just what i needed to go wrong

RonJ

Banned
you just have to be carful with them is what im saying. you can break bolts with them very easily when you start doing things like adding pipe. im not saying to not use it, just be some what cautious so you dont make a even bigger headache.
This^ is where soaking in PB Blaster (or equivalent) is also like buying an insurance policy. It not only makes it easier to break the bolt loose, it also lessens the chance of breaking the bolt off.

RonJ

Banned
i just like air compressors since you can fill tires then, dust things off, all the other air tools, paint gun.
I do have a cheap air compressor for these^ types of purposes, but not manly enough to power any self-respecting power tool.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This^ is where soaking in PB Blaster (or equivalent) is also like buying an insurance policy. It not only makes it easier to break the bolt loose, it also lessens the chance of breaking the bolt off.
true, and if that fails yet and you continue. its probably going to snap

another technique is to make your own impact gun. you take your wrench/ ratchet, put it on, and smack it with a hammer. may take a few times and a bit of force, but keeping going at it. its the same exact concept as an impact gun. teacher actually taught me this to take a crank pulley bolt out once lol was tight enough to spin the crank instead of loosening. he told me to hit it with a hammer and it worked

RonJ

Banned
true, and if that fails yet and you continue. its probably going to snap
I've heard of a few Civic crank bolts that broke, but it seems uncommon. More common is to hear that the breaker bar or socket breaks. I think the Honda crank bolt is made of Kryptonite.

another technique is to make your own impact gun. you take your wrench/ ratchet, put it on, and smack it with a hammer. may take a few times and a bit of force, but keeping going at it. its the same exact concept as an impact gun. teacher actually taught me this to take a crank pulley bolt out once lol was tight enough to spin the crank instead of loosening. he told me to hit it with a hammer and it worked
Wouldn't you need the hex tool to hold the pulley steady for this hammer method to work?

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've heard of a few Civic crank bolts that broke, but it seems uncommon. More common is to hear that the breaker bar or socket breaks. I think the Honda crank bolt is made of Kryptonite.

Wouldn't you need the hex tool to hold the pulley steady for this hammer method to work?
we didnt use anything to hold the pulley, but i mean it wouldnt hurt. its like using a crappy impact gun lol

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what I did when I took the crank bolt off my car for doing the timing belt is, I only jacked up the drivers side then put the car in gear and had my brother push the breaks as hard as possible while I used a breaker bar and some extra pipe.... seemed to work just fine and I didn't need the hex tool. but then again my car is a texas car so it doesn't see a lot of the salt and s**t that some of y'alls have to deal with

cuetip

Registered VIP
hmmm might have to ask my buddy about this technique, but ron what type of hex tool is needed??

will85w4

Save the SOHC
5+ Year Member
Use the special Honda hex key. Use jack stand to brace socket extensions against and use 5 ft cheater bar over breaker bar. Try to avoid impact tool as it could snap the bolt. Use second guys foot to brace extension against jack stand. good luck.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Use the special Honda hex key. Use jack stand to brace socket extensions against and use 5 ft cheater bar over breaker bar. Try to avoid impact tool as it could snap the bolt. Use second guys foot to brace extension against jack stand. good luck.
impact gun should be your first choice if possible 0_o

will85w4

Save the SOHC
5+ Year Member
impact gun should be your first choice if possible 0_o
either way, if you're using a mechanic, he should know what to do. I just had this done on Saturday and we used the jack stand method. Worked just fine. He advised against using impact tool because of the chance of the bolt snapping. And this is a full time mechanic of 30 years, not a noob or weekend mechanic

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
either way, if you're using a mechanic, he should know what to do. I just had this done on Saturday and we used the jack stand method. Worked just fine. He advised against using impact tool because of the chance of the bolt snapping. And this is a full time mechanic of 30 years, not a noob or weekend mechanic
go in a garage, guarentee 90% of the time they will use an impact. and the hammering impact part causes the threads to loosen up inside. kinda similar to how you smack a control arm to break the taper/bond between a ball joint

and im not a noob or weekend mechanic either lol

im also not saying breaker bars are bad, they are more budget friendly. but impact will be easier and just as safe as a breaker bar. putting a pipe on the breaker bar will make power torque than a impact gun. which is where you will break it, if you manage to

Last edited:

cuetip

Registered VIP
ok guys just talked to my buddy as of 10 minutes ago and he actually texted back lol.. and he said here in a little so its still on let you guys know how its going

Puff0028

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Could get a big monkey wrench, used one to get the pulley off a ZC I had on a engine stand. It will leave bite marks on the pulley tho.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
On my old prelude I stuck a screwdriver in the starter hole and used it to brace the flywheel and then used the old breaker bar and extra pipe lol

RonJ

Banned
go in a garage, guarentee 90% of the time they will use an impact. and the hammering impact part causes the threads to loosen up inside. kinda similar to how you smack a control arm to break the taper/bond between a ball joint

and im not a noob or weekend mechanic either lol

im also not saying breaker bars are bad, they are more budget friendly. but impact will be easier and just as safe as a breaker bar. putting a pipe on the breaker bar will make power torque than a impact gun. which is where you will break it, if you manage to
Here's a guy who has tried a lot already to break the crank bolt loose.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=47138551#post47138551

He's broken a breaker bar and 2 extensions, but luckily not the crank bolt.

What the hell would you recommend here?

cuetip

Registered VIP
dude a big ass pipe wrench, and it broke like it was nothing, and only charged me 30 bucks to change it