'96 Civic D16y7: Build Suggestions

Stephen staly

So I'm new to Hondas and I wanna build my d16y7 and get more pull for somewhat cheap without a head swap or a turbo ect what can I do to get more gain?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I wanna build my d16y7 and get more pull for somewhat cheap without a head swap or a turbo ect what can I do to get more gain?
Nothing.
Budget and goals will guide you.
How fast do you want to be, how much do you have to spend?
If you want to be "fast" you bought the wrong car.
Cheap, fast, reliable....you can only choose two.

Stephen staly

Nothing.
Budget and goals will guide you.
How fast do you want to be, how much do you have to spend?
If you want to be "fast" you bought the wrong car.
Cheap, fast, reliable....you can only choose two.
Well over time quite a bit but I'm trying to get some gain what could I add to got more pull out of my car. I would be interested in a swap but that's alot of bs sensors ect some crazy s**t. It's all stock and its not bad I just don't know where to start. I do have a cold air intake. What about a throttle body spacer and a big bore throttle body. Theres gotta be something

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just like I said before, budget and goals!
Why waste money on d series motor parts if you plan to swap to a b series down the road, for example.

I'm going to post what I posted a few days ago....

BEFORE YOU DO ANY MODIFICATIONS & since you may not know much about the car, get it running as best as possible in its current stage. A basic tune-up is in order.
Replace:
-Distributor cap and rotor
-Spark plugs & wires
-All filters (air, fuel, oil)

Fix anything broken, replace and maintain EVERYTHING as much as possible, spark plugs, brakes, bushings, belts, bearings, ball joints, & fluids. Replacing what needs to be maintained gives you a certain point of reference of what exactly has now been done and shouldn't have to be worried about for a while, instead of guessing or waiting for something to break unexpectedly. It also gets you to know and understand various parts of the car, knowledge that will help you for the rest of your life.

Get used to the way it drives, the way it handles, the way it performs... after you get used to it, then go for something bigger, IE; engine swap, rebuild, turbo, etc.
Be patient and start reading, searching, planning and saving for whatever project you come up with. Don't cut corners or cheap out. Most importantly, there is a lot of false information running around on the World wide web, be careful and do lots of searches to compare answers.

Do not fall into the "well if I'm replacing it, i might as well 'upgrade' it"mentality. This could be a waste of money, until you figure out what you want to do EXACTLY with your car. In MOST cases there is nothing wrong with OEM/stock, so stick to stock replacement parts.

For example, don't just get an ACT performance clutch kit because you're replacing the clutch. It's unnecessary, a waste of money, and will make driving a less comfortable experience. There's no reason to just "upgrade" your brakes to DA Integra front knuckles and rear discs as the stock set up is fine for street driving.

Things recommended for upgrading while replacing worn out parts are:
-Shocks (not including springs, OE springs work fine.
-Tires
-K&N drop in filter

Last edited:

Stephen staly

Just like I said before, budget and goals!
Why waste money on d series motor parts if you plan to swap to a b series down the road, for example.
Bc I'm a enthusiast so factory motor that's kinda snappy would be nice with a little bit of body work I'll have a banging car man. Are d series slow or something? I really have no clue this is my first one ive owned and I've always been a Honda fan. Would it be worth dumping 2-3 grand in it to get 150 HP or so

Stephen staly

Bc I'm a enthusiast so factory motor that's kinda snappy would be nice with a little bit of body work I'll have a banging car man. Are d series slow or something? I really have no clue this is my first one ive owned and I've always been a Honda fan. Would it be worth dumping 2-3 grand in it to get 150 HP or so
If so what could I add to get more horse power I have 2 grand and its my daily as of now

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are d series slow or something? I really have no clue this is my first one ive owned and I've always been a Honda fan. Would it be worth dumping 2-3 grand in it to get 150 HP or so
You're going to need to do some more research, lots out there on these nearing 20 yr old car.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you're truly an enthusiast then you should be researching and not just asking to be spoon fed the information. We have a section dedicated to forced induction alone. You're asking a ridiculously common and frequently asked question that's been heavily covered on this forum alone.

