My build thread/timeline ftw

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my car is officially no longer my daily, so I have decided to start a build thread, I have some debt and stuff to pay off so this thread will be slow in progress, but its a way for me to keep track of everything.

I have had the car since March of 2007 and I feel I have accomplished a lot since then, but its time to go to town.

The day I got it in March - clean, but a little bit of rice - M3 mirrors, 17's no radio ... the rest of the mods are self explanatory - stock d16y7 with an intake and axle back exhaust.

Fast forward, June 2007 - 15's Rotas, eyelids, lowered it more, stock mirrors, LS seats, Pioneer radio and boost ftw =) or FTL - the motor ended up having bad rings and crapped out before the turbo kit was ever installed.

July 2007 I bought a full OBD2 LS changeover from jdm-online.com - after it got stuck in customs I got it a month later :(. Ran into multiple problems during the swap and ran out of funds, but the car was a daily and working with what I had I got the car running ...

September 2007 - Bad headgasket - replaced it, snapped a cam journal bolt, bought a b20 head and installed it timing was off, fixed time, and now the car has a shitty idle, and randomly likes to bog itself, but never stall.

and finally the present December 2007: I have not driven the car in 3 weeks, we took a road trip to orlando, during which my car decided to start having electrical problems (the previous owner hacked up the harness and I dont know why) and I blew a hole in a shitty coolant hose ... on the way back the front passenger wheel bearing started to go bad - I guess when it rains it pours.

Most recent pics

So now the car can finally become a full on project and I can build my dream hatch ... the first order of business is to pull the harness and repair it (solder connections and shrink/heat wrap them all) when it goes back in I will tuck the bay and after that fix the wheel bearing and install integra front brakes and the rear discs I have in the garage.

Also I need to add the Dc Sports header/Blox IM/and get an exhaust/ then the local tuner will be tuning the car on the zex kit I have ... again it will be a long and slow process, and this is mainly for me personally to keep track of everything I have done as motivation, anyone else who wants to take a look let me know what you think.

UPDATED 06/18/2008
I never posted these - here are some pics of when it was broken into.

Road Pirate

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Seen this car before, I dig it :thumbs up

Sick EJ1

BROKEN 1
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
love the black on black...nice hatch

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Loose the lids and get some mirrors

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I personally like the eyelids right now, I go through phases, when I have to money to get real CTR headlights the eyelids will not be reinstalled. As for the spoiler I know its a crappy CTR Replica that the previous owner put on there, I will either be buying a real CTR spoiler or spoon carbon fiber one to replace it, Im leaning more towards the spoon spoiler.

As for the mirrors - I will be getting some eventually, I havent decided which ones yet.

Like I have already said though - all that is on hold until I get the car fixed - I started to take the wiring harness out lat night but it got dark - the hack job from the previous owner showed me some problems, there are exposed wires, electrical tape everywhere, and some sensors just fell apart where they were ghetto spliced when I disconnected them - so the harness will be the rest of the way out tomorrow or sunday hopefully and I can get started soldering and such to fix it ...

I will get pics of the ghetto harness job as soon as I get it all out so you guys can see them mess I have been left with

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lidssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
loose the lids and get some ctr mirros and it will be fresh, other than that it looks good man

96 EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looking great! Mine is coming along slow as well. Saving for a Full Race Turbo kit...Good luck

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks guys, good luck on the turbo kit, I was gonna go boost, but decided it would be fun to spray, and Ill see where it goes from there.

UPDATE: the wiring harness is out , it is in pretty bad shape, but fixable, over the next few days I hope to have finished soldering and heat shrinking the wires. I am hoping to get the car back up and running by next weekend, and then when I get some cash together fix the wheel bearing

as for the exterior mods - the future plans I have are CTR Headlights/CTR Fenders/CTR Mirrors/Window Visors/Thin Side Moldings - and I have to put my foglights in.

The interior needs some work - the headliner is starting to come down.

Motor wise its almost done - just needs the parts I have to get installed. and suspension needs a few extra goodies but not much

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah I know about the not matching, they will be painted by a buddy of mine while the car is sitting and getting worked on.

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
in reality I wish the previous owner did not conver to the 99-00 front end, so I could do a 96-98 front with SiR lip and headlights. but I dont want to spend time or money changing it back

Rawkout

5+ Year Member
yeah the wing is Okay in my opinion, but i kinda like the lids, looks sleepy lol

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Little update for everyone: the harness is out of the car and in the house now.

when I started taking all the s**t off of it (electrical tape etc ..) some the the sensors just fell off where they were spliced, and I found water and s**t all over some of the connections, also the main ground for the harness had been spliced and a bad job at that, either way, Ill have some pics of it tomorrow before I start soldering and heatshrinking ...

jon julian

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice hatch.......G/L on your build.............btw, those stock sidemirrors are huge, should go with spoons.

Drackonn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks - yeah the stock mirrors are ugly, but they are better than the m3 mirrors and I got them for free =)