cluster question

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
id just leave the antenna there. unless you wanna put a new one in. do they make shaved antennas to replace the stock ones? i know they do for cobalts.

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you dont care about reception, just stuff the Antenna with the Plate on it down the Pillar. Then you can cover it up with the Block Off Plate. This way if you ever decide to have the Antenna again, you can just remove the Block Off Plate, pull the Old Plate/Antenna and secure it with the screws. It's either that, or remove the Antenna altogether from the car.

I don't personaly think that's a lot of information regarding the clusters.
Personally is the key word. You dont think that's a lot, I think it is. To each his own.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well the cluster idea is answered and I also just messed with my antenna and you have to remove the original plate thing then push the antenna down into the a pillar and then you put the new block off plate. Yea so now I'm waiting for my block off plate to arrive.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey have another question I rotated my tires cause the ones that were in the front had the inside of the tires worn (more on the driver side) Now I know I need an alignment but my thing is that before the rotation I would have a weird humming noise (best I can describe it) so I thought it was cause the tires were just uneven so in came the rotation... so now after the rotation the humming is still there but lower and I can feel it more on the driver side even tho now since the tires have been rotated the tires are brand new (so to speak) and match so I have no idea what it can be I would do an alignment but I don't think it will solve my issue but I can be wrong any other suggesstions???? thanks

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey have another question I rotated my tires cause the ones that were in the front had the inside of the tires worn (more on the driver side) Now I know I need an alignment but my thing is that before the rotation I would have a weird humming noise (best I can describe it) so I thought it was cause the tires were just uneven so in came the rotation... so now after the rotation the humming is still there but lower and I can feel it more on the driver side even tho now since the tires have been rotated the tires are brand new (so to speak) and match so I have no idea what it can be I would do an alignment but I don't think it will solve my issue but I can be wrong any other suggesstions???? thanks
Humming Noise = Wheel Bearings ... You need to replace them. The car is a 1998, over 10+ years already, so yeah they definitely need to be replaced.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you dont care about reception, just stuff the Antenna with the Plate on it down the Pillar. Then you can cover it up with the Block Off Plate. This way if you ever decide to have the Antenna again, you can just remove the Block Off Plate, pull the Old Plate/Antenna and secure it with the screws. It's either that, or remove the Antenna altogether from the car.

Personally is the key word. You dont think that's a lot, I think it is. To each his own.
Did I hit a nerve?

So I made a typo, big deal. Maybe I'll due it again. :P

(Lots of weird capitalization in your post too. I really didn't notice until I quoted you.)

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did I hit a nerve?

(Lots of weird capitalization in your post too. I really didn't notice until I quoted you.)
What? No, no nerve got "hit" here. I didnt even notice you misspelled "Personally" until now. I meant to emphasize the word personally (thus the italics) because that's your personal opinion (not too much) while my personal opinion is that it was a lot. Trying to bring the point that obviously we feel differently about the whole situation. Obviously, you're not gonna admit that it is "a lot" while I'm not gonna admit that it is "not too much" so to each [us] his (her on your case) own. We feel different about it and that's fine because we can each have out own personal opinion.

Anyways, yeah I think you confused "due" for "do" lol ;)

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OMG you guys are fighting for words??? Lol anyways doesnt matter you guys been helpful.

And I got the block off plate and you have to slide the anttenna off the the other plate then push it down cause that "stock: plate won't fit in the hole ( thats what she said lol) then put the new plate on.

Now on the wheel bearings I have never replaced those on any car but I'm pretty good with working on cars... do I have to replace all four??? How much are they if I buy them brand new??? And what about install, how hard is it? And if I want how much would they charge me to install them? Thanks once again.

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OMG you guys are fighting for words??? Lol anyways doesnt matter you guys been helpful.

And I got the block off plate and you have to slide the anttenna off the the other plate then push it down cause that "stock: plate won't fit in the hole ( thats what she said lol) then put the new plate on.

Now on the wheel bearings I have never replaced those on any car but I'm pretty good with working on cars... do I have to replace all four??? How much are they if I buy them brand new??? And what about install, how hard is it? And if I want how much would they charge me to install them? Thanks once again.
For the Wheel Bearings, you cant do the install yourself, unless you have a shop press at your disposal. Take it to an Auto Shop, they usually charge about $25/ea for installation (pressing out the old Wheel Bearing and pressing in the new Wheel Bearings).

You do not need to do all 4, if you do not want to. However, I would recommend doing at least the 2 front ones. If in the future you want to get Extended Wheel Studs, you should do them now while you do the Wheel Bearings since they need to be pressed in as well and cannot be done when the Hub is in the Knuckle. Like I said, I would do the Front Wheel Bearings for now. If you are later on planning on doing a Rear Disc Conversion on your Hatch, then replace the Wheel Bearing on those rather than on the Drums and do the Extended Studs on the Rear Disc when you replace them as well.

As far as cost, the Wheel Bearings go for about $65.00/ea at Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. I bought mine on eBay, both fronts for $65.00 Shipped! So 2 for the price of 1 and they were the same brand as the ones Advance Auto Parts sells. Hit up eBay and buy yours there.

Good luck!

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hey thanks bro you have been wonderful... (no homo) but yea ill hit up ebay for those then I'll get a shop to do them. also everytime I brake from lyk 60mph I get a pretty bad shake den it will go away after i get down to 30mph what could that be also the wheel bearings? I also need to resurface the rotors and get new pads.

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No problem :thumbs up

That shaking problem can definitely have to do with the fact you need new wheel bearings, new rotors (or getting current ones turned) and needing new brake pads. Get those things fixed and see if it goes away. It might also be motor mounts. However, get wheel bearings, pads and rotors done first and see what happends.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea tire plus said that one of my motor mounts is cracked but then my friend checked them out and said they were all fine. But yea I am going to get those things done and take it from there

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Did I hit a nerve?

lol, i didnt notice either till now....

OP, if you dont have one, get it. A haynes service manual or equivalent. They're bad-ass to learn from..

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea I had some for my other cars but I haven't bought one yet for this car as you can see I have to buy replacement parts before I buy a book (not saying its not worth it)

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
O ok then awesome I am going to check prices for them at the local auto parts and compare them to the ebay ones and see which one is cheaper also I think advance is the cheapest for the pads since they quoted me like $20 for a pair and I would need 2 pairs right?