that no real performance enhancement will come from them.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im gonna haveta go with ronJ on this one... it doesn't really add any HP it just changes the torque curve a bit. i can attest to this because i did a y8 manifold swap way back when i used to have a y7

DuckIt

Who cares. His car. His money.

If i had a y7, id swap a y8 mani on too just because i hate how the y7 manis look.

RonJ

Banned
Who cares. His car. His money.

If i had a y7, id swap a y8 mani on too just because i hate how the y7 manis look.
What's important is whether the OP cares or not. We give members information, and they can do what they want with it.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's a worthwhile swap if you want to use a strut bar and not have issues with it hitting your intake.

LXDriver

More HP is always good
5+ Year Member
Mmmmm well I was doing it for the performance gain, but since Jersey8 said what he said, then I'll just forget about it and save myself the money, I could still do it to add a strut bar but thats like whatever to me. Thanks all of you though. Guess I'll buy a radiator with that money then cuz mine is already cracked from the top, although my car does not overheat at all, just in case.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah radiators definitely more portent. Just save a couple hundred and pick up a b18b1. Not too expensive and much better
Then the y7 or y8. Hell I'd swap one in my girls car if I could keep it auto for her. And trust me getting the engine BARd is not hard at all If ur worried about it