cluster question

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was wondering if I buy a gauge cluster from and ex would plug n play into my 98 civic hatch and the rpm gauge will work without cutting wires? Also if anyone can post links to diys with working pics that will be great cause I have searched and found nothing thanks

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey found a link but if anyone has suggestions just post it up thanks

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i will have one for sale by the end of the week. let me know if you are itnerested in buying. it has a tach and its from a d16y8 ex

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Try searching for real and by that I mean spending more than 30 seconds. This topic/question has been covered well over 100 times, so the answer is out there.

I could answer your question, but that what good will that be to you? It would be best if you can develop good searching skills, so in the future, you dont post questions that have been addressed many, many times before. Plus, you'll feel good that you found the answer all by yourself, lol.

ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION: Yes, the EX Cluster will fit plug and play on your CX/DX Hatch and the Tach will work without needing to modify anything.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Try searching for real and by that I mean spending more than 30 seconds. This topic/question has been covered well over 100 times, so the answer is out there.

I could answer your question, but that what good will that be to you? It would be best if you can develop good searching skills, so in the future, you dont post questions that have been addressed many, many times before. Plus, you'll feel good that you found the answer all by yourself, lol.

ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION: Yes, the EX Cluster will fit plug and play on your CX/DX Hatch and the Tach will work without needing to modify anything.
It would help people searching in the future. I see you did answer the question, but hid it in your post.

So again, yes, it's plug and play. Some EXes had ABS, so you could have an extra socket on the cluster, but it will still work fine on the car.

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It would help people searching in the future. I see you did answer the question, but hid it in your post.

So again, yes, it's plug and play. Some EXes had ABS, so you could have an extra socket on the cluster, but it will still work fine on the car.
Yeah I know it might help people in the future, but there is already like over 150 Threads out there covering this very same question. If they only took a bit of time and searched, they would find the answer.

Oh and yeah, I hid the answer to his question on my Post ... Wanted to see if anyone caught that (including the OP), lol.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah I know it might help people in the future, but there is already like over 150 Threads out there covering this very same question. If they only took a bit of time and searched, they would find the answer.

Oh and yeah, I hid the answer to his question on my Post ... Wanted to see if anyone caught that (including the OP), lol.
I'm sure we all know about how frustrating it can be to not be able to find your answer though.

That was probably one of my favorite Honda-Tech.com rules. You're not allowed to tell someone "search, noob" (or any variation). You HAVE to post an answer if you're going to tell someone to search.

It'd be great if the first link in your search that you clicked always had the answer.

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That's why I posted the answer on my post, just didnt give it away so obviously - make him work for it, lol.

Most of the time, when these people say they searched and didnt find an answer ... They searched one time, clicked the first link, didnt have the answer and that's it time for a thread. If they would've clicked the third or fourth link they would've seen their answer, they're just too lazy to do it.

It might be "frustrating" that you dont get the answer from the first link, but that doesnt mean you need to quit searching, keep looking and you'll find it. If you want the answer so bad and are really curious then a few minutes is not gonna kill you and you will see it'll end up being more beneficial for you in the end.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's why I posted the answer on my post, just didnt give it away so obviously - make him work for it, lol.

Most of the time, when these people say they searched and didnt find an answer ... They searched one time, clicked the first link, didnt have the answer and that's it time for a thread. If they would've clicked the third or fourth link they would've seen their answer, they're just too lazy to do it.

It might be "frustrating" that you dont get the answer from the first link, but that doesnt mean you need to quit searching, keep looking and you'll find it. If you want the answer so bad and are really curious then a few minutes is not gonna kill you and you will see it'll end up being more beneficial for you in the end.
You misunderstood. I didn't say anything about being frustrated by not finding answers in the first link I click. I said it's frustrating to not be able to find an answer and (as a separate thought) that it would be nice to be able to find the answer in the first link you click.

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You misunderstood. I didn't say anything about being frustrated by not finding answers in the first link I click. I said it's frustrating to not be able to find an answer and (as a separate thought) that it would be nice to be able to find the answer in the first link you click.
Yeah, I agree that it can be frustrating to not find an answer, but its pretty hard to not find the answer for this specific question - matter of fact I think you have to go out of your way to not find the answer. That being said, I dont think that your point applies to this here. If it was something more complicated that no one has asked before or not many have asked then I can understand your point. However, in this specific case where he's asking if the Cluster will fit or not, it does not apply since the questions has been asked and answered numerous times before (not only in this Forum, but many others).

