car update - lots of pics!

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn... ive been waiting to see some good pics of your stangs engine bay! looks good!

i sold my drag car... just lost intrest and didnt want to build it over again for boost.
Thanks.

I've almost sold this thing a couple times now. I'm glad i've kept it though.

Helps knowing i've got someone in town who i can go to if (when) something breaks.

Pootie

i blow tires away!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
first off, this is one sickkkkkk builddd!!!

that turbo is Hugeeeee (but i guess it's on a large displacement motor, so u should be good) Otherwise i't might take a week to spool!!

i have some concerns however!! That "manifold"...Is it just 2 runners that run from both exhaust ports under the motor and up to the turbo to what i would hope is a devided T4 dual tube collector that is welded to the 2 runners that goes back to the motor.?????

^^ if i am right , i HOPE TO GODDDDD there is all sorts of brackets and supports, because i see something cracking . That turbo is heavyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy (has to be atlease 30lbs +).. Yes it's fixed to the "manifold and motor" <~~ which alll moves together .. but that 4" downpipe and supporting exhaust is NOT!!.. and it's gonna be a tug-o-war and i fear something will give . My guess would be that the "manifold " will give first.

(PIC REQUEST OF MANIFOLD WHERE IT MEETS THE TURBO PLEASE)

Also what was there reason for useing such a large turbo and is this a Street or Track car.. (because that turbo is Track status, no fun on the streets really. But on the highway already rolling HOT DOGGY!!!)

Pootie

i blow tires away!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did they/you consider a rear mount turbo set up?

i think there should be some room back there to find a sturdy spot for the turbo..

a local shop in NY did a twin rear mount Vette.. i don't see why it wouldn't apply to your car.. would be same amount of pipeing ( since u have full exhaust anyway)
but check it out , this is the mounting bracket they made for the turbo to sit in a sturdy fixed position.

they ran the intake out the car for a cold air source ( yours wouldn't need to be this fancy, but u get the point)

and they used Vbands ( but their motor was damn near welded in the car).. i'd consider useing flex pipes b4 or after the Vbands, for some give/movement when the motor is under load.

Pootie

i blow tires away!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
But on 2nd look, i think they did it front mount so it would be EZ to run the cooler pipeing . I just don't see whats holding up that large turbo. ( U might be good, i just can't see it)

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
first off, this is one sickkkkkk builddd!!!

that turbo is Hugeeeee (but i guess it's on a large displacement motor, so u should be good) Otherwise i't might take a week to spool!!

i have some concerns however!! That "manifold"...Is it just 2 runners that run from both exhaust ports under the motor and up to the turbo to what i would hope is a devided T4 dual tube collector that is welded to the 2 runners that goes back to the motor.?????

^^ if i am right , i HOPE TO GODDDDD there is all sorts of brackets and supports, because i see something cracking . That turbo is heavyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy (has to be atlease 30lbs +).. Yes it's fixed to the "manifold and motor" <~~ which alll moves together .. but that 4" downpipe and supporting exhaust is NOT!!.. and it's gonna be a tug-o-war and i fear something will give . My guess would be that the "manifold " will give first.

(PIC REQUEST OF MANIFOLD WHERE IT MEETS THE TURBO PLEASE)

Also what was there reason for useing such a large turbo and is this a Street or Track car.. (because that turbo is Track status, no fun on the streets really. But on the highway already rolling HOT DOGGY!!!)
Yes, the turbo is huge, but i think it'll be decent on the street. Should be full boost ~4000rpm. Redline will be ~ 7k rpm as long as it's still making power up there. It'll make it a bit easier to keep traction on the street as well. We'll have to see how it behaves once the car is done, but i think it'll get into the powerband fairly quickly.

The car is a street car that might go to the track now and then. I'll probably go to the drags a few weekends a year. Won't pass tech for anything quicker than 11.5 so i'm not sure how many runs i'll actually be able to do (no roll bar/cage). Everything else is good into the 10's. If i can get the suspension finished (just need to do a torque arm and swap some springs), not sure how it'll fit with the exhaust piping, and i'm f**king broke at this point, but a few road coarse/autocross adventures might be in the future as well. Would be slower than it should though. Automatic and traction issues will hurt times there.

