apekd's newyears build, D15B1 BOOSTER

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So after a while of thought, and a long time of dealing with my little hp motor, I decided to boost it and say F@$K the B18. So I called up a good friend and he gave me his old T3 T4 turbo. Little shaft play but it will work till I replace it with a new one some time next year. I also just ordered my turbo Manifold, and my Down pipe. On my next check I will be ordering my head set, and my intake manifold as well. I am pretty settled in on the SKUNK2 intake manifold, 260 shipped is the best deal I have seen. Using the LS throttle body, and the retro fitting of DSM injectors. Getting the intercooler from an RX-7 TT. So its about the size of a side mount intercooler, good thing cause it's going right inside behind the passenger headlight. I'm also ordering my BOV and wastegate next month, and my boost gauge and oil filter sandwich as well as my oil pressure gauge. last but not least, the screamer pipe. I'm making a screamer pipe for it so I can open the exhaust and close it as i please. this is so the EF9 SiR cat back doesnt have to handle a lot of the pressure. I'm also ordering my resonated test pipe, along with new OEM exhaust bolts.

Just got my valvetrain seal O-rings from honda today. 16 bucks for 4 freaking o-rings. oh well, no gasket kit i ever saw came with it. I'll post up more pics of everything next week when I get the ball rolling again. Any insights would be nice, nothing rude though you guys.

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well here is the first update. I cleaned up the turbo, and then noticed that it was facing the wrong way. The boost outlet was facing towards the front. I don't need it facing that way, so I decided to move it. I was pretty skeptical at first cause I have messed around with turbos a lot before this, but I havent had to move them like this. But it worked out. So now it is facing upwards so the piping can lead off to the side mount, and then off to the intake. Here are some pics of the turbo:
T3/T4 T04E Hybrid Turbo (abused on my friends GSR turbo before I got it.)

The new position it is now in. I hope to have my oil lines, and sandwich soon too.

I hope to update you guys more in a few days. I should be rebuilding my head tomorrow. And ordering the head set on my next check. Still gotta Hone it out, and then order my new clutch. I'm just stoked cause this is my first build where I did everything on my own without paying a shop. The only thing I am paying them for is to tune it and to chip the PM6 ecu I am waiting for.

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
WooooHOOO! another update!

I just got my o-rings that go between the head and the valve train. Here is the down side. I had to pay 16.61$ for four of these things. They are tiny and they want so much. GAH! oh well, I should have them on the head and the head all back together by Wednesday night. Tonight I might just get started on drilling a hole for some wires, and maybe start on the passenger side tuck and the mpfi swap too. But we will see

Thanks Chaos, I hope to be posting up a few more pics when I get the head together again. I hope that my family will get me a wideband for christmas this year, or something like that. Another thing , I think I should be getting the DOHC ZC block, and with that D16A1 DOHC head, I will be boosting the next car I get, a EK sedan. Man, I can't wait! lol

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got a order all set up with one of the reps from glowshift.com. I am ordering a set of gauges and a gauge pod from them. getting a new tinted voltage, boost, and oil pressure gauges. the total for all that shipped was 145$. Thats not a bad deal. I also got another order setup with one of my neighbors. He has a shop he goes to that did his turbo on his mustang recently. he got me a deal for a BOV, Wastegate, and manual boost controller for 105 bucks. Now I just gotta get it all back in the car with the stage one clutch and i'll be cookin real soon

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
keep us updated
oh, I will make sure of that.
So I feel like a retard (DUUURRDADUR) I looked all over for how a moost controller works. So after I found it I felt stupid. I always thought that you put one onto the BOV to change it on there. well found out I am wrong lol, good thing too cause I almost told my friend that it goes on the BOV. WOW, just wow.

Ok but here is my first question for any turbo junkies here. I am ordering the DSM injectors. on an OBD0 with the injector resistor boc, do you still need to put in the extra resistors? or do you not need to? just gotta know sooner or later.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
if your car already has the resistor box for the injectors then your fine just putting in the injectors....mine is obd0 as well and the car came with a resistor box already so i didnt have to put a resistor box in :lol:

lmao about putting the boost controller on the bov.....learn new things everyday huh ??

