1997 DX hatch

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe its something that works with the dual runner system for the base model. Like an actuator, similar to the integra gsr intake manifold

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I believe its something that works with the dual runner system for the base model. Like an actuator, similar to the integra gsr intake manifold
Thanks for the help CHILD. I think I found it. Part #14:

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=RSX&catcgry2=2002&catcgry3=3DR+BASE+(LEATHER)&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=INTAKE+MANIFOLD&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no&systemcomp=List All&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sorry I haven't updated for a while, but school just started and I've been really busy.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I noticed this:

Dreaded quarter panel rot. Right now, it is only on one side and appears to only be on the surface. What do you guys suggest I do to fix it, I want to stop it from spreading, while its still not that bad.

Problem number 2:

One day on my way to work, I went over a small bump and heard a loud crack, like my front towhook had scraped the ground, except that I always go over that bump without scraping. When I got to work, I checked under the car and couldn't find anything, so I just dismissed it. Recently, I had been noticing this sputtering noise coming from the engine when I got on the gas. I was 90% it was an exhaust leak and I would need a new gasket or something. However, I was cleaning up the bay some this weekend and when I took off the exhaust manifold heat shield, I found, to my dismay, a 1-1/2" crack in my header.

So I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. My car is getting inspected next week and I already know they are going to replace the rear trailing arm bushings. I'm hoping they won't notice the crack and then I can replace it when I have a chance.

Do you guys suggest a relatively inexpensive aftermarket header or an OE replacement? I was looking on Majestic Honda and a new manifold is outrageously priced, I think it might be cheaper to go aftermarket. I just don't want to spend a lot, because I will eventually be swapping the engine.

Finally some good news. After doing the rear disc conversion, my rear brakes were the same size as my fronts and I've been searching for an upgrade ever since. Well after two sellers flaking out on me at the last minute, it looks like I'm going to get a really good deal on some GSR front brakes with a GSR cluster thrown in practically for free.

civic98ek

Registered VIP
your from PA! haha i actually put a greddy style ebay catback on my car with a megan racing test pipe a total of 200 dollars and i LOVE it sounds amazing and has a nice deep tone to it thats what id suggest. car looks really good tho very clean i love it

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont get an ebay cat back. they sound like ass

but as for that crack, but quick steel and patch it for now?

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So, I dropped my car off for inspection last night and I've had so many problems since. First of all, the garage couldn't find my registration and it turned out it was expired. I had to do a quick registration thing online and print it out and take it to the shop. Then they started working. First, they said one of my tires was bad, so I had to take in my steelies which have better tires than my Si's and swap them out. Then they told me that my front left engine mount was bad and would need to be replaced, $145. Then they said that the Energy Suspension bushings I bought for the rear trailing arms don't fit and they want $125 for the "correct" parts and $220 for installation. Personally, I think they are just trying to gip me and not install the parts I bought so they can jack up the prices on the parts they provide. The parts are extremely overpriced, but I don't know what to do. The car is at the shop right now with the rear suspension completely disassembled. The worst part, they didn't do emissions yet, where they will probably find the cracked exhaust manifold and then fail my car anyway after all this. I hate taking my car to the shop. I wish I had the time to do all the work myself, I would save so much money. I'm so frustrated right now and to make it all worse I have to take the bus to school again tomorrow.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good lord those are some high prices. i say f**k em and do it yourself

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, I finally got my car back from the shop last night. $632.63. I am really pissed, the said they couldn't put in the Energy Suspension rear trailing arm bushings I provided, so they charged me $150 for OEM ones. They also said that I "didn't need an alignment" after entirely taking apart my rear suspension, so now my car pulls to the right. Worst part, I just paid the same shop to align it less than two months ago. So it looks like I'm looking for a new garage haha. The only good news, if you can even call it that, is that they didn't notice the cracked exhaust manifold so it still passed.

Sorry I've been complaining so much lately, but i just need a way to release my stress.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn dude, you have every right to complain. They screwed you. Get a new garage. At least you passed still.

epic_civic

after reading all this, looks like the build you have is going great besides the minor things going on. i have a 98 CX and it doesn't even look as clean as yours. I bought it with a dent in the passenger rear quarter panel and with both o2 sensors needing to be replaced. Then back in July my exhaust fell apart in the middle of traffic so that was fun. But soo far, from what i can tell, your build is coming together really good bro.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So yeah, I'm definitely looking for a new shop. Innovative Motorworks, check out their website, is right down the street from me, so if I need anything, they can probably do it. They just don't do inspections.

after reading all this, looks like the build you have is going great besides the minor things going on. i have a 98 CX and it doesn't even look as clean as yours. I bought it with a dent in the passenger rear quarter panel and with both o2 sensors needing to be replaced. Then back in July my exhaust fell apart in the middle of traffic so that was fun. But soo far, from what i can tell, your build is coming together really good bro.
Haha wow, that sucks about the exhaust. Your car doesn't look too bad either though. Trust me, my car isn't that perfect, I just try really hard to keep it nice and shiny haha.

