Brand New Knock Sensor
AEM Tru Time Cam Gear
Fresh Hone for Cross Hatching.
ARP Head Studs
Clutch and Flywheel
All New Coolant Hoses
New Air Filter
P2P ECU OBDII

I have been working on this for a while now. It is not my DD. It used to be my wife's and she would like to drive it again some day. All symptoms sound like timing to me. If I use a timing light and time it, it back fires when it's rev'd. This happens no matter what my mechanical timing is. I currently have it timed at 6 degrees advanced in mechanical timing to make it drivable. If I give it throttle while cruising, it shutters when I press the pedal down and then again when I let it out. It also seems more sluggish then before the swap. Also, when I start the engine and it is cold it will idle for about 15 secs and then start to die. Then the rpms pick up just fine for a couple seconds. This will happen 3 or 4 times before it goes to a normal idle and stays there. It misses sporadically at idle. The block is a Y7. I am using Y7 injectors, Y8 I/M, and Y8 Dizzy. I am lost from here. I'd really like to get this running. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DuckIt

i remember reading something about how the y7/y8 aem cam gears arent timed correctly. Maybe do some research with that? I think they had the same timing as a z6. Maybe thats the problem.

donkeylips87

I made sure it's a manual ECU. I'll look into it, but I am 95% certain that the Y7 and Y8 doesn't actually require an adjustable cam gear. I only got it iin case of future upgrades.

codeman76

You need to use the y8 240cc injectors the y7 injectors are 190cc. Also is your y8 intake manifold from an auto or manual?

RonJ

Banned
Have you compression tested the cylinders?

Post clear pictures of the mechanical timing showing the cam gear and crank pulley set at TDC1.

Alternatively, just remove the adjustable cam gear and re-install the stock Y8 one. The adjustable cam gear is not doing anything for your set up. Are you preparing to boost?

donkeylips87

I'm at work right now protecting freedom and democracy. If I get a chance I will do this tonight when I get home. Thanks for the responses.

donkeylips87

I finally got off my butt and took some pictures. I've been sick as a dog all week. I also did a valve alignment. Little to no improvement was shown. This is with the mechanical timing set to 0 degrees. I couldn't get the engine to rev past 3k and it sound like it was out of time.
I have not compression tested the cylinders.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Willing to put a lot of money on the fact that the aem cam gear isnt helping u at all...

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
How does it not let you rev past 3k, does it sound like a fuel cut?

donkeylips87

Got it! The intake air temperature sensor and the Evap Purge Valve were mixed up. It runs so much better. The only issue I have with it now is it nearly dies at cold idle. It runs real rough for about 20 secs then it will even out and idles fine. Thanks for the help.

donkeylips87

Except for a rough idle when it's cold it runs great. I hope there is no damage to the ECU. What are the chances it's damaged?

RonJ

Banned
Except for a rough idle when it's cold it runs great. I hope there is no damage to the ECU. What are the chances it's damaged?
You'd open the ECU and look for any blown capacitors.

In the meantime, any CEL codes? Do you have an FITV? If not, try adjusting the idle speed.

donkeylips87

You'd open the ECU and look for any blown capacitors.

In the meantime, any CEL codes? Do you have an FITV? If not, try adjusting the idle speed.
No CEL. I don't have a FITV. I have an IACV. The best way to describe the idle Is its like someone sprayed ether into the intake. I'll play with it a little more tomorrow. Thanks for the help again.

donkeylips87

I opened up the ECU and I didn't see any burnt or BBQ'd components. It doesn't smell either. So all indications tell me it's good to go. I took it for a ride and it ran great. I am going to clean the IACV tomorrow and see if that helps. The IACV needs some cleaning pretty bad. The RPMs are hunting on and off. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Kurtis

donkeylips87

Well the IACV is clean but it is still hunting up and down every once in a while when it is warm. I am going to replace the IACV. The engine still nearly dies at idle when cold. Is there something I am missing? Other than those 2 things the car runs great.

Kurtis