Brak's 98 EX

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Ghost key is the way to go. I have a kit still uninstalled. Just have not gotten around to it...eerr Im being completely unmotivated.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
process was pretty simple. ended up not needing to remove the steering wheel, which was lucky, because someone destroyed one of the airbag retaining bolts... that's gonna be a nightmare someday...

The thing that took the most time, was repairing the wires that had been spliced into, that weren't part of the ignition harness that got pulled.
luckily there was only 4 or 5, but they were in the most awkward places.

also finding a place to mount the sensor was tricky, as you need to consider positioning when you're in the drivers seat.
i mounted mine in the center console next to the shifter.

I always take my wallet out of my pocket and place it in the front cubby, so it's natural place to swipe.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
in other news...
I've been in search of 15" rims, since i have a nearly new set of tires laying around...

Today i scored these for less than $200.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Found what appears to be a pretty clean set of LS Mesh wheels. Know they are sought after. Not so popular back then.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Tires and rims mounted, and it's starting to look almost respectable, for the first time in forever...

also i forgot to post the worst video i have made in a very long time...

The Hardbody headliner on my poodlepuncher channel still holds the record...
I literally vomited during that one.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Still hung up on the brake line.
cant get the stupid plastic cover off without destroying it, since the bolt heads have disintegrated over time.

Unfortunately my garage currently lacks the power to run my welder, so i can't go that route...

Stalled

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I know the feeling on stalled. No garage at the moment and I lost the last set of keys to the locks of BOTH my storage units. So many project things that need to get done. So many things and s**t motivation.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Been a bunch of progress since last update... and while organizing stuff, i realized i never hit publish on the Ghost Key video...

got my brakes sorted, sort of.. did a deep clean to eliminate the rancid smell, and i fabricated an intake from parts i had laying around.
all of this resulting in a secret update for Y'all

I'll get pics of everything else tomorrow.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
As Promised, here are some pics...

I spent weeks trying to sort out the rear hardlines... every time i'd get one section repaired, it would burst someplace else...
Yes, i know honda still sells replacements, but they're $180 each...
Then one day it dawned on me. REAR BRAKES ARE DUMB!
I don't need them, so i capped off the rear ports on the proportioning valve.

some day i'll replace the lines... probably... who knows?

did a deep clean on the inside, going as far as to shampoo the carpet.
what i pulled out with the extractor was disgusting...

I will have to get a new rear seat, and can live without one for now
my existing one is so full of mouse piss (the foam sucked it right out of the nest), that it's not allowed back in my car.

Finally, i needed an air filter, so i fabricated one out of that random kit i found in the trunk..

Car is drivable, but still need to sort out the hood latch, so i can drive it with the hood on.
but that's a problem for future me...

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
The Civic is really coming around. BTW great buy on the Ghost Box. I have their entire kit and have YET to install any of it.,

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
As Promised, here are some pics...

I spent weeks trying to sort out the rear hardlines... every time i'd get one section repaired, it would burst someplace else...
Yes, i know honda still sells replacements, but they're $180 each...
Then one day it dawned on me. REAR BRAKES ARE DUMB!
I don't need them, so i capped off the rear ports on the proportioning valve.

some day i'll replace the lines... probably... who knows?
I hope you fix the rear brake lines soon. You would be surprised just how sloppy will get without them especially in the wet. You can make the hardlines fairly easy too. You can buy stock line from Oriellys or any autoparts store then bend as needed.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
I hope you fix the rear brake lines soon. You would be surprised just how sloppy will get without them especially in the wet. You can make the hardlines fairly easy too. You can buy stock line from Oriellys or any autoparts store then bend as needed.
I'll get to it eventually. the problem is, i have to replace both of the rear lines entirely, which requires dropping the fuel tank.
I've bent my fair share of brake lines (replaced ALL the lines on my '03 Sierra last summer), and i'm not particularly motivated to do it at this time.

right now it stops pretty well.
There's no freeways around here. just country roads, with very little traffic.

I can move it in and out of my garage, and roll down to the gas station. that's all i need.
Winter is Coming

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You are hilarous, giving me memories when I drove over 100 miles home basically on one front left brake. Front right was completely inoperable because I had pinched off the line and secured it with vice grips. I have pictures somewhere.

I had to rive on I-95 to get home for about 60 miles of the trip. Literally had to apply the rear brakes manually with the E-brake when I applied the front brakes (L only) XD

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
oh, i've been there...
at least with the civic, you have a hand brake. hold in the button, and finesse the handle...

I've lost brakes several times while towing... those trucks had the parking brake pedal which isn't so fun.
leaning over to hold the release, while standing on the pedal, to get someplace safe... :thumbs up

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
Been a while since i posted an update, and not much has changed, since i've been so busy with work...

still need to edit and post the full "first drive" video, but let me just say...
The front end sounded like a dumpster full of rocks, tumbling down a hill..
But, that was to be expected, since it has sat for so long, and was completely buried in snow every year.

I replaced the front brakes yesterday, which was sad, because i had just replaced them a few months before the car got stolen...
the rotors are probably salvageable for next time, if i have them turned, but the pads were completely destroyed during removal.
The anti rattle clips had gotten so rusty, i had to use a hammer and a pry bar to get the pads free from the bracket.
Wish i had been filming, because i've never seen any this bad before.

That helped a lot, but there's still some noise i can't quite identify yet, kind of metallic rubbing, but no longer scraping.
it's constant when moving above 15 miles an hour.

I checked the wheel bearings when i did the brakes. they rotate freely, no grit, no play, and they don't sound dry when turning by hand.

the wheels aren't contacting the calipers, as far as i can tell, and the tires don't seem to be rubbing.
At 185/95/15, they're slightly narrower than the 195's i see listed as the 15" option for this car.

I'm guessing it has to be the CV joints. there isn't any of the typical clicking, but even more noise when i turn the wheel slightly to the left.
sounds kinda like frankensteins monster in those movies from the 40's, or my ex wife when she was mad. :rolf:

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
A 1996-98 model came into the salvage yard today. if you need interior pieces let me know.

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
A 1996-98 model came into the salvage yard today. if you need interior pieces let me know.
Sorry, i missed this one.

The only thing i can think of interior wise that would be realistically shippable is the inside mirror covers (sail panels?).

though, what i've been searching for is a complete set of locks with key, since mine are mismatched.
Also i can't currently lock my car, since the thieves destroyed the drivers door cylinder, and the drivers door will only lock via key, unless the car is running. which is super annoying.

Last edited:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Sorry, i missed this one.

The only thing i can think of interior wise that would be realistically shippable is the inside mirror covers (sail panels?).

though, what i've been searching for is a complete set of locks with key, since mine are mismatched.
Also i can't currently lock my car, since the thieves destroyed the drivers door cylinder, and the drivers door will only lock via key, unless the car is running. which is super annoying.
Ill swing by later on my way to my property and see what's still available. There is a Element K24 motor. The manual trans is gone though....

Brak

Respected
5+ Year Member
some of my parts arrived over the last few days...
and then my front end fell off!

had to beat the ever living $hit out of the front end, to get it back into the correct shape.
but now i can close the hood, and it's starting to look like a car again.

The second new headlight got lost in shipping somewhere, but i need to pull everything back off again, when i pick up my new fenders (Local certifit didn't have them on hand), so i'll install it then.