If you THINK you sucked up water.

Mike1ch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'll try to make this a short as possible.
I was recently in the "i sucked up water" group.
I have a stock d16y7 with a short ram intake and i hit a good 4-5" puddle, no knowing it was going to be that deep. My car started misfiring like crazy and had no power and died, i only made it like 30 ft past the puddle. Some water got in my interior and i thought i sucked up water as well.
2 Days later i still cant figure out why my motor isn't starting, it cranks but no start, so i knew i wasn't hydro locked. I took out the spark plugs, did all those things i searched for on these forms like cranking it without plugs and i took my intake out, i even used an air hose and tried drying out the throttle body and cylinder chambers.
I checked all my fuses as well.

My friend came over and the first thing he did is opened my distributer and there was water inside of it and the cap. We dried it very thouroughly, cranked the car. Started right up. So DONT FORGET TO CHECK YOUR DISTRIBUTER. Previously I tested my wires for spark as well, and got spark so i didn't think spark was the problem. I WAS WRONG. Had spark but bad timing maybe?

I will be installing a new Honda Dizzy cap, wires, and plugs. << Would reccomend.

Thats my story, good luck to all in the Northeast, and f**k the rain!

Ls-HatchBoy

Honda Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
same thing happend to me cept the water just burnt the rotor in the cap so in ran like s**t

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You sir, got lucky. I sucked up water back in October, and ended up bending a rod. Nothing major, the car still runs, just like s**t.

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
and i thought short rams were immune from sucking up water...

Ls-HatchBoy

Honda Whore
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
not immune just alot less prone because their higer from the ground, mine didnt get submerged just got a splash of water in it. when submerged is when it causes seizures.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think that ive actually done something similar before..

good info

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If I sucked up water, it would give me an excuse to buy a new car.

xenoicity

Honda Technician
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
f**k this rain in jersey....

got me out of classes from rutgers for 2 days tho

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when something like that happens you should pull the plugs and crank it..

just so you dont bend a rod

Mike1ch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ls-HatchBoy said:
same thing happend to me cept the water just burnt the rotor in the cap so in ran like s**t
Did u burn the contacts in the cap, or the rotor thats pressed into the dizzy

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
good info.

now i gotta get used to OC's new avatar.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I sicked up water last year, threw a rod, and their was 3 huge holes in my block the size of softballs. Sucked ass, plus I miss the old hath.

b16CIVICSI

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
xenoicity said:
f**k this rain in jersey....

got me out of classes from rutgers for 2 days tho
Hey my sister goes to Rutgers.... but yeah the rain is what caused my old eg to get broken into cai sucked up to much water and it started over heating and then it shut off i left it on the side of the highway for 7 hours came back with a tow truck and it was broken into

Mike1ch

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
By the way, i changed my oil and there was no water at all in the oil, so i dont think i only sucked up much, if any.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i was about to say if you sucked up water with a SRI, that would strike fear in everybody's hearts that dont run factory intakes

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have a Y7 with a CAI.. I'm glad I have an Air Bypass... I've hit some nasty puddles accidentally as well, never hydrolocked luckily.