'96 Civic D16y7: Build Suggestions

Stephen staly

I just realized you're in Ontario County. I'm basically your neighbor over in Monroe. Baker is around here too. WNY FTW lol.

Anyways, I've seen some turbo D-series motors, not sure I've ever seen a Y7 though. A buddy of mine did a mini-me swap and boosted it, and got almost 200whp out of it on stock internals. It was decently quick, but not jaw dropping.
Wny? Ftw? But my biggest wonder is ppl say a VTEC has one VTEC cam and one regular. Is that true and if so can you built motor with two VTEC cams bc I read that I think it was the k series has two VTEC cams and puts out 220 HP.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Wny? Ftw? But my biggest wonder is ppl say a VTEC has one VTEC cam and one regular. Is that true and if so can you built motor with two VTEC cams bc I read that I think it was the k series has two VTEC cams and puts out 220 HP.
vtec doesn't work that way vtec is a third middle lobe on the camshaft itself. you can't "add" more/ another vtec. vtec motors have 3 lobes 2 for low range rpm and the middle lobe is for high rpm which opens the valves more and longer

Stephen staly

vtec doesn't work that way vtec is a third middle lobe on the camshaft itself. you can't "add" more/ another vtec. vtec motors have 3 lobes 2 for low range rpm and the middle lobe is for high rpm which opens the valves more and longer
So can you put in bigger cams so VTEC hits harder. Or a VTEC cam in a sohc d16y7 or does it have one already. Look I'm just researching and making a list to build my first Honda and I love the 96 Dx body style. Especially with my si wing. And also where can you find the Jackson racing supercharger and do you think it would hit harder if I did the d16y8 intake swap first with a bigger throttle body and a spacer.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
So can you put in bigger cams so VTEC hits harder. Or a VTEC cam in a sohc d16y7 or does it have one already. Look I'm just researching and making a list to build my first Honda and I love the 96 Dx body style. Especially with my si wing. And also where can you find the Jackson racing supercharger and do you think it would hit harder if I did the d16y8 intake swap first with a bigger throttle body and a spacer.
yea the upgraded camshaft will have more lift and duration then stock ones. d series are SOHC which mean you have one camshaft that does everything while DOHC has one camshaft that only operates intake valves and the second camshaft operates only the exhaust valve which gives you more adjustability in camshaft tuning wise

check online for one

Last edited by a moderator:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
What do you need to upgrade in order to upgrade a cam
depends on the camshaft you plan on running if you anything with stage 2 and aggressive camshaft you'll need to upgrade to stiffer valve springs and maybe upgrade the retainers depending on the spec of the camshaft and etc.

Stephen staly

depends on the camshaft you plan on running if you anything with stage 2 and aggressive camshaft you'll need to upgrade to stiffer valve springs and maybe upgrade the retainers depending on the spec of the camshaft and etc.
Well I would like to go with a stage two I just don't know how to judge what else I will need

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Well I would like to go with a stage two I just don't know how to judge what else I will need
for stage 2 you can just upgrade the valve springs and you'll be good.those titanium and aluminum retainers aren't really design for daily use but they are optional. they gernally have half the life span of what a steel retainer would have most race cars have them since the car only get driven for short time during race event and for nothing else and get rebuilt/ refreshed before each race event

Stephen staly

for stage 2 you can just upgrade the valve springs and you'll be good.those titanium and aluminum retainers aren't really design for daily use but they are optional. they gernally have half the life span of what a steel retainer would have most race cars have them since the car only get driven for short time during race event and for nothing else and get rebuilt/ refreshed before each race event
Well my cars a daily driver atm so I would like the cam and such to last long

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Well my cars a daily driver atm so I would like the cam and such to last long
you can reuse your stock retainers i have upgraded steel retainers in my head since my car will be street driven for a bit. but valve springs is where you'll really need to focus on when upgrading camshaft to stage 2. stage 1 uses stock valvetrain and give you some improvements.

here what the valve springs look like in general when you start looking for upgraded ones. my are dual valve springs(these design is usually for dohc) yours will just have 1 spring for each valve
11817133_1600130080248418_2460357930707305764_n.jpg

here you can see my valve train the valve spring and the retainers which is the piece that sits on top of the springs. other pieces you see in the picture are my rocker arms. in my case i had to remove them to gain access to my retainers and valve springs.

11888058_1604125449848881_6838152676836587252_n.jpg

would be nice if you guys was more in the eastern NY lol

Stephen staly

i live out in the boroughs lol completely opposite side from you guys lol
Also what brand should I roll with. And I've done a head gasket in my old 86 Nissan hardbody so I have the jist of what that stuff is. Lol idk if I'll even be able to assemble it once I order it. Idfk what I'm even doing I would just like to learn and get a couple more ponies and a little more pull

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
So I need upgraded springs and retainers for daily driving and do I need a tune? But also how can I tell if they are made to be daily drivin
upgraded spring is for any camshaft stage 2 and aggressive camshaft. doesn't matter if you daily drive it or not and yes stage 2 would need a tune afterwards

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Also what brand should I roll with. And I've done a head gasket in my old 86 Nissan hardbody so I have the jist of what that stuff is. Lol idk if I'll even be able to assemble it once I order it. Idfk what I'm even doing I would just like to learn and get a couple more ponies and a little more pull
as for brands look around there a lot you can choose from

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Yes you'll have a whopping 100whp with that cam upgrade, shittier driveability and MPG and still get smoked by stock B series cars all for small price of almost a thousand dollars. Brilliant!

It's a civic dude, swap it or boost it or leave it alone.

Stephen staly

Yes you'll have a whopping 100whp with that cam upgrade, shittier driveability and MPG and still get smoked by stock B series cars all for small price of almost a thousand dollars. Brilliant!

I wanted to build the head and then supercharge it. I do wanna do a tranny swap tho

Stephen staly

Plus do you know how f**king hard that is. Wtf man I put in my post I don't know what I'm doing yet!!! Are you kidding me im probly gonna build a few of these over my life span and I'm not looking to kill myself I just want my car to have some pulll. Seriously learn how to read idiot