XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't see how 96-98 suck, I f**king hate my 99-00 cup holders, no one makes a fat bottomed cup so any normal taco bell or bk cup just tips over and spill since they taper down to small bottom. I did have that broken latch on my 96 cup holder though
Try putting a normal size water bottle in there and taking any sort of turn faster than 5mph. Last straw for me was when this happened and the water bottle rolled down and underneath my pedals. I like when my brake pedal actually does something haha.

Also, same with @Diana Nam my cup holder latch broke too. Would only click down when it felt like it. Now my RSX one is broken because of a friend who tried to open the tray and the cupholder at the same time... lame

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Try putting a normal size water bottle in there and taking any sort of turn faster than 5mph. Last straw for me was when this happened and the water bottle rolled down and underneath my pedals. I like when my brake pedal actually does something haha.

Also, same with @Diana Nam my cup holder latch broke too. Would only click down when it felt like it. Now my RSX one is broken because of a friend who tried to open the tray and the cupholder at the same time... lame
lmao broken cup holders... what are we to do with them.. all tho i do like the 96-98 better then the 99-00 one since the lid kinda take up a little bit of space between the pocket and the cup holder area

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont drink water bottles so i never had that issue but i believe my soda bottles were fine, i know that my soda cups were for sure ok. my 99-00 cup holders i had to buy a rare insert just to make my xl size cupholder kind of normal size

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont drink water bottles so i never had that issue but i believe my soda bottles were fine, i know that my soda cups were for sure ok. my 99-00 cup holders i had to buy a rare insert just to make my xl size cupholder kind of normal size
I've seen that cup holder insert, but can't remember where (perhaps in part diagrams on Majestic Honda?). I've never seen on in person, though. Where did you find one?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All i know is my 96-98 cup holders sucked.
the locking latch on those lids are always going bad or breaking my doesn't stay closed any more..
I don't see how 96-98 suck, I f*cking hate my 99-00 cup holders, no one makes a fat bottomed cup so any normal taco bell or bk cup just tips over and spill since they taper down to small bottom. I did have that broken latch on my 96 cup holder though
I definitely prefer the '96-'98 cup holder over the '99-'00 because the two varying sizes of the later models is convenient to me. I also like the ability to close the lid for not only a smooth look but as an added storage use with a lid.

Yes, the lid latches seem to go bad, but it seems to me like its caused from needless aggressive pushing on it along with dirt build-up. Mine was messed up from the previous owner, but I found an undamaged one at a junkyard and heavily cleaned up the latch assembly until it functioned perfectly. Even the slightest build-up of dirt in the sliding pin affects its function. I stripped at least one more latch assembly from a damaged lid to keep as a back-up, but I doubt mine will break now that I identified what I feel are the 2 biggest issues with them.

I personally don't drink soda so the lack of accommodating those huge soda drinks is irrelevant to me. However, I do enjoy my Dunkin' Donuts & Starbucks drinks. Now I just limited myself to smaller sizes which I dont mind with how pricey some large drinks can get. Water bottles seem to fit just fine in between the seat belt latch and the seat without bothering me while driving. I also usually bring with me 80+ ounce water containers that I keep on the floor so its less of an issue in regards to the cup holders. (A healthy amount of water to drink is roughly half your body weight in ounces a day, which is why I carry a large container). So the point I'm making is if you don't order soda like its your last one before death then I don't find it all that difficult to adjust to the cup clearance. Of course, to each their own.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've seen that cup holder insert, but can't remember where (perhaps in part diagrams on Majestic Honda?). I've never seen on in person, though. Where did you find one?
I found it on ebay, I just searched 99-00 civic cupholder insert or something like that, the guy I bought from had like 4