apekd's newyears build, D15B1 BOOSTER

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you sure?
last time i checked with that manifold you needed to trim the webbing.

when i had one(never used it) i test fitted it.

tell me that aint close.

yeah turboing a honda engine is not the same(far from it) then a diesel
lol yeah I seeyour paint with the hood. I'll have to tinker with my current hood, that way I can f**k up on that before the new one.

Yeah the diesels suck. I don't mind working on them, but the new ones have so many problems. a recall for the 08 super duty's is that a f**king machine failed, so a o-ring never made it onto the oil dip stick. I did it in like, half an hour, the job pays for 3 hours. talk about ford being stupid

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get good gauges, not cheap ones.

Boost
EGT
and a Wideband

3 of the most important gauges for turbo.

a volt gauge is compleatly useless, just like a narrowband A/F gauge

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
k here is my question about the wideband. do they work on obd0 ecu's?? and how the hell do you hook htem up to one??and I dont need a 100 buck gauge that reads boost really. But the EGT is a good idea too, f**k, I already have a volts gauge too lol

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a wideband can work on any gas engine.

it dosent go through your ECU.

i would HIGHLY recommend doing more research before boosting.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
you hook up the wideband into your exhaust....i forgot where to hook it in at exactly though

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I know it goes into your exhaust, but after reading the install guide I thought that it hooked into the ecu some how to control it or something. I never really looked at them cause i saw the price and went the other way.

And I have been doing all the research i could ever since I got the car. with school, work, the gym, and helping my brother with his kid, it gets kinda hard to get a lot in everyday.

So let me get this right, the wideband from innovative is the one you program. you set the min and max. You can also use it as a datalogger(right?)

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no no.

you can hook it to a computer (laptop) or just use a gauge, and monitor the air/fuel ratio. and make changes to you map(ecu program) to get the a/f ratio to where you need it.

i have the LC-1 kit, comes with the sensor and the controller, no gauge. i will be getting a gauge (moates.net o-meter). i will be hooking it to my computer when i tune the car so i have all the data in one place.

slowcivic E G

bla bla bla
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
depends on the kind of wideband you get, some such as the aem Uego is a gauge and o2 sensor like thing that are one unit, the sensor which is shaped like an o2 sensor goes in a bung about 12-18 inches from the turbo, in the downpipe and the wires run straight to the individual gauge to give you read. Others such as Innovate, have a sensor, also like an o2 sensor that you either wire to a wideband gauge or to a laptop with the wideband program.
Edit: dang it Steve, in the time it took me to write my response, you typed your own.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
depends on the kind of wideband you get, some such as the aem Uego is a gauge and o2 sensor like thing that are one unit, the sensor which is shaped like an o2 sensor goes in a bung about 12-18 inches from the turbo, in the downpipe and the wires run straight to the individual gauge to give you read. Others such as Innovate, have a sensor, also like an o2 sensor that you either wire to a wideband gauge or to a laptop with the wideband program.
Edit: dang it Steve, in the time it took me to write my response, you typed your own.
lol.

with the innovative, it comes with a controller, so you can get a gauge that works with widebands, or just hook it to a laptop.

if your not going to tune it yourself, you dont really need a wideband.
just find a tuner who uses one.

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no no.

you can hook it to a computer (laptop) or just use a gauge, and monitor the air/fuel ratio. and make changes to you map(ecu program) to get the a/f ratio to where you need it.

i have the LC-1 kit, comes with the sensor and the controller, no gauge. i will be getting a gauge (moates.net o-meter). i will be hooking it to my computer when i tune the car so i have all the data in one place.
But as you say to change the map, that would mean you can hook it up right? Or am I jsut completly missing some piece to this?

EDIT,

ok i see what you guys are saying. I am having a shop tune it for me, I don't plan on running the mega squirt for a while. waiting for my friend to get his ITB setup rolling so he can help me too

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NA tuning is different then Boost tuning.

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh i know they are different. The program is easy to use. But I am not savvy with the ways of the tuner. so I don't know how to make fuel maps for N/a or boost. I would like to learn how to make my own some time next year. Hey do you know if when they tune your car, do they tune it on different boost levels? like, i want it to be ready for 0-5 pounds of boost. so would the fuel map actually incorporate the different boost levels? like, change the A/F mixture to accomodate the more or less boost?

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey green, was your turbo manifold from ebay? just wondering. and if I was to put on the wideband, would it be best to just program it and use the gauge? or since I am having another person tune it, would it just be a waste of time to get it?

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you dont program it, it just reads the a/f ratio.

and yes the manifold i had was ssautochrome/ebay

serach about them

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you dont program it, it just reads the a/f ratio.

and yes the manifold i had was ssautochrome/ebay

serach about them
Oh ok I see. I must have read the manual wrong then. When I read it I thought you had to programit all in like the minimum and maximum. But I get it now.

Yeah those manifold really don't look bad at all. They have some weird ones on there but they look like they can take a beating or two.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well, if anything does end up happening, I am glad my brothers are welders lol. But even though I am on a budget, and I dont wanna spend a lot, it doesnt mean that down the road I wont end up upgrading to a better log style ram horn style. If my friend came through I would have have a ram horn and down pipe for 400, but he ended up selling it to another guy.

So, after a while of consideration, I think I am going to get myself the LC-1 kit down the road. Most likely after the car is running and RE-painted. But I am still getting my gauges so I can monitor some of my data. And my crappy A/F ratio gauge will stay with me till I have money for the LC-1 kit. Then I get to either throw it out, give it away , or make some money off it.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the a/f gauge is just a light show, does not show any useable info.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/civic-crx-del-sol-d15-d16-cast-t3-turbo-manifold_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1222Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem380079023040QQitemZ380079023040QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
that manifold is MUCH better then the one you are getting.
only thing you would need is a wastgate elbow, cause in a 88-91 if you mount the wastegate straight onto the manifold it hits the hood.

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the a/f gauge is just a light show, does not show any useable info.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/civic-crx-del-sol-d15-d16-cast-t3-turbo-manifold_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1222Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem380079023040QQitemZ380079023040QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
that manifold is MUCH better then the one you are getting.
only thing you would need is a wastgate elbow, cause in a 88-91 if you mount the wastegate straight onto the manifold it hits the hood.
I was always told that these manifolds are not good for releaving the exhaust pressure. since the WG is on top of one of the exhaust ports pretty much. But i will see how long this one lasts me, and if it breaks, ill weld it and sell it and then buy the cast.

Yeah I now know about hwo they like to hit the hoods and such. My friend showed me a picture of this guys hatch and all he did was pound on the hood, smooth it out and then drove it. so with this bubble comming out of his hood lol pretty funny, but looked like it would work. Not what I would want to do though

I see what you mean about the AF gauge. It doesnt show numbers so how should I know when the ratio is right or not if it is showing colors and not number. I see your point