car update - lots of pics!

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

^^ first off my font is neverr that large, and 2nd why even have a larger font Option if you can't use it!!

I don't want to be a d**k, but thats how i post. If u don't like it don't read!!. PM a MOD or Admin and have him/her deal with me !!

k thank ;)
It's there for specific reasons, not to make every post you write have big font.

You can post how you want, just don't make it big and don't quote more than 1 picture, no reason for it, it's obnoxious.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Stopped by the shop again today to drop off the new throttle body and oil pump. New motor is starting to come together. Might just have to pull the heads back off though. What a waste of $200 on head gaskets.

Anyways, more pics. The new motor is looking pretty sexy :cool:

Walking up to the shop today:

The Motor out of the 2000 Cobra R thats on the lift next to my car. Putting down almost 1000hp. He liked my setup so much he's building an entire new setup for the R. Tubular suspension and a new GT45 turbo. Can't wait to see that build. Should put mine to shame :shock:

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wow dude, that Autofab throttle body is beautiful.

I was gonna say, don't show a picture of a Cobra R and not talk about the power he's putting down :lol:

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:thumbs up:

<~~ innn for results!
When this first started i thought i had gone a bit overboard on all the parts. It would give me a margin of safety and let me make some more power down the road. Turns out that isn't the case.

Now, i'm worried that this setup is going to make too much power and i'm going to have to back off on the tune or boost to keep the engine from blowing up. :shock: I'm quite happy i did go a bit overboard, though, or i'd be breaking s**t left and right (or having to buy new parts before ever getting the car running)

I definitely would have bought some parts differently had i known how this was all going to turn out. Oliver Billet I-beam rods, cp pistons, bigger fuel system, stronger transmission, etc.

Oh well. Shouldn't be long before this thing is up and running. I'd say two or three more weeks and it'll be on the dyno getting tuned.

Svr_Civic

dont try, dont fail
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
goin to be a beassttt... the c5 is next tho right?

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
goin to be a beassttt... the c5 is next tho right?
:laugh:

I'm going to be selling the c5. Never drive it as it is and with the mustang being finished up i know it's going to sit. I don't have the time or money to deal with three cars.

Pootie

i blow tires away!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
When this first started i thought i had gone a bit overboard on all the parts. It would give me a margin of safety and let me make some more power down the road. Turns out that isn't the case.

Now, i'm worried that this setup is going to make too much power and i'm going to have to back off on the tune or boost to keep the engine from blowing up. :shock: I'm quite happy i did go a bit overboard, though, or i'd be breaking s**t left and right (or having to buy new parts before ever getting the car running)

I definitely would have bought some parts differently had i known how this was all going to turn out. Oliver Billet I-beam rods, cp pistons, bigger fuel system, stronger transmission, etc.

Oh well. Shouldn't be long before this thing is up and running. I'd say two or three more weeks and it'll be on the dyno getting tuned.
Yea man, that set up is beeeeefy, and that turbo is good for close to 900hp maybe more.

Seriously tho you are kidding yourself if u think u are "just going to make 600whp"... thats s**t is going to make 800whp+ EZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GoodLuck on the build,, i wanna see it run.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2 steps forward, one step back.

So i got a call from the builder yesterday saying he had some concerns and wanted me to stop by. So i headed over there on my lunch. Apparently a big mustang guy he knows had come by on the weekend and had concerns about my motor. He thought it was a WAP block (which are notoriously weak) and thought i was going to have major problems pushing over 600.

So i get to the shop and robert explains this all to me. I tell him i'm 99% sure it's the new casting and it will be fine. He starts talking about trying to push for 1000hp. Jesus f**king christ. I tell him i'm fairly certain that the rods and the fuel system aren't up for that kind of power. Now he's talking about ditching the aluminum shortblock that is sitting there ready to be assembled and starting over with a new iron block.

So, i told him i'd get back to work and do a little searching and find out, for sure, what block i've got and what kind of power potential we've got. Turns out the block is the correct one and should be fine up to the ~ 1000hp mark. Rods are rated for 800, but some get away to 900+. Most just like the added comfort and potential of the billet i beams (i would have gone with olliver billet I beam rods had i known this was going to get so out of hand). Fuel system should be good somewhere into the 800's.

After stressing out a bit yesterday, but finding the answers i was looking for, i drove back down to the shop today to let Robert know what was going on. They had already pulled the heads (there went the $200 head gaskets) and were convinced the motor was crap. Let them know the block should be good, but the rods and fuel system are going to be the limiting factors. He seemed convinced, so we're keeping the aluminum block i've had sitting around for 6 months now.

Luckily some good did come of pulling the heads. They are now being sent out to have the spark plug threads fixed. We'll be using time-serts in each plug hole. The stock threads (only 3 of them) are notorious for stripping and throwing the plugs out of the heads under boost.

So hopefully we'll start reassembling the motor later this week or, more likely, next week. Just need to pick up some new head gaskets.

I can understand why the guy was confused on the block though. Can you spot the differences between these blocks? One is the WAP block and one is mine (the 05+ aluminator block)

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
jesse! been a while. makes me happy to see progress on the turbostang!

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jesse! been a while. makes me happy to see progress on the turbostang!
:laugh:

I know. Got distracted with too much other s**t for way too long. I'm glad i'm back and able to get this project going.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Stopped by to drop off a few misc. parts today. Nothing's changed. Been almost 2 weeks now with absolutely no progress. I'm a little pissed. I was expecting the car to be on the dyno by now. We still have to get the motor together, get it in the car, fab up the cold side, do some cleanup, finish the fuel system, etc. This is easily going to push into November by now :cussing:

Weather is just starting to get good too. Missing out on the best time to be out driving.

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
any updates zinc?
Nope. He called me about a week and a half ago saying the chain guides didn't fit. I called the place i bought them from and they said they sent me ones for the iron block. and they'd send me new ones (Ford dealer so it was of course at my expense). I had them shipped next day air (they did split that cost with me though). Got them over the following day and he says they look great.

I get a call a few hours later saying those don't fit. f**king great. So i show up with the first set of guides that i was about to mail back. The original guides were the correct ones, they just needed a stud instead of a dowel pin to locate them in the block.

So the car hasn't been touched in almost a month for some minor bullshit. I'm starting to get incredibly impatient and unhappy with the situation. The car should be done now. Looks like another month at least.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Sucks man, and Im sure you feel pissed and anxious, just remember what its going to be like when you get it back all finnished.

Can I ask why you didnt go twin with a second small turbo?

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sucks man, and Im sure you feel pissed and anxious, just remember what its going to be like when you get it back all finnished.

Can I ask why you didnt go twin with a second small turbo?
Twins wouldn't have saved me any room or made it easier to plumb the kit, so it really didn't matter. The turbo builder decided to go with a big single so that's what i ended up with.

Twins have some of their own issues, especially with the passenger side. They tend to get in the way of a lot of the a/c and abs components. With the single we were able to avoid those altogether.

JerseyStrong

EMII
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
nice build man, I have never read a build where everything has gone smooth so don't get too worried about it. I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end :thumbs up

TurboZinc

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
New motor is finally in the car and the kit is on. Need to fab up the cold side still. Front mount is mounted though. It's black, so we're definitely going sleeper.

And here's a pic of the exhaust dump. Using a Tial wastegate off the downpipe as the dump. Will open up as soon as it sees boost or enough exhaust back pressure in the downpipe.