Picked up a new car... because race car

ReedMann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Gotcha. I was mainly curious, because I've been considering a CTR crank pulley for my engine. This is definitely useful info. Keeps us updated on the changes you notice.

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Gawd i want racecar :O

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got some more work done today, but also didn't get something done that I really wanted done...

I wanted to get the UR pulleys put on so I started with those first. I got done to work, unbolting the alternator. Only to find out that once it was free from the motor that the damn thing is impossible to remove from the engine bay. There is NO room from below or above to pull the alternator out. The only way I could see removing it is either taking the axle out or removing the left side engine mount and twisting the motor out of the way. Either of which I did not want to do... So I tried to pull the stock pulley off with the alternator still in the bay. With a strong impact gun and a vise the hold the pulley from spinning, I could NOT get that damn thing off. So I said screw, I'll put the crank pulley on for now... Before I pulled that one off, I looked at the UR pulleys and the new belt they sent and noticed they sent the WRONG belt for their own pulley kit. The pulleys take a 3 rip belt and they sent me a 2 rip belt. The stock pulleys take a 2 rip belt. So I could put the pulleys on:evil: Going to have a nice word with UR and the seller...

SO after that mess, I went to install the new GC extended top mounts for the front suspension. Removed the suspension and went to try and mount the top mounts. Only to find out that the Koni's that the car came with are the RACE Koni shocks. Which the race models have shortened shafts/bodies already. So I was actually not able to put the mounts on the front suspension.. However I was able to put the top mounts on the rear shocks so I guess all is good, although the rear really didn't need them...

Was able to install new front swaybar endlinks, Energy Suspension.

And was very happy to finally get that Sparco seat into a car..

Still a lot of work to do.. Not enough time... Guess my plan of getting the car set and done before the season isn't going to happen. But not really a huge deal..

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looking good! Reminds me of my first car when I was 15. It was an 88 powder blue CRX with euro taillights I bought from a kids older brother I went to school with.
My dad and I couldn't get the alternator out without removing the axle also, when we did, I didn't have the money for a replacement, so we pulled an 86 civic alternator at the junkyard, made a mounting bracket, painted it white, and spliced the 4 wire plug into the new 3 wire and she fired right the f*** up and ran with no problems whatsoever.

I've been hooked ever since.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Had some family/gf issues this past weekend which put a halt to any progress on the Moogen. But that's all sorted out now so work continues.. First event is now on March 10th, um, this Sunday! So with that, I know I'm not going to get everything done that I want to so a few things will come later. But some important things will happen this weekend.

I FINALLY received the Hawk HP+ pads that I wanted. I won $100 from Hawk Performance last year for winning the WDCR SCCA ProSolo event. I sent lots of e-mails and pulled some teeth to finally get the Hawk HP+ pads that I wanted to spend that $100 on to my door. So just got them, love free stuff =).

Will be putting these on probably on Saturday.

Talked to my sponsor at Karcepts and will be taking the car to his shop to have him align and corner balance the car Friday night. Going to put in that super light Braille battery Thursday. Probably going to change the oil/coolant and check over everything Thursday night. Just getting the last few little things ready before this event on Sunday. Hopefully this snow storm coming through my area won't dampen the fun..

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was going to get some hawk pads and new front rotors next. It was night and day in my brothers car.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Do you like that style sparco seat? It looks similar the corbeau forza, and that seat is in my price range.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The Sparco is a Sparco Junior. It's a very tight fitting seat, especially up towards my lats. I'm really skinny( 5'11" and 148lbs) and it's a pretty tight squeeze on me. Technically probably a better seat for me to use as a driver seat. However I have a bad back and the wider Corbeau is more comfy for me for driving to/from events. So, if you're a small guy, it'd probably work well. Otherwise, go with something that is wider. Aside from it being tight, it's not a bad seat. But again, being fixed back and not a ton a padding, it wouldn't be a great seat for long trips.

Works out well for me, it'll keep from heavier people asking for ride alongs hahaha :lol:

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ hahaha I know what you mean! I have a sloppy over weight friend I used to pick up and he would slide in over the stock seat and it would get on my nerves!

I'm 5'8" and 155, I work out to maintain and have slightly wider shoulders from pull ups, but if it fits okay on you it should fit me well.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was actually referring that the corbeau seat is in my price range, what model is your driver seat? And also what harness are you using?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The Corbeau is the Corbeau Forza. It's a great seat. Pretty comfortable for a fixed back seat. I've had a bunch of people drive/sit in this seat from all sizes and everyone has fit comfortably. Like I said, I have a bad back and one of the venues I frequent is a good hour away and I can just barely tolerate the ride there thanks to the seat. I don't use a harness, just the stock seat belt. No real need to a harness for me. Be careful using a harness and a fixed back seat in a street car.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Got some things done and ready tonight in prep for tomorrows alignment/corner balance at my sponsors place.

Put the rear seats back in, lowered the car all around about 1/4" more, put on some new exhaust hangers since the ones that were on there were cracked and ready to tear apart at any moment and...

replaced the light(15lb) battery to an even lighter 9lb Braille battery.

So like I said, taking the car to get aligned and corner balanced tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what the total weight of the car will be now as it sits. I'm going to guess around 2070lbs with just under 1/2 a tank of gas.

Saturday will be some maintence things like oil, coolant, maybe trans fluid and putting on the new Hawk HP+ pads then I'm all ready to race on Sunday!! :D

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yay for race car driving :D what do your neighbors think about the two race cars? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
They've gotten used to it... I think... I make a lot of noise some times when working on them but never a complaint. I always get weird looks though lol.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol I bet. All those sponsor stickers and what not.

Quick question. I've had a fifth gen civic and currently have a sixth gen civic, both ex trim models. I've noticed my sixth gen has a lot more body roll than my fifth gen. The fifth gen handled much better stock for stock, how about as far as potential goes? Does a beefed out suspension on a sixth gen preform just as well as a modded fifth gen?

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have both '95 EX and a '99 EX coupes myself. The 6th gen is a little heavier than the 5th gen which is probably what you're feeling. Aside from that, the suspension setup for both are very similar. Technically speaking, the 5th gen should always handle slightly better due to it being a little lighter but that's not to say you can't make a 6th gen handle really well. For competition purposes if I had to choose between the 2, it'd definitely be the 5th gen. Every time I get in my '99 after driving the '95 it feels huge to me. Now jumping from my tiny '91 Si to my '99, the '99 feels like a truck lol.

civexspeedy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wahoo, got something really important done tonight. Took the car to my sponsors to get it corner balanced and aligned. Will be a different car for sure this year, should be faster =)

With my sponsors National winning K24 car =)

Perfect 50% cross weight. My sponsor is a prefectionist... We had it at 50.2%, he said not good enough... Got it to 50.1%.. Still not good enough. Hit the 50.0% mark =).

The alignment specs I will be testing out that we set the car at,
Camber:
Front -2.8*
Rear -2.5*

Toe:
Front 3/32" out
Rear 1/16" in

I was 5lbs off from my guess of the weight. The car, with a 1/4 tank of gas and without me in side is 2,065lbs. Still some weight to lose but not a whole lot more that I can/really want to do.

Oil, coolant and new Hawk HP+ pads tomorrow and I'm all set to race on Sunday!

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice! I bet those pads will bite

I_GOT_BOOST

since 06
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok im confused is mugen and moogen the same just spelled diferent or is moogen a brand that i dont know about....either way i feel dumb that i dont know the answer....thanks

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I want a race car so bad. That's great man congrats on the super alignment job, and good luck!