IACivicSi

After going through this thread, I like your build. It sucks that sometimes shops overprice you, I always attempt it myself, and if I'm sure it's out of my league, I go to an actual mechanic I personally know. But keep up the good work and finish your school, no need to rush on a car that still gets you from A to B.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
After going through this thread, I like your build. It sucks that sometimes shops overprice you, I always attempt it myself, and if I'm sure it's out of my league, I go to an actual mechanic I personally know. But keep up the good work and finish your school, no need to rush on a car that still gets you from A to B.
Yeah, I wish I could've done the work myself, but I am just so busy. Thanks for your support.

Since a complete motor swap is out of the question right now,I need a new exhaust manifold anyway, and I just can't live any longer without VTEC, I was considering a "mini-me" swap. What do I need besides the D16Y8 head and the EX ecu? Could anyone who has done this swap before tell me what they are doing as far as exhaust and wiring goes. I know that I will need the EX exhaust manifold, but I'm confused about which cat to use and if it will fit with the rest of my stock piping. As far as wiring, all I know is that I need to run a VTEC wire to the the EX ecu. Yes, before you tell me to search, I have, but I've found varying answers on different sites and was just hoping to hear from someone who had actually done the swap themselves.

Decipher

Registered VIP
The car looks great with the lips on and everything painted. Those Si's look really good on her. This ride is coming along nicely man... keep it up.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
For a cat, you need one for a 96-00 ex or si. Your stock exhaust won't work with a cat like that unless you cut it and match it. the A-pipe and B-pipe of a 96-00 ex/si coupe will fit but you need a hatchback axle back muffler. Also a 95 civic si (vtec model) hatchback full exhaust will bolt right up.
Any exhaust labeled to fit a 96-00 civic type r will bolt up with the cat as well.

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I ended up not getting the D16Y8 head in favor of something much better.

EM1 front lower control arms and sway bar(same parts as the CTR)

I bought them for $175 from a guy who just finished a K-swap on his EM1 and had to swap to an EG front subframe. Needless to say, this is a great deal. They are a little rusty, but I started to sand them down and all of it is on the surface. With some fresh paint, the parts will look brand new.

Also, the guy I bought them from is a mechanic at the local Honda dealer, so he was super helpful and included a (Honda Genuine Parts)box with all the necessary mounting hardware including: end-links in really good condition, d-brackets, front strut forks(the EM1/CTR front lower control arms are thicker because they are a stamped piece, rather than a two-piece unit), and various other nuts and bolts.

I'm going to wait to install it until I have the CTR rear sway bar and ASR subframe brace, because I don't want to have crazy understeer.

I will be able to work on these parts after school over the winter. My goal for this winter is to collect all the suspension/brake parts I want and take a few days off this spring to install them.

Parts to buy:
CTR rear sway w/ end links
ASR rear subframe brace
EX/Si front steering knuckles
EX/Si or GS-R front calipers
Si prop valve
Si or GS-R brake booster and MC
maybe even some new coilovers(Progress Series II)

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Despite parking in the very back of my high school's parking lot, some dumb girl still managed to hit my car today after school.

I walked out and there was a girl crying and her mom, who works at the school. Basically, this girl had her license for two days and already got in an accident. She swung way too wide and just ran into my car with her bumper. She was in a Honda Pilot, so all that happened to her car was a little scratch on the front bumper.

I was pretty mad and the mom started yelling at me for judging her daughter. Then the dad came and he sent the mom and daughter away and apologized for how rude they were. We talked and he said that they just want to give me cash for the repairs so her insurance rates don't get raised. The main damage is the taillight, which is shattered and needs to be replaced. Otherwise, the rest is just scuff marks and one 1" long vertical scratch in the paint by the taillight.

My plan is to take it to a body shop on Monday get an appraisal then just get the cash from her parents and buy a new taillight. I can rub the scratches off with my hand and I will just throw some primer over the scratch so it doesn't rust. So I'm hoping that the estimate is high due to the need for paint and I can get away with only spending $101.43 for a new taillight and keep the rest. I guess we'll see.

All in all this has just been a stellar week for me. I also found out that 3 of the 4 colleges I was going to apply to won't accept me because I didn't take 2 years of preforming art courses in high school, even though I plan to be an engineer.