Jury duty, Montana man tells judge why he won't serve

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jury duty, Montana man tells judge why he won't serve

APRIL 30--There are probably better ways to avoid jury duty than the approach recently taken by a Montana man. After Erik Slye, 36, received a jury notice earlier this year, he filed a notarized affidavit seeking to be excused from serving on a District Court panel in Gallatin County. Slye's caustic affidavit, which he prepared with help from his wife Jennifer, can be found below. The document, of course, did not sit well with court officials and led a judge to threaten to jail Slye. But after being summoned to court, Slye apologized for the affidavit and avoided being cited on a criminal failure to appear rap. And he also was excused from serving on a jury.

:laugh:

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If I don't want to serve on a Jury I shouldn't HAVE to. Until they start paying me what my work pays me, I'm never going to be in jury duty.

sf22189

names Brenton
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If I don't want to serve on a Jury I shouldn't HAVE to. Until they start paying me what my work pays me, I'm never going to be in jury duty.
I don't know exactly, but doesn't your work actually have to pay you a half days salary or something?

moo shoo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
BAHAHA! Omg I would tell the court the same thing. We have freedom of speech and this guy used it.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't know exactly, but doesn't your work actually have to pay you a half days salary or something?
I don't think so. Even then, it's half days. Not a full day.

sf22189

names Brenton
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't think so. Even then, it's half days. Not a full day.
Yea I just looked it up for Ohio. It is from the court and it's up to 40 dollars from the depending on the court. I was thinking that my gov't teacher said there was some stipulations for high profile case's or case's that require the jurors to stay secluded from the general public (i.e. murder, rape) Can't confirm it though.

Anyways it's an lousy $40 depending on the county. Average is $10-30. :thumbdown

EDIT: maybe for all states, but this is from Nebraska. I'm sure a part time employee could be scheduled "not to work" to get around this.
Nebraska Statute 25-1640 said:
“Any person who is summoned to serve on jury duty shall not be subject to discharge from employment, loss of pay, loss of sick leave, loss of vacation time, or any other form of penalty, as a result of his or her absence from employment due to such jury duty, upon giving reasonable notice to his or her employer of such summons. Any person who is summoned to serve on jury duty shall be excused upon request from any shift work for those days required to serve as a juror without loss of pay. No employer shall subject an employee to discharge, loss of pay, loss of sick leave, loss of vacation time, or any other form of penalty on account of his or her absence from employment by reason of jury duty, except that an employer may reduce the pay of an employee by an amount equal to any compensation, other than expenses, paid by the court for jury duty. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class IV misdemeanor.”

Mr.Luder

SSM EP3
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jury Duty is a WASTE of time, I was summoned to go and spent 2 or 3 days going downtown wasting my time losing money because i'm not working and ended up not even getting picked or called upon. All I did was sit and wait for 8 hours. What did I get in the end? A Check that didnt even cover my gas, lunch...etc

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the one I wrote was better, didn't make news tho. I think I may have even started a thread. :lol: good s**t tho.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
my girl had jury duty. her work paid her two full days work for the two days she had to do it. however, when she got her $92 jury duty check from the county, they asked that she cash it and write them a check for it.

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my girl had jury duty. her work paid her two full days work for the two days she had to do it. however, when she got her $92 jury duty check from the county, they asked that she cash it and write them a check for it.
wat