98 civic EX, better late than never.

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
Nice work bro looks really cool, love that cluster, did you do a write up on that? Lot of work has gone in to that car & it shows.
lol, i did, if you look a little bit earlier in this thread you will see a picture of a guys head exploding, its an easy thing to swap them but there are little things that drove me crazy and i wound up destroying a cluster and yeah, if you want to do one its simple enough, i might do a write up when i 100% finnish it, still don't have a few things working on it(temp is the main thing that i can't get) but yeah, pm me if you want.

Looks much better where u moved it
OH YEAH IT DOES....i got all done with it above the glove box...stood back to look at it and was like..."this looks like s**t" so i had to go back and change it, but I really like its placement now.

emerican

Registered VIP
i like the plaacement alot better now too man

00civicEXrider

I dont, but many of my friends do. I honestly have my friends show me how to do the work on my car. My car is kinda like a project car until i can get my TL.

leothelion

Registered VIP
Went back to oem steering wheel, some people like aftermarket wheels, i guess I'm just not one of those people. i really like having a air bag and a larger wheel. plus i kinda like the oem wheel now, only thing i might do is get a oem mono wheel, but they are really expensive.

emerican

Registered VIP
I keep toying with the idea of an aftermarket wheel, but it would have to be the perfect one for me just havent found one yet that i really liked that much.

Decipher

Registered VIP
I dig the cluster. Hope you can get everything working on it. DId you get the remote start to let you turn the car off by just removing the key yet? I was digging the wheel too, but whatever feels better to you.

I personally don't think I will ever tamper with my interior, even though it's dull and boring. It took me long enough to get it back to "mint" condition... finding replacements for all the broken parts. The only thing I would consider is swapping out the seats for some leather, if I could find a good deal... but then that would require me to find a black dash, door panels, headliner... or paint it all, which is a f**king headache.

leothelion

Registered VIP
So Im modifying my door handle mood soon. currently i have the fading module tied in with my parking lights, well now I'm going to tie it directly into my unlock wires. here is what i figure.

when you lock your car you don't need the door handle lights to turn on, since your not getting into the car, however when you unlock your car, it is useful to have them light up so you can easily find them.

so when I'm done the lights will light up when i hit unlock on my fob, in addition my alarm system has a ignition controlled locks so when i shut my car off it automatically unlocks the car, which automatically turns those lights on.

my main reason for doing this is because i don't like having those lights on while I'm driving, anyways i will have that up and running soon.

im also going to add some leds on the outside of my car under the door handles, this was probably what got me thinking of another way to wire the leds because i defiantly didn't want those lights under the outside door handles one while i was driving. ;) anyways i will get a video of the system working when i get the chance.

eyitsvic

hey! In this picture. What kind of headlights do you have? They look like HIDS, but they project out so perfectly off the floor.
I just got my HIDS installed from a local body shop for my 98 civic ex coupe, but I think it projects too high and it is scattered throughout the floor. I dont have that solid blue shade you have on the ground.

leothelion

Registered VIP
hey! In this picture. What kind of headlights do you have? They look like HIDS, but they project out so perfectly off the floor.
I just got my HIDS installed from a local body shop for my 98 civic ex coupe, but I think it projects too high and it is scattered throughout the floor. I dont have that solid blue shade you have on the ground.
well...those are not headlights...those are courtesy lights..http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=201071

:lol:

eyitsvic

That sir. Is amazing. I wish I had to tools right now to do it. Haha. Darn, I guess this is a universal problem then. I was thinking maybe I could lower my HIDS.

leothelion

Registered VIP
That sir. Is amazing. I wish I had to tools right now to do it. Haha. Darn, I guess this is a universal problem then. I was thinking maybe I could lower my HIDS.
probably, most shops won't bother to re aim the headlights, but with civics you do need to get a screw driver and re adjust the aiming of them.

and yeah, i like my courtesy lights, though currently I don't have them on right now, I'm working on a different method that just uses led strip lights, which will be a lot easier to install.

leothelion

Registered VIP
So i spend the entire day today on something pointless in now realize. I removed my courtesy lights awhile back. I bought some LED strip lights that came with 3M adhesive on the back. now I am always iffy on using adhesive on projects, I always prefer to use screws and bolts and fabricated housings to make things hold on, however I decided to give it a go and I will say, the 3M adhesive actually holds quite well. I cleaned off the underside of my door between the middle 2 drain holes and stuck the strip light along the bottom so the power wires ran into one of the drain holes. Now I am curious to see just how long the strip will stay in place, I think it might stay on there for quite some time, the bond it has with the metal is surprisingly strong but only time will tell i guess.

The strip light I used has about 3 times the leds that my original lights had. its really quite bright.

I tested using the factory security harness for the power as it has a dome light wire running through it, but it didn't work, not sure why, I didn't cut the loop, its possible that It would work if you did, but i had already run the wire for the lights from my last attempt so i really didn't feel it was necessary to go cutting into factory wring.

But thats not what was pointless. I did a wire management day on the spaghetti mess that i have under my center console from installing my keyless entry/remote start. Well i got it all looking nice and tidy when I realized that some how i messed up the system. you know the status led that most systems have? well mine is on 100% of the time. this would usually indicate that your are in valet mode, however no matter how many times i put it into valet mode and out of it(you can tell because in valet mode you car does not honk on unlock/lock) it still won't go off. and when i arm the system, the light is supposed to flash, but it stays on, when i unlock/disarm the system, the light is supposed to go off, but it stays on. i have turned off the power to it a few times and it still stays on. this tells me that the brain box itself has had a malfunction and something got jamed on. but i wasn't doing anything really, all i was doing when it happened was hooking up my horn and lights and randomly it just stayed on. sigh.

WEll its not a big loss because the system didn't have an alarm on it, which i didn't realize when i purchased it. So i bought the step up, which has a lot of goodies like starter kill relays and onboard shock sensors and ports for audio monitors and proximity receivers. anyways it comes with a nice little siren that hopefully will have a pleasant sounding chirp and all that jazz. I spent $80 on the old system and $130 on the new system. oh well, i maybe able to return the old one but who knows.

anyways i might get some pics of the new courtesy lights up soon, i only have the drivers side right now.