just what i needed to go wrong

cuetip

Registered VIP
ok guys i just found out that 2 of my motor mounts are broken, one of my tensors is f**ked u can technically spin it freely, and the tensor bolt that holds my timing belt is unable to be removed even with more then 100 pounds of presser from an impact gun... would it be better to fix this stuff or just buy a whole newer motor?

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just get some after market motor mounts, they don't cost much or get some from the scrap yard ( I will ship you some for cheap) or you can go with some really nice Hasport ones for about 350. as for the bolt.. Breaker bar and some bolt breaker spray should do the trick. worse comes to worse get a new head :/

cuetip

Registered VIP
Just get some after market motor mounts, they don't cost much or get some from the scrap yard ( I will ship you some for cheap) or you can go with some really nice Hasport ones for about 350. as for the bolt.. Breaker bar and some bolt breaker spray should do the trick. worse comes to worse get a new head :/
haha i was thinking about just buying the same block i have and make sure that it has almost everything thats needed to swap it out, and the guy that was trying to replace the belts used breaker bars and everything, and he still couldnt break the bolt... u have all four motor mounts?

RonJ

Banned
SOAK the crank pulley bolt in PB Blaster overnight and bring the breaker bar back out. Increase the length of the breaker bar with a 4-5 ft length of galvanized pipe.

cuetip

Registered VIP
SOAK the crank pulley bolt in PB Blaster overnight and bring the breaker bar back out. Increase the length of the breaker bar with a 4-5 ft length of galvanized pipe.
sweet ok ron, would a crankshaft pulley holder help remove the bolt any?? i have never replaced the timing belt, and i read that the bolt is a b***h to get out

RonJ

Banned
sweet ok ron, would a crankshaft pulley holder help remove the bolt any?? i have never replaced the timing belt, and i read that the bolt is a b**** to get out
Yes, you also need the Honda hex tool to hold the pulley in place.

During the overnight PB Blaster soak of the bolt, re-soak it several times. Drink lots of beer between soaks.

The bolt will pretend to challenge your manhood. Don't let it win.

cuetip

Registered VIP

During the overnight PB Blaster soak of the bolt, re-soak it several times. Drink lots of beer between soaks.

o i will not do that lol.. but i just asked one of my buddies and he said that he has taken plenty of those bolts off without crankshaft holder tool, just getting his ass to do it is the problem.... is that the only bolt i would have a problem with as far as belts and motor mounts?? i have also read that a guy used a 4 foot breaker bar on the drivers side motor mount

RonJ

Banned
...i just asked one of my buddies and he said that he has taken plenty of those bolts off without crankshaft holder tool
What's his plan without using the hex tool? There are other ways, but using the hex tool is best unless you have an ass kicking impact wrench.

cuetip

Registered VIP
that i dont know, he also said he was going to charge me only 30 bucks to change them.. and oohh man i dont like driving my car without the belts replaced its some scary s**t

cuetip

Registered VIP
everything i asked him to help me with on the car he has told me and helped me, and he is saying something about a one inch impact lol.... but he is being a smartass and not telling me.. but if he says he can then he has one of those special ways that honda guys develop lol

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have never used any special honda tools. just my good old ingersal impact at 120ish psi and gave it hell. actually out of all the ones ive taken off, ive never used a special tool for any timing belt jobs.

be careful using a breaker bar though, if you do manage to snap the crank bolt, well have fun getting it out

if you were in PA, id help ya out lol

RonJ

Banned
i have never used any special honda tools. just my good old ingersal impact at 120ish psi and gave it hell. actually out of all the ones ive taken off, ive never used a special tool for any timing belt jobs.
Most people don't have access to a high ft-lb impact wrench, but if you do, it will take off the bolt lickety-split.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Most people don't have access to a high ft-lb impact wrench, but if you do, it will take off the bolt lickety-split.
its only a little 500 ft lb guy. but she works like a charm. and its the quiet version! i hate loud impact guns and tools

RonJ

Banned
its only a little 500 ft lb guy. but she works like a charm. and its the quiet version! i hate loud impact guns and tools
Ingersoll makes excellent impact wrenches, but let's do some price comparisons.

You would pay $125 for your 500 lb-ft Ingersoll and let's say from $350-$700 for a decent compressor to power the tool. That's a minimum investment of $425-$825.

I can buy a 25" breaker bar for $25, the hex tool for $25, and a 5-ft length of pipe for $20. This is an investment of $70.

$425-$825 versus $70 -- Unless you need to break loose crank bolts regularly, is there really any comparison?

I'm proud to say that I have only ever used the breaker bar/hex tool method and always succeeded. The huge price differential is the reason on forums I always guide members to use the breaker bar/hex tool method -- because most people don't have access to expensive power tools.

However, if I were a professional mechanic, then investment in a top of the line impact wrench and compressor would be worthwhile.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ingersoll makes excellent impact wrenches, but let's do some price comparisons.

You would pay $125 for your 500 lb-ft Ingersoll and let's say from $350-$700 for a decent compressor to power the tool. That's a minimum investment of $425-$825.

I can buy a 25" breaker bar for $25, the hex tool for $25, and a 5-ft length of pipe for $20. This is an investment of $70.

$425-$825 versus $70 -- Unless you need to break loose crank bolts regularly, is there really any comparison?

I'm proud to say that I have only ever used the breaker bar/hex tool method and always succeeded. The huge price differential is the reason on forums I always guide members to use the breaker bar/hex tool method -- because most people don't have access to expensive power tools.

However, if I were a professional mechanic, then investment in a top of the line impact wrench and compressor would be worthwhile.
oh i completely agree with that, there would be no use to making that investment, and breaker bars work great. i use them more than i use impacts in school, unless its really tough or a tight space. you just have to be carful with them is what im saying. you can break bolts with them very easily when you start doing things like adding pipe. im not saying to not use it, just be some what cautious so you dont make a even bigger headache.

though i must say a cheaper end impact gun and a smaller air compressor is very useful for at home. even with just filling tires, removing wheels, if you have to remove an axle, and tight bolts like this. in the long run and if you take care of it. its worth the investment if you can afford it. you can get some setups fairly cheap and used ones go very cheap. but breaker bars work fine too and man it sucks thinking $125 for a tool is cheap. snap on has ruined my life :(

RonJ

Banned
though i must say a cheaper end impact gun and a smaller air compressor is very useful for at home. even with just filling tires, removing wheels, if you have to remove an axle, and tight bolts like this. in the long run and if you take care of it. its worth the investment if you can afford it. you can get some setups fairly cheap and used ones go very cheap.
I agree but took a different less expensive route. I bought a 300 lb-ft electric impact wrench (Chicago Electric) for $40 at Harbor Freight Tools. Works great for removing wheel nuts and even axle nuts. I've never tried it on a crank pulley bolt, but I suspect it would fail.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree but took a different less expensive route. I bought a 300 lb-ft electric impact wrench (Chicago Electric) for $40 at Harbor Freight Tools. Works great for removing wheel nuts and even axle nuts. I've never tried it on a crank pulley bolt, but I suspect it would fail.
thats not a bad idea either, and a very good decision. i just like air compressors since you can fill tires then, dust things off, all the other air tools, paint gun.

but this can also be done with electrical tools and not many people will use all of these things. i just like to do everything myself and work on cars all day everyday