There are actually quite a few braces for the exhaust and turbo. Robert knows what he is doing and is trying to avoid any problems with cracking exhaust. Sorry i don't really have any pictures that show the bracing. Most of it was done after the kit was completely fabbed up and i didn't get any pictures.

Here's a pic of the turbine inlet.

did they/you consider a rear mount turbo set up?

i think there should be some room back there to find a sturdy spot for the turbo..

a local shop in NY did a twin rear mount Vette.. i don't see why it wouldn't apply to your car.. would be same amount of pipeing ( since u have full exhaust anyway)
but check it out , this is the mounting bracket they made for the turbo to sit in a sturdy fixed position.

and they used Vbands ( but their motor was damn near welded in the car).. i'd consider useing flex pipes b4 or after the Vbands, for some give/movement when the motor is under load.
Not a huge fan of rear mount systems. Too much piping and other problems with them. While they do make some crazy power, in certain applications, i think a properly setup system closer to the engine would actually perform better.

I don't have any room back there anyways. I have a couple pics of the rear suspension that shows how little room there is, but it's all on the computer at home. I'll post some of those after i get home. I need to find a decent host and get all of these pics uploaded.

But on 2nd look, i think they did it front mount so it would be EZ to run the cooler pipeing . I just don't see whats holding up that large turbo. ( U might be good, i just can't see it)
There are 2 braces on the turbine inlet flange and one on the downpipe. There are also a few underneath the car holding the runners as well. I think we'll be ok in this regard.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's the pic i was talking about of the rear of the car. Very very little room back there. Barely enough to get the catback to fit, definitely not enough to fit some turbos.

And here's the pic of the brace that holds the turbo. It bolts to two studs off the timing cover and bolts to two of the turbine flange holes.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So i guess i'll make this my progress thread.

Here's a shitload of new pics of the new intake, ported heads, and the ATI harmonic damper. Also got a few pictures of the motor out of the car. We got all the exhaust piping back from the coaters and mounted it all up to the old motor. It'll look 1000 times better once we get the new motor together with the new intake, heads, and valve covers.

Pootie

i blow tires away!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So i guess i'll make this my progress thread.

Here's a shitload of new pics of the new intake, ported heads, and the ATI harmonic damper. Also got a few pictures of the motor out of the car. We got all the exhaust piping back from the coaters and mounted it all up to the old motor. It'll look 1000 times better once we get the new motor together with the new intake, heads, and valve cover

f**kingggg Sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn u just shitted on my build. lol

:thumbs up:
looks good,, looks well thought out too!!

and did u consider running the gate directly on the backhouseing of the turbo? (how it sits not looks good too).. i have never seen a gate run on the Downpipe either..shed light!!

Pootie

i blow tires away!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Seriously tho you are kidding yourself if u think u are "just going to make 600whp"... thats s**t is going to make 800whp+ EZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope u can drive, and have stock in Huggies!

PS: don't cheap out on SAFTY,, get the car caged. If that thing rolls trust me u will wish u had it. ( and with that kinda of power i hate to say it , but it's very likely that something will happen)

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
f**kingggg Sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damn u just shitted on my build. lol

:thumbs up:
looks good,, looks well thought out too!!

and did u consider running the gate directly on the backhouseing of the turbo? (how it sits not looks good too).. i have never seen a gate run on the Downpipe either..shed light!!
Haha, thanks. The guy who built this kit does some pretty amazing work.

What do you mean? The wastegate does look a little odd, but it doesn't look bad in the car, its just cocked at a slightly odd angle.

The wastegate off the downpipe is being used as an exhaust dump. It's only got a 2lb spring in it. Any boost (or enough pressure in the downpipe) will open the gate. This way it's quiet at idle, but helps with any excess exhaust pressure in the downpipe.

Seriously tho you are kidding yourself if u think u are "just going to make 600whp"... thats s**t is going to make 800whp+ EZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i hope u can drive, and have stock in Huggies!
I'm not sure how i'm going to handle that much power. I'm going to baby the s**t out of the car until i figure out how to control it. I'll most likely run with a lower boost setting for the street and bump it up at the track.

