Need some computer help

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Here is my problem. I need to get my computer sent in to get the screen fixed cause the wiring in the hinges is getting worn out. It's almost 4 years old. Now... We have my wife's dell that crashed from virus a year ago that we need to get fixed so we have something to use for school work. We are both currently students. What I want to know is if anyone can walk me through getting her computer working again for at least 2 weeks till I can get mine back. I'm not very knowledgeable on her computer other than it was a cheap pos from wall art in 2008

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reformat the computer...........................

Do you have an operating system installation disc? (Windows XP, Windows 7, etc...)

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you have the install OS cd/dvd like tony said, it will pretty much walk you through reinstalling windows and formatting the hard drive. You just have to bring up the boot menu from BIOS and set it to boot from the optical drive after you put the disc in.

You'll also need the drivers disc (if the PC came with one), else you'll need to download the drivers online from the manufacturer (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc).

Last edited:

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here is my problem. I need to get my computer sent in to get the screen fixed cause the wiring in the hinges is getting worn out. It's almost 4 years old. Now... We have my wife's dell that crashed from virus a year ago that we need to get fixed so we have something to use for school work. We are both currently students. What I want to know is if anyone can walk me through getting her computer working again for at least 2 weeks till I can get mine back. I'm not very knowledgeable on her computer other than it was a cheap pos from wall art in 2008
Does your computer have Windows Vista installed?

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have no idea what os this thing uses. And I'm not sure where her disc is at for it. Her dell has been under the end table now for about a year

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Send me the computer.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You don't need to reformat to get rid of the virus, ffs.

Does the laptop even boot? If it does, where does it get before it just stops?

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have no idea what os this thing uses. And I'm not sure where her disc is at for it. Her dell has been under the end table now for about a year
Nice thing about dell is that they will normally send you free of charge the reinstall and drivesr disc if you request them even if the PC is older and no longer under warranty. Usually takes 3-5 days to arrive.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

I would recommend that you download dban and run a single pass, then reinstall the OS and drivers.

http://www.dban.org/download

Drivers:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection

This should tell you what OS is on the machine.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/details

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jesus Christ, you don't need to format to get rid of the viruses.

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jesus Christ, you don't need to format to get rid of the viruses.
How many times you going to repeat yourself? Holy sh1t! Is it really that big of a deal to reinstall the OS, would probably take less time then trying to remove the virus via scanning.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How many time you going to repeat yourself? Holy sh1t! Is it really that big of a deal to reinstall the OS, would probably take less time then trying to remove the virus via scanning.
Because it's the proper way to do it instead of taking the reformat way.

I'm going to repeat myself because people give false information, and I have to deal with it day in and day out, fixing their mistakes.

Assault800

I like snow.
Registered VIP
first off, he said its been sitting for a year, so obviously nothing overly important is needed on the HD, secondly, he stated hes not very good with computers, easier = better/faster
thirdly, its been sitting for a year..... a reformat and fresh install of windows is probably best anyways...

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Because it's the proper way to do it instead of taking the reformat way.

I'm going to repeat myself because people give false information, and I have to deal with it day in and day out, fixing their mistakes.
Running a scan or scans on what is more than likely a highly infected machine to get it running is that lazy way to do things. Re-installing the OS or better yet restoring a virus free image after wiping the drive will insure that the machine is virus free.

Running scans will only remove what they find, what they miss will still be on the machine and just cause more headaches for the user down the road.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
first off, he said its been sitting for a year, so obviously nothing overly important is needed on the HD, secondly, he stated hes not very good with computers, easier = better/faster
thirdly, its been sitting for a year..... a reformat and fresh install of windows is probably best anyways...
No it's not "probably the best."

Running a scan or scans on what is more than likely a highly infected machine to get it running is that lazy way to do things. Re-installing the OS or better yet restoring a virus free image after wiping the drive will insure that the machine is virus free.
Oh, I forgot, this is what you do everyday. Don't mind me, it's not like I do this for a living. :roll:

The ONLY time you recommend a format is when it's infected the boot sector or MBR, even then, running the proper commands can even fix that.

Running a scan and cleaning the viruses that way is more beneficial than just wiping the drive.

Running scans will only remove what they find, what they miss will still be on the machine and just cause more headaches for the user down the road.
If you do it properly, with the RIGHT software, I can guarantee it won't be infected. Infact, all my virus removals are guarantee'd for up to 6 months.

I do this for a living, day in and day out.

Assault800

I like snow.
Registered VIP
he needs it done fast, and hes not computer smart.

just friggin reformat and re install windows.

who cares what you do for a living.... dont think anyone asked.

I have a mac, i dont get viruses.

/waits for "Mr. f***ing Jollypants" to chime in about apple.

its been a long boring day at work

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
he needs it done fast, and hes not computer smart.
Just because your not "computer smart" doesn't mean you can't actually do anything.

just friggin reformat and re install windows.
I think he'd rather keep all his wifes documents or other important files.

who cares what you do for a living.... dont think anyone asked.
When it comes to a subject that someone needs help in, it does matter.

I have a mac, i dont get viruses.

/waits for "Mr. f***ing Jollypants" to chime in about apple.
Oh, that's cool. Apples do get viruses, but I guess the fact you use a Mac does explain everything.

Assault800

I like snow.
Registered VIP
Just because your not "computer smart" doesn't mean you can't actually do anything.

I think he'd rather keep all his wifes documents or other important files.

When it comes to a subject that someone needs help in, it does matter.

Oh, that's cool. Apples do get viruses, but I guess the fact you use a Mac does explain everything.
sure apples get viruses, if you look for them and download them lmao.
if he was worried about the documents, im sure they wouldnt have left it sitting, for a whole year without touching it.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You're done arguing because you were caught. What degree do you have? Masters? :rolf:

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK, thre should be a sticker on th bottom of the Laptop that says what O.S is on there.

Ragardless, aside from the Formating and Re-installing the OS route that everyone is suggesting, You can also do a System Recovery or a System Restore. Restore takes your computer back to an earlier time or day. Like yesterday or last month. Recovery takes your computer back to Day 1. Day 1 after you brought it home from wherever you bought it. I have used both of these options many times. For a fact you do not need a mfg cd-rom for System restore because this application is already installed in the os. . it is possible that you will not need a cd either for System recovery.

What is system restore.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-is-System-Restore

What is system recovery
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-Vista

If your computer will not budge what so ever, thee easiest thing to do would be to Re-install Windows.