If we were to find answers in the first link every time we searched for a question, then it would be awesome. However, we all know that doesnt happen often. I agree though, it would be nice - but it does take the fun out of searching (since when you do more in depth search for the most part you learn more about the specific topic).

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I wasn't putting the example up for this topic in general.

Though there's not really a lot to learn about this topic anyway. Does it plug in? Yes. Are the extra plugs? Sometimes. Will an auto cluster work in a manual? Yes. Visa versa? Yes.

Any '96-'00 Civic cluster or '97-'01 CRV cluster is plug and play in a '96-'00 Civic. Some offer different features which may or may not operate on the new car it goes into (such as ABS warning lights - won't work without ABS, or a tachometer - will work on cars that didn't come with a tachometer).

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wasn't putting the example up for this topic in general.
You must've misunderstood. I clearly stated that I understand how frustrating it is to not find an answer (regardless of what the topic is). Then I went on to say that for this specific topic/question "being frustrated because you cant find the answer" shouldn't be an issue. The reason being that the answer to his specific question has only been posted a few hundred times out there, you would actually have to go out of your way to NOT find the answer. That being said, your example of frustration doesn't apply here.

Though there's not really a lot to learn about this topic anyway.
lol ... You say there's not much to learn about this specific Topic, well I think you just contradicted yourself with those things you posted.

If we were to tell him "Yes, it'll work" then he would be good and only know that the EX Cluster w/ Tach will work on his CX/DX Hatch no problems. However, if he would've researched on his own for a bit he would've learned all those things you just mentioned, plus a few more that he might've come across while researching ... The list below is a good amount of things to learn about the topic compared to just that one he was asking. All of these he would've come across while researching (more than likely):

- Yes, EX Cluster w/ Tach into CX/DX Hatch is Plug & Play and Tach will work
- Some Clusters have extra plugs, but doesnt matter it'll still be Plug & Play
- Auto & Manual Clusters are Interchangeable
- Any 96-00 Civic Cluster will fit in a 6th Gen (Plug & Play)
- Any 97-01 CRV Cluster will fit in a 6th Gen (Plug & Play)
- Any 97-01 Acura EL/Domani Cluster will fit in a 6th Gen (Plug & Play)
- Extra features specific to Models may or may not work on the New Car the Cluster is being installed
- How to Modify Cluster to Light Up Amber/Hyper White/Blue/Etc with DIYs
- How to add CF Bezels to the Cluster
- And lot more ...

That's a pretty big list of things you would learn while researching rather than just learning "A 6th Gen EX Cluster will work on a 6th Gen CX/DX without any problems and Tach will work" ... At least it is to me.

You're entitled to your own opinion (that we should just answer the question that's being asked), but I still think that the OP should actually conduct a search (more than 30 seconds) before posting up a thread for a question that might have been asked a couple hundred times in the past, such as this one. So moral of the thread (lol), conduct a search before posting. You will be surprised to see how many people have been in your same situation and have had the exact same question answered previously by others.

/thread

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok before any of you guys posted I found a thread that helped me out a lot soI did search on my own for the third time. OK you wasn't next to me while I was searching threads and noticing that most of them didnt have working pics and I asked if anyone had lins to threads that had working pics and it didn't have to come from this exact site. I mean damn a guy can't ask a question without getting bitched at on the online forums

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
and for the hell of it before I search I am going to ask another question how does the anttenna seperate? I am trying to put the block off plate. Do I have to pull out the whole assembly? I rather just seperate it and leave a piece in the car and then cover it off with the block off plate so I don't have to go thru the trouble of installing everything back in if I decide to switch back.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok so I found out that you can just push in the antenna and still have reception (which I dont care for) and then put the block off plate. I am still confused on that process do you remove the original plate before pushing the antenna in? or do I just leave the original plate on and push it in?

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok so I found out that you can just push in the antenna and still have reception (which I dont care for) and then put the block off plate. I am still confused on that process do you remove the original plate before pushing the antenna in? or do I just leave the original plate on and push it in?
what the hell are you talking about

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't personaly think that's a lot of information regarding the clusters.

The OP (I believe) is talking about pushing the antenna down into the driver's a-pillar. You can still get reception, though not as good as with an extended antenna, with the antenna pushed into the pillar.

I was under the impression that you remove the antenna if you're putting in a block off. A block off generally means you don't need the part. I've also heard that the block off doesn't work with the antenna still in the car.

Oh, and if you remove the antenna, lead some wire up the length of the pillar when you pull the antenna out (tie it to the end of the antenna to pull it up). Otherwise if you ever decide to put another antenna in, you're screwed because it's going to be very very difficult to lead the new antenna through the pillar.

Or so I've heard.