Luckily i went a bit overboard on everything i bought. Motor should be good to 800-900hp and the transmission will be good to ~750hp. I think 600 might just be my street tune :laugh:

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
PS: don't cheap out on SAFTY,, get the car caged. If that thing rolls trust me u will wish u had it. ( and with that kinda of power i hate to say it , but it's very likely that something will happen)
I've always avoided the idea of a cage. Just not a huge fan of tearing the car up that much. I don't race much and it destroys any chance i have at being considered a sleeper.

The car would pass tech to 10.00 and slower minus a transmission shield, which i'll probably get, and a cage.

Pootie

i blow tires away!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Haha, thanks. The guy who built this kit does some pretty amazing work.

What do you mean? The wastegate does look a little odd, but it doesn't look bad in the car, its just cocked at a slightly odd angle.

^^ see how the gate is on the A/R houseing of the turbo rather than on the runner. i say this because u are running a devided turbo and manifold, and i see the gate is positioned on just one of the runners on teh collector..

I had a manifold a while back, that had the gate situated on like runner #1 and not centered, and i got terrible boost creep(gated to .5 bar or 7psi, and it used to creep to like 14-15psi). I hear placeing the gate on the turbo houseing helps with boost creep.

By the way that gated exhaust dump is SICKKK!!! :thumbs up:.. i saw an exhaust cut-out that was vacume fed off the turbo,, it would stay closed out of boost and once it got into boost it would open.. Yours looks a lottt better and makes 1000% sense.. i might steal that idea, lol

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

^^ see how the gate is on the A/R houseing of the turbo rather than on the runner. i say this because u are running a devided turbo and manifold, and i see the gate is positioned on just one of the runners on teh collector..

I had a manifold a while back, that had the gate situated on like runner #1 and not centered, and i got terrible boost creep(gated to .5 bar or 7psi, and it used to creep to like 14-15psi). I hear placeing the gate on the turbo houseing helps with boost creep.

By the way that gated exhaust dump is SICKKK!!! :thumbs up:.. i saw an exhaust cut-out that was vacume fed off the turbo,, it would stay closed out of boost and once it got into boost it would open.. Yours looks a lottt better and makes 1000% sense.. i might steal that idea, lol
Ok. I see what you're saying. I've seen a few people run dual wastegates or have piping run from each runner and merge into the wastegate, but i've never seen anyone run straight off the turbine housing like that. Seems rather inefficient. I can't imagine that being conducive to good flow through the turbine.

I was a bit worried about boost creep as well when i saw how the wastegate was run. I asked the builder about it and he said it would be fine. The bypass tube, while not centered, is above where the 2 pipes come together, so it's not like we're only bypassing one bank of cylinders. I'll definitely keep an eye on it though, once we get the car running.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Pootie, don't quote pictures, and stop using big text.

Looks good Turbo!

I want that sandrail.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn... i didnt realize you made this your build thread Zinc!

looks amazing! very cool setup... you have subframe connectors and traction bars correct?

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn... i didnt realize you made this your build thread Zinc!

looks amazing! very cool setup... you have subframe connectors and traction bars correct?
Thanks.

I've got subframe connectors. You can see them in a couple of the pictures of the exhaust. No traction bars, but i've got a decent rear suspension setup. MM Rear lower control arms, MM Panhard bar, Tokico 5 way adjustables, and some steeda springs. Not exactly ideal for the track, but i would like to keep some decent handling as well.

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It's turning out more and more sexier everyday Zinc. Cant wait for the final product!

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's turning out more and more sexier everyday Zinc. Cant wait for the final product!
Thanks. Neither can i. I'm really starting to get anxious. I can't wait any longer. One or two days waiting for parts used to be no big deal, now i'm counting the minutes until UPS shows up :laugh:

And when parts don't show up when they're supposed to... :cussing: :letout:

If all goes well, the new motor should be assembled and in the car next week. Probably another week or two after that to get the kit back on the car, fab up the cold side, send it for powder coat, and get all vacuum line and electronics run.

Pootie

i blow tires away!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Pootie, don't quote pictures, and stop using big text.

Looks good Turbo!

I want that sandrail.

^^ first off my font is neverr that large, and 2nd why even have a larger font Option if you can't use it!!

I don't want to be a d**k, but thats how i post. If u don't like it don't read!!. PM a MOD or Admin and have him/her deal with me !!

k thank ;)