I tweaked your title from "Wanna build my 96 Honda Civic Dx please help" to something more specific. Also, try to avoid using "help" in your future titles as its more of a deterrent because most people don't really need urgent help. Detailed yet short titles go a long way.

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
FYI I closed your other thread. One thread per topic, please =)

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's why I'm on her man my goal is 150 HP with a good suspension after and a decent body kit. What can I do to get more power
With your power goal in mind, 150hp (to the wheels) you're looking at either forced induction or motor swap, and you're going to need to spend upwards of $3k in that alone.
"Good suspension" is relative, what do YOU mean?
When you say body kit, what do you mean? Body kit or lip kit?
Most people in this hobby have no idea when it comes to terminology and use incorrect terms, further confusing others when they ask for help.

What it comes down to, do your OWN research and reading.
You're "build" won't come together overnight, so you have time to research and actually learn.
But I find that's not what most want.
They want instant gratification of a build when a quality, reliable build takes time, money, research and learning.

Look at this build right here.
210hp to the wheels, this wasn't done on a stock civic motor, done overnight, and not for $3k.
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/japan-inspired-ej1.209772/page-7#post-3437070

Last edited:

Stephen staly

With your power goal in mind, 150hp (to the wheels) you're looking at either forced induction or motor swap, and you're going to need to spend upwards of $3k in that alone.
"Good suspension" is relative, what do YOU mean?
When you say body kit, what do you mean? Body kit or lip kit?
Most people in this hobby have no idea when it comes to terminology and use incorrect terms, further confusing others when they ask for help.

What it comes down to, do your OWN research and reading.
You're "build" won't come together overnight, so you have time to research and actually learn.
But I find that's not what most want.
They want instant gratification of a build when a quality, reliable build takes time, money, research and learning.

Look at this build right here.
210hp to the wheels, this wasn't done on a stock civic motor, done overnight, and not for $3k.
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/japan-inspired-ej1.209772/page-7#post-3437070
So what I'm looking to do is a wide body kit no lip full on body kit moulded to the car no seams with offset wheels back a little deeper than the front I would like to set it on coil overs and I would like to do either a b20 or a h22 swap. But I wanna research that more so I can get the one with the most power and that will make the most power

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Dump 3g into it for a turbo and you can have 220hp, or dump 2500 into a swap and have 140-190hp depending on which motor you go with.

Stephen staly

Dump 3g into it for a turbo and you can have 220hp, or dump 2500 into a swap and have 140-190hp depending on which motor you go with.
What I was wondering is would it be worth doing a d16y8 intake swap CAI and a header, punched cat and a 2.25 cat back with high performance coils and s**t and then getting a good tune. I was looking that up.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What I was wondering is would it be worth doing a d16y8 intake swap CAI and a header, punched cat and a 2.25 cat back with high performance coils and s**t and then getting a good tune. I was looking that up.
Honestly, the cost to benefit is not there.
I'd be amazed if you pulled over 105hp to the wheels with all of that.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wow really? I thought it had 100 stock. I guess you really do have to do alot to get decent power
N/A d-series is not the way to go unless you have deep pockets, forced induction is the cheapest and best option for you, you can add a 75 shot of nitrous to a d series for under 1000$ but have fun filling bottles and it much harder on your motor. You can also find a used jrsc supercharger kit for under 2g usually and gain 50-100hp but make sure everything is there.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Seriously tho 300 HP to the wheels has to be one hell of a adrenaline rush. Bc I know all that could make it pull decently.
I just realized you're in Ontario County. I'm basically your neighbor over in Monroe. Baker is around here too. WNY FTW lol.

Anyways, I've seen some turbo D-series motors, not sure I've ever seen a Y7 though. A buddy of mine did a mini-me swap and boosted it, and got almost 200whp out of it on stock internals. It was decently quick, but not jaw dropping.