Intertwined's '99 DAP hatch

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that hood gap :( any chance you are going to spiffy up the paint in the bay? i am having a hard time with the 4 door teg, mainly because i do not like the 4door front end. i like your progress with the maintenance though, that is top notch!

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the hood gap isnt that bad in person. it really needs hood pins to pull the front corners down. ive been thinking about cleaning up the bay paint, but its far from a priority.

and what do you mean you dont like the 4 door front end? its the exact same thing as the hatch front end. do you mean you dont like how it flows being a sedan?

thanks for the props on the maintenance. its annoying but necessary.

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
fixing more stuff. PCV breather box was leaking at the o-ring. why replace just that, got the o-ring and the 2 pcv grommets as well.

o-ring and grommets were rock solid, was a pain in the ass to get them off lol. one of the hoses broke on me as well, dry rotted bad. out with the old.

and in with the new

ugh......so much for a build thread haha, more of a maintenace log than anything at the moment :P

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got the Vibrant stealth black muffler that i sold to my buddy back today for free and got it welded on. No pics of it yet, need to spray some of it black again lol.

Took on a little side project this weekend to keep me occupied.

I hardly ever use my trunk for anything so i decided to clean it up some. The board was missing when i got the car so the carpet just laid there and got wet whenever the trunk leaks (still trying to narrow that down), and i prefer a gutted/semi gutted trunk to one with the board and carpet anyways.

Removed the tar sound deadening with a heatgun and metal scraper.

Once that was done i went at the residue with some acetone and a wire brush. This also took care of a few spots that had some surface rust.

Sanded it down some and laid down the self etching primer.

Next up, paint and clear.

Everything was looking good until a few bugs decided to die in the wet clear and when i put the backseats back up some debri came down from the decklid and landed in it. Going to have to wetsand and reclear later on, but for now it looks much better.

Heres what i removed from the trunk. Havent weighed it yet, but id guess somewhere between 7 & 8 lbs of tar.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice, even though you are not "building" the mods you are doing are cheap and look great. building on a budget gone right.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
great job on the trunk!
If you get yours sorted out, make sure to let us know where the leaks came from. Might help me locate some trouble spots on mine.
I know mine leaks pretty badly, so I took out the carpet, etc a few months ago as well. I know the weatherstrip around the opening is pretty bad, but I think I might be getting leaks from the taillights as well. Sad to say, I had to drill a couple of small drain holes in the lowest part of the trunk so I didn't get stagnant water building up in there.

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks everyone. Just doing what i can when i can for the time being. Im going to be tackling some interior work over the next week when i have the free time after work. Going the same route i did with the DAP hatch and wrapping all the grey pieces and headliner in black tweed.

@jameswanser...........im pretty sure most of my leak is from the taillight gaskets. Probably going to get some clear rtv type sealant and apply it to both sides of the gasket and see if that fixes it. Ill let you know for sure after i do it.

OneFastGSR

Registered VIP
I need to do that to my trunk. Before I actually mounted my battery it just sat in the trunk and it had fell over multiple times so battery acid and stuff made it pretty messy. Need to sand it all and spray it like you did..

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ive still got quite a bit to do with my interior work that i started on, but im really happy with the outcome of this first piece and wanted to show it.

Here are a couple pics of the old fabric that was on the rear decklid and speaker covers.

Cleaned up the pieces after removing the fabric and made sure i had plenty to work with.

Then about 2 1/2 hours later i have this.

Im still trying to decide how im going to do the 3rd brake light. Its a really awkward shape and im not sure yet how to go about wrapping it.

More to come as i get the rest of the grey panels all wrapped in tweed.

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got a little more work done on the interior today.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. Major props to people that do upholstery for a living and are good at it.......P.I.T.A. lol

Wrapped the 3rd brakelight. Only part that sucked is with my upholstery skill set I had to use 2 seperate pieces to do this. Have a small spot of bunching up on the rounded part, but i can live with it.

Also did the armrest.

Last bit of work on it today i got the biggest part knocked out. Doing a headliner with a sunroof is much more of a pain than i expected.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I got a little more work done on the interior today.

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. Major props to people that do upholstery for a living and are good at it.......P.I.T.A. lol

Wrapped the 3rd brakelight. Only part that sucked is with my upholstery skill set I had to use 2 seperate pieces to do this. Have a small spot of bunching up on the rounded part, but i can live with it.

Also did the armrest.

Last bit of work on it today i got the biggest part knocked out. Doing a headliner with a sunroof is much more of a pain than i expected.
I'm with you there... my first headliner was frustrating, to say the least. I'll take mechanical work over interior or body work any day of the week.
Looks good though.

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wouldnt mind doing upholstery or body work if i had some more knowledge with it all and proper tools of the trades. Mechanical work is way easier though.

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Finished wrapping everything and painting a few parts on Monday and got everything installed today.

quick pic of the old door fabric vs. the new door fabric.

Did the inserts and speaker covers on the door and installed.

Ended up having to use 2 pieces to do the sunroof slider, but i can deal with the seam. Sunroof is a b***h to take in/out of the car by yourself!!! Wink mirror arrived today so it was time to install the rest of the panels.