yo yo yooo!

biglou954

Heyyyy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey guys! i want to get a dslr! but i have no clue what to buy? im pretty good with taking pics and stuff. ive heard that nikons got more lense options. im like a total newb wen it comes to lenses and the numbers and all the other cool stuff. so i was just wondering what you guys would recomend for me to start with?

heres a couple i found but i dont know if they any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830113088
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830113037

so yea i want to get into dslr and get away from my cheap camera!
thanks

89SiGUYrex

Live Free or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think canon has more lens options, canon is a little easier to use for the entry level but either one is good. canons rebel xt or xti is a good starting camera, the nikon d40 or the d40x i think would be a good camera.

http://sigma4less.com/canon-eos-digital-rebel-xti-400d-101-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-black-kit-with-canon-zoom-wide-angle-normal-18-55mm-f35-56-autofocus-lens--usa-.html -XTi
http://sigma4less.com/canon-eos-digital-rebel-xt-350d-80-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-black-kit-with-canon-zoom-wide-angle-normal-18-55mm-f35-56-autofocus-lens--usa-.html -XT
http://sigma4less.com/nikon-d40x-102-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-body-with-nikon-zoom-wide-angle-normal-18-55mm-f35-56g-ed-ii-af-s-dx-zoom-nikkor-autofocus-lens--usa-.html -d40x
http://sigma4less.com/nikon-d60-slr-digital-camera-kit-with-18-55mm-vr-lens--usa-.html -d60
just search before you buy. try bhphotovideo.com if you want to read reviews on stuff but i find that sigma4less.com is the cheapest and they are a very good site as well not a scam site.

TAZ_FERIO

7th Gen Civic
5+ Year Member
I work at a local camera shop so i deal with this kind of question alot. if your looking for something stupid easy to use go with the nikon D60 but if you want something that will last you I would look at the Sony A350 (has IS in the body) and is 14MP w/ live view. Or the Canon XSi would be cool to....

89SiGUYrex

Live Free or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
taz what have you heard about the sigma dslr?

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I love our Digital Rebel XT. Got it for $400 on boxing day. Stock lense is fine more the shooting I do. Once you get to know the camera it can put out some great photos. Here's a macro I took the other day...

89SiGUYrex

Live Free or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
every camera has potential to be great or else they wouldn't still be on the market. but sometimes you wish you bough something a little different then say whatever mine will do for now til i can afford to make it my backup:twisted:

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've always been a Canon fan. Nikons are good, but Canon lenses are better from what I've been told and read. The macros on that thread are ok, I'm sure you can do those with any DSLR. All the shots that really pop are just using long focal depths so the car stands out more, and then edited boosting saturation and contrast. I'm no pro, but that's just the picture I got. Photoshop touching up can do wonders.

biglou954

Heyyyy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea im good with photoshop!

yea its either between canon rebel or the nikon?

whats the numbers on the lenses mean? how do i get that fish look?

89SiGUYrex

Live Free or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm sure you can do those with any DSLR. All the shots that really pop are just using long focal depths so the car stands out more, and then edited boosting saturation and contrast. I'm no pro, but that's just the picture I got. Photoshop touching up can do wonders.
yup contrast, saturation and the bokeh (blurred backround) make that car pop. the fish eye look is an actual lens and they get expensive. trust me im looking at 2 lenses, a flash, a grip for my camera, another battery and another memory card and its about $1210 and those arent even the expensive canon stuff for the most part besides the grip and battery:shock: ... and thats not including filters i will buy which will cost me a butt load as well.

if you know photoshop thats already one step in the door but that wont get you great photos alone. you have to leanr about exposure, lighting, and so much other crap. canon has a great forum and im sure nikon has a good one somewhere but its now where as big as http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ and the amount of lenses doesnt matter a single bit. its the quality of the lens and there is third party lens like sigma, tamron and quantaray to name some off the top of my head. sure the canon L series lens are nice but some people just cant afford to pay $1000 per or more, unless your a pro or sponsored then you really don't need them in my opinion. nikons i find to have more expensive bodies but lens and acessories at times are cheaper then canon but not by much. and look around in you area what is the dominant brand. up here its nikon but i chose canon without researching but im happy with my choice but i have less people who know canon stuff and can help me with it.

damn lengthy post might add more later if i realize i forgot anything.

AlexM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a raynox mx3000 fish eye lense, $150 only. It's actually for video cameras, but it's the same thread size as our Digital Rebel. Only problem is, that it won't come into full focus for some reason.

89SiGUYrex

Live Free or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cheapest fisheye for canon is $300, you can get distorted images from wide angles or even make the fisheye look in photoshop.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cheapest fisheye for canon is $300, you can get distorted images from wide angles or even make the fisheye look in photoshop.
sure about that? Try ebay, they sell good brand, brand new, cheap!

biglou954

Heyyyy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
aight i found the nikon d40 for $499 and the canon xti for $699 i dont know if i should get the nikon or canon? im on budget so im like stuck ! whats the difference between the d60 and the xti? and the d40?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get the xti off ebay, you can get it for much cheaper brand new

89SiGUYrex

Live Free or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
see i dont like ebay, the d60 has in camera editing where the xti does not. i have had no experience with the in camera editing. any camera will do you fine as long as you research and learn that camera. look at 96 dx hatch or rand0m. i believe they both use the d40 if i am not mistaken and they take marvelous pictures. photography is more about user knowledge than the camera its self. if you look back to photographers like Ansel Adams and see his work from the mid 60's its makes you go wtf that is some sick s**t. and they didnt have the benefit of great equipment either. you can give someone a $3000 camera with a $1200 lens and there pictures are still guna suck if they dont know what they are doing. if you're on a tight budget go for a d40 or rebel XT. if you have the little extra cash go for d60/80 or xti