CC official computer tech/help thread (PC/MAC, smartphone, game console)

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Hey, i've got a question..

About a year ago I was doing an update to my Sony Vaio laptop when I thought it was frozen. It seemed like it had locked up for hours on the same step so I did a hard shut down. Well as any of you computer savvy people know, that's a big mistake. So.. Now that i've bricked my computer, I was hoping someone could help me save the hard drive some how. There's tons of photos and things on there i'd really like to get on a disc some how. I've seen a few other used sony viao's for sale locally that I nearly bought just so I could see if my hard drive would load up. I have a feeling it may be locked up forever though. I tried reloading windows xp from a burned copy, but that didn't help get the computer going again. Also tried loading previous saves but it won't get past the blue start up screen before it shuts down. Haven't tried messing with it for several months now so I can't remember what all it says..

Maybe I could ship the hard drive to someone who could get into it and copy the info for me to disc or another external hardrive?? Or does anyone have a good idea of how to get it working?

92lseg

With flash media so cheap now, you could plug the hard drive into another pc and move the files to a. Jump drive

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
It's an internal hard drive from my 2007ish Vaio. The plug on it is crazy looking. Is there something out there that will let me turn it into an external drive 1. And 2, can I even get into it being that it won't even run when plugged into the laptop? I need to call the FBI and see what they suggest for getting info off hard drives =)

92lseg

As long as it will spin you can get the info.. Usually, take a picture of the plug?

You can buy an ide/sata enclosure that allows you to plug it into another oc via USB usually about 30$

I've done it for a few customers who want access to nick back stuff after they upgrade there machine

Usually I just move the files to avoid having them on a 10 year old drive

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I'll snap one when I get home (of the plug).

This isn't my pic, but it looks like one of these:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Pop the drive out, and put it in one of those USB or eSata devices. It will basically turn into a removable storage device, and you can plug that into a working computer and try and get files that you need off of it. That looks to be just a normal SATA HDD.

EDIT:
http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS

This is what I use, only with two drive bays for creating images. You'd be fine with this though.

Last edited:

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Boom! That's it right there. Thanks Xploder. I'm gonna see if I can find one local (probably not, my town sucks) before ordering this.

Thanks again! :thumbs up

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So I thought there was another computer thread but couldn't find it so I'll post this here.

Just ordered one of these (256GB) since my 128GB SSD is almost full. Going to keep the old one and try running Windows 8.1 on the new one. Picked it up for $200 plus $6 shipping from NewEgg.

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-ssd-850-pro/

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I made a few upgrades to my rig.
Before:

After:

Went from a gtx 560 ti to an r9 290 and upgraded the psu.

xHanzJay

Lulzaflopter
I built my rig...

2500k @ 4.5
corsair h55
asrock pro3 z77
16gb 1600
evga 660ti superclocked
ocz fatality 750w psu
120gb sss
2tb hdd
Blu Ray drive
32-1 card reader
5 channel fan controller
sound blaster audigey SE sound card

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using TappaFresh.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Currently running this since June. Built it for the games I was playing where my old tower struggled, and now I don't have time for games :(

Corsair 250D ITX case
EVGA Z87 Stinger ITX board
Intel i7-4770K
Corsair H100i cooler
Corsair Vengeance PC3-2400 16gb RAM
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD
Western Digital Green 4tb storage drive
Corsair RM750 fully modular PSU
EVGA GTX 780Ti
ASUS 12x Blu-Ray Burner

Corsair V70 mechanical keyboard
Razer Mamba wired / wireless mouse

The video card fit in the case perfectly, except when you needed to plug in power :lol: I ended up sourcing a slim, right angle connector that fit absolutely perfectly and pulled the entire build together. Loving it so far. Have pulled up Eve Online is some decent fights with 2 accounts going on max settings. It's quiet and runs fairly cool.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I wouldn't mind a cleaner one than that but mine is a rats nest...