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if your car already has the resistor box for the injectors then your fine just putting in the injectors....mine is obd0 as well and the car came with a resistor box already so i didnt have to put a resistor box in :lol:

lmao about putting the boost controller on the bov.....learn new things everyday huh ??
yeah I know huh? I think the only reason I thought that was cause I am so used the electronically controled turbo diesels everyday. lol

Starting on the MPFI swap in a few hours. gotta run up to the store for more wire, some paint, and maybe solder. I think i'll be ordering my DSM bluetops next month, and then I may buy the skunk2 intake

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well today was a good day. I got 2 of the injector wires ready to go, the resistor box is ready, and all that really is left is to change the wires on the TPS, and then look at the wiring diagram for a 1.6 to double check, and then get the vacuum lines hooked up. I was about to do the rest of the injector wires when I ran out of wire. So next weekend I should hope to have it all done, and then paint the bay, finish the tuck and then work on the engine again. This is going really well. cept for how much I have been paying honda for parts. But oh well. its well worth it. here are the pics from today

Did I mention that I am NOT a slob? I like to mark EVERYTHING when it comes to this stuff.

the resistor box

look at that, they are just NEATLY done.

all tinned up and everything

and here are the injector resistor wires, and some injector wires through the firewall

and here are pics of the turbo manifold and turbo. they are to be here on tuesday or wednesday. so I am hoping to see them tomorrow lol

I hope to be ordering my stage 1 clutch, intake manifold, head gasket set, and maybe my resonated test pipe. not sure what all I can get yet. but if anything, I am getting my head gasket set and clutch. I gotta get this b***h together soon. It's killing me when I can't drive it.

Hey chaos, what fuel pump you running? you think the STD, DX and Si have the same stock pumps? j/w cause I wanna know how much fuel my pump cna bring fast enough. dropping the tank isn't what I would plan on doing. Not in the mood for it.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
im running the walbro 255lph....not sure if the models have the same one....ask green he'll know....

should get a stage 3 or 4 clutch....i have the stage 3 and it almost feels like stock....i love how much grip the clutch has....and that way if you up the boost later on you will have a good clutch for it....

nice job on labeling everything....its better to do it right the first time than to have to go back thru and do it all again....nice work !

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get ready to weld that manifold and downpipe.

get a oil restrictor also.
and for the resistor box, it dosent matter what wire goes to injectors. they dont need to be in order

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh and you might need to trim the under side of the hood, depending on what wastegate you run.

im getting ready to make my downpipe now.

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
get ready to weld that manifold and downpipe.

get a oil restrictor also.
and for the resistor box, it dosent matter what red wire goes to injectors. they dont need to be inorder
HEH, my brothe is welding them if anything happens to them. Good thing he is a pro tig welder. whats a oil restrictor? and the only reason I have the tags on the resistor wires is so I know that they are for the injectors, and not anything else. But what do you think about the fuel pump? I don't know if it can handle the 4 or 5 lbs of boost.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yea you will be fine with only 5 lbs of boost....stock fuel pump i think is good for around 220whp...

also read my post above about the oil restrictor

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont rate your setup off of PSI. that wont tell you s**t.

stock pump will be fine for a low hp setup.

i would do somemore reasearch before you boost if you dont know what a oil restrictor does.

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh and you might need to trim the under side of the hood, depending on what wastegate you run.

im getting ready to make my downpipe now.
Well I am getting a new hood soon, so it can wait till then. But I dont think I will need to.

And thanks chaos, I see what it is now. good thing I was already looking on ebay for all the turbo plumbing. here are the gauges I will end up running. I think they are good quality, and easy to use. My friend is running some in his VW
volts

boost

oil pressure

and the gauge holder

150 shipped aint bad, plus I can get me a 2 year warranty if I [ay 10 more lol

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont rate your setup off of PSI. that wont tell you s**t.

stock pump will be fine for a low hp setup.

i would do somemore reasearch before you boost if you dont know what a oil restrictor does.
I wasnt rating it off psi, and I never knew that too much pressure would kill the turbo. I work on diesels that have a high pressure pump that uses 300 psi at idle, and at redline it can be anywhere from 2000psi onwards.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you sure?
last time i checked with that manifold you needed to trim the webbing.

when i had one(never used it) i test fitted it.

tell me that aint close.

yeah turboing a honda engine is not the same(far from it) then a diesel