cluster question

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
O ok then awesome I am going to check prices for them at the local auto parts and compare them to the ebay ones and see which one is cheaper also I think advance is the cheapest for the pads since they quoted me like $20 for a pair and I would need 2 pairs right?
call advance and ask them what they mean by 'a pair'... Just tell them you need brake pads for the front of ur XX Honda Civic XX and they'll give you the right price. But most likely 'a pair' means both left and right sides for the front. '2 pairs' would be front and rear. And that's super cheap $20 for pads. nice.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea when they told me the price I was like wait thats brand new right??? The guy was like yes lol and yea I'll make sure I get the ones I need for the right price thanks guys both of you have been helpful and I will keep this thread updated thanks

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've never heard of any chain auto parts store selling a "pair of brake pads" as in for only one side.

I seriously get asked this question a lot. People, for some reason, think the stores only sell left or right brake pad sets. They're sold in a "set". That means they sell all the front or all the rear, not just some of the pads.

You're going to get all four pads or all four shoes. I doubt you can even buy just one or two...

Oh, and usually they're going to offer several different levels of brake pads or shoes.

For example, for Autozone it's:
Valucraft (cheapest)
Duralast (mid)
Duralast Gold (upper)
Duralast C-Max (these are always supposed to be made of the same material the OEM ones are, plus they come with brake lube and the hardware included and rubber nitrile shims)

I would never, ever use Valucraft brake pads (or probably any other part by them...). They're crap. I even found a set split almost in half (I check every brake pad I sell before I sell it). The batteries die really easily tool.

Valucraft brake pads are usually about $15. Duralast are about $25. Duralast Gold are about $35-40. Duralast C-Max are about $50-60.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^^^^ ok thanks yea i wasn't sure but u cleared it up for me thanks and yea im looking to get the duralast (mid) and resurface the rotors or does anyone think i should do them in any specific order??? i was thinking of doing the brakes first since they will be less expensive then do the wheel bearings... any thoughts on that?

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Update!!!!! I am going to do the wheel bearings within the next two weeks I will order the bearings off of ebay monday then I have to wait to get them and I will get a local shop to install them. Then I will do the front brakes everything new (rotors, pads) then I'll do the rear also I will try to get everything new (drums, shoes).

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Another updat I got the bearings nstalled and the front brakes done no more vibrations but I still have some noises I dont know if its the tires they are brand new could it be that I need an alignment even tho its not that bad? Also another noise I am starting to hear is like a grinding noise when I turn the wheel to right and then hit the gas I am thinking it could be cv joints? thanks for the help I also have the parts for the rear brakes so will get those down this weekend

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What kind of noises?

As for the grinding noise, is the car lowered? If so, it is probably the tire rubbing on the fender liner/wheel well.