Plz Help: Car Skips When Low On Gas

I_am_Iceman

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah thanks! The earlier posts are what helped me decide which things to do first :-) quick question on what to buy when it comes to getting a rotor and cap. I've yet to replace one of my own, just wondering if you've got any recommendations of what exactly brand wise or whatever to buy or if there are like 'performance' versions that are just over the top and too expensive to go with?

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah thanks! The earlier posts are what helped me decide which things to do first :-) quick question on what to buy when it comes to getting a rotor and cap. I've yet to replace one of my own, just wondering if you've got any recommendations of what exactly brand wise or whatever to buy or if there are like 'performance' versions that are just over the top and too expensive to go with?
OEM will probably be your best and most reliable option. OEM is, however, considerably more expensive, so you may want to consider other brands if price is an issue.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
last time i did a tune up i got a duralast cap and rotor from autozone. to be honest, i liked the quality of it way better then oem. plastic was more thick and more durable, contact posts looked way better, and the mounting screws they come with are zinc-plated steel screws, not aluminum. the oem aluminum screws suck and ive snapped a couple in the distributor before.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Well guys, my success was short lived. While driving today (about a 1/4 tank of gas left) she began to bog while nearing the end of my trip. So, cap and rotor replaced, wrong o2 sensor replaced, fuses checked. Could it be the o2 sensor causing all this chaos? My last resort will be dropping the tank. I know it was suggested that the o2 could have something to do with my low idling (around 500rpms) but could it also be the cause of my bogging issue? Grrrrr, Betty is being stubborn lately!

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well guys, my success was short lived. While driving today (about a 1/4 tank of gas left) she began to bog while nearing the end of my trip. So, cap and rotor replaced, wrong o2 sensor replaced, fuses checked. Could it be the o2 sensor causing all this chaos? My last resort will be dropping the tank. I know it was suggested that the o2 could have something to do with my low idling (around 500rpms) but could it also be the cause of my bogging issue? Grrrrr, Betty is being stubborn lately!
it can be the 02 sensor. what do you mean you have the wrong one in?
the o2 sensor is crucial to the performance of your engine. it monitors the oxygen concentration in your engine-out exhaust and the ecu alters your fuel mapping accordingly. for example, if it detects high oxygen concentration, this means the engine is running too lean and will richen the fuel map. if your o2 sensor is the wrong one, then no doubt your engine will probably be running like crap

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you still have the primary O2 sensor code, fix it and go from there.
:word: Replace the primary O2 sensor this time, and check to make sure that the code goes away when you reset the ECU.

Even if it's not the problem, there are still other possibilities that don't require removal of the fuel tank.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
I didnt install an o2 that wasnt right for my car, I replaced the second o2 sensor and then after realized I was supposes to replace the first one. I will go ahead and do that first and cross my fingers that it is the fix to my problems.

devo1104

5+ Year Member
also, you don't need to drop your fuel tank, you can get to your fuel pump by taking out your rear seat.

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Just updating for those of you who have been watching this post. I'm waiting on my exhaust to come in before I replace the O2 sensor, only because it'll be easier that way then doing everything one at a time. So as soon as I get my exhaust I will update and hope that this resolves my current problems. =)

yellowabh

so i need to replace my 02 sensor as well, and i was wondering if u changed yours and how your ride is going now?

JDM_BTCH

.Eat.Sleep.JDM.
Still waiting for delivery on my exhaust system but my bogging problem stopped when i replaced my distributor cap and rotor. I have no real problems with her now but the O2 sensor is definetly being replaced soon. What problems r u having?