10+ Year Member
Thats f**kin ridiculous.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They should go after the employee in a civil suit, it sucks but it's not that surprising.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Read this on a local forum. Didn't read this article specifically, but apparently the owner traded his 69 Camaro SS and 2011 Camaro SS for this.... sucks to be the joyrider. I'm wondering if they can go after him for stealing a vehicle?

EDIT: Where it all started: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333504

Last edited:

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Read this on a local forum. Didn't read this article specifically, but apparently the owner traded his 69 Camaro SS and 2011 Camaro SS for this.... sucks to be the joyrider. I'm wondering if they can go after him for stealing a vehicle?

EDIT: Where it all started: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333504
I don't see why they couldn't. Just because he is an employee there doesn't grant him immunity from the law. They should take them both to court.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's REALLY bad on the dealerships end for customer service. Maybe LEGALLY they don't have to supply a new vehicle to the owner due to the fact it was an employee stealing the car (however they should cover their techs/advisors/porters under their insurance), but this is seriously going to tank their customer service reliability. And I know exactly how much that matters...

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

They most certainly can go after him for stealing. It was in a locked building and he took it WITHOUT permission after hours. We have legally pursued at least 2 lot attendants for doing just that. Luckily for the dealership's sake they were our own vehicles that they took but it was still stealing.

It's REALLY bad on the dealerships end for customer service. Maybe LEGALLY they don't have to supply a new vehicle to the owner due to the fact it was an employee stealing the car (however they should cover their techs/advisors/porters under their insurance), but this is seriously going to tank their customer service reliability. And I know exactly how much that matters...
They don't have to legally supply a vehicle. At this point it is up to the insurance NOT the dealership. They are just doing what the insurance company is feeding them to do.

ALL employees that drive company vehicles, customer vehicles, or manufacturer leased (vehicles that are new but aren't sold yet are still under the manufacturer for most new car dealers) HAVE to have insurance. At least in washington they do. If they are uninsurable the dealership has the right to not hire them.

Also going of the title of this thread blaming GM, this doesn't have anything to do with GM except for the fact that the vehicle was manufactured by them. GM dealerships are not factory owned franchises therefor this falls completely in the hands of this specific dealership and it's insurance company.

This would be like blaming Honda for a hit and run accident.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They most certainly can go after him for stealing. It was in a locked building and he took it WITHOUT permission after hours. We have legally pursued at least 2 lot attendants for doing just that. Luckily for the dealership's sake they were our own vehicles that they took but it was still stealing.

They don't have to legally supply a vehicle. At this point it is up to the insurance NOT the dealership. They are just doing what the insurance company is feeding them to do.

ALL employees that drive company vehicles, customer vehicles, or manufacturer leased (vehicles that are new but aren't sold yet are still under the manufacturer for most new car dealers) HAVE to have insurance. At least in washington they do. If they are uninsurable the dealership has the right to not hire them.

Also going of the title of this thread blaming GM, this doesn't have anything to do with GM except for the fact that the vehicle was manufactured by them. GM dealerships are not factory owned franchises therefor this falls completely in the hands of this specific dealership and it's insurance company.

I was also going to note that this wasn't GM's fault also. But why wouldn't the insurance cover this if the employee is under their insurance? Because he was breaking the law and it wasn't during operating hours?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP

While this is true and I knew someone was going to say that, it doesn't look good for them anyway. I mean when you see a lowered civic/integra with rims and an exhaust the rest of the world has a very specific stereotype correct? Anyone who reads this story is always going to have it in the back of their head when going to a dealership PERIOD. I would like to know what insurance they go through as well.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was also going to note that this wasn't GM's fault also. But why wouldn't the insurance cover this if the employee is under their insurance? Because he was breaking the law and it wasn't during operating hours?

I don't know the semantics but the insurance company is pulling the strings in this and it looks like they found a loophole of some sort. I would figure it would be like a normal wreck where the insurance pays out at a depreciated rate or fixes the vehicle. They most certainly wouldn't supply a new vehicle when the damaged one is already 2 years old.

Last edited:

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Stuff like this makes me so glad I quit working at dealerships(and that business in general) years ago. If I were the owner of that car I'd sure as hell be suing the hell out of the dealership and employee.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't know the semantics but the insurance company is pulling the strings in this and it looks like they found a loophole of some sort. I would figure it would be like a normal wreck where the insurance pays out at a depreciated rate or fixes the vehicle. They most certainly wouldn't supply a new vehicle when the damaged one is already 2 years old.
But it's a valuable vehicle. It's not like a base model Camaro or even an SS.

Stuff like this makes me so glad I quit working at dealerships(and that business in general) years ago. If I were the owner of that car I'd sure as hell be suing the hell out of the dealership and employee.
Same here (since Tesla isn't a dealership ;)). But yeah if the dealer or the insurance isn't doing it I'd definitely go after the dumbass who stole my car! That's not an honest mistake. It's not like I take my clients Roadsters and rip them around (as much as I'd love to!).

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that sucks big time.

The only way i would be happy is if they gave me a car equal to or better.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow. This has (and SHOULD) the potential to get this dealership shut down. If they are at all smart, they will take some damage control measures, and make this right. This is horses***. I would be suing the ever-loving s*** out of everyone if this were me...

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
From what I've heard this past weekend a few cars on the lot were vandalized. Probably by pissed off people who heard this story.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
From what I've heard this past weekend a few cars on the lot were vandalized. Probably by pissed off people who heard this story.
Seriously? That's not cool.

Vandalize the f**king service writer's car.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've been skimming through that Camaro5 post, mainly looking for updates from John (car owner). Lol at all the keyboard lawyers trying to tell him what to do. Dude is being smart and handling it quite well.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea, like that's going to help the situation.

Pretty much what's going to happen is that :

The insurance will pay off the car and he will have to look for a new one.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol this happens often. bmw dealers have had the same problem, i know an evo in years past popped up like this, i mean the list goes on and on. remember, your warranty is only good if the dealer does the work, but if the f**k it... well thats not covered in the warranty ;)