Powerful B-series motor swap?

hondamaster719

Registered VIP
I notice everyone saying the b16 motors are gutless.. so I'm having second thoughts on building one up and maybe going to a b18 block? What do you guys think.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They are gutless as is. You can build it to be awesome though. If you just did bolt ons then it wouldn't yield great numbers

Blayze2010

5th gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
build the engine and boooooooooooooooooooooooooost

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Either low compression pistons and boost that bad boy or stroke the motor to a 1.8 and build n/a

hondamaster719

Registered VIP
Sweet.. gonna have to make a build thread. Is there anything I should worry about when buying a used b16 block. Such as warping or something? (Newbie here. Sorry)

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
They are very gutless but then again I have never rode in a Gsr but my d16y5 felt like it pulled harder off the line than my friends em1.I would either buy a Gsr or go cheap and build a b20 vtec with good rods and pistons, if done right there reliable. I watched an ls vtec turbo on the dyno in person put out 467 hp and 330tq

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
B16's are indestructible. Gutless? I think not. I have had many of them never one problem, from stock to over 500.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The b16 is pretty tough inside because there's soo much metal left. But regardless, they are lacking in torque. The ability to rev super high doesn't make up for the torque loss. They are fun and can take a beating, but raw form power is sub par

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Either low compression pistons and boost that bad boy or stroke the motor to a 1.8 and build n/a

No reason to install low compression pistons. I wouldn't stroke a B16 either though.

Whether a motor is gutless or not all depends on your point of view.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you want to go cheap(er) and not mess with the motor much and still have a ton of fun, I would recommend the GSR swap. I bought mine as it sits with a skunk2 intake manifold, intake/headers/exhaust, a little bit of advance on the timing and a tune on 93 octane. Dynoed 176 hp to the wheels, 6 hp more than its rated for stock at the crank (most GSR dyno pulls I've seen on here are about 145 hp to the wheels in stock form). I even have a "weak sauce" LS trans on there and it's plenty fast for a DD. I imagine putting a motor together like that with a GSR or, even better, a B16B trans (which is the shortest geared version) would be plenty fast unless you plan on tracking the car or are hell bent on putting more than $5000 into the whole thing. With the LS trans I get about 33 mpg combined, you'd get less with the quicker trans. And the torque is about 30% greater than you'd get in a B16. It's pretty great overall.

The bonus is, with everybody going K, the GSR motor has dropped in price and increased in availability. Plus, you can plunk it right in there, no cutting or welding required. :D

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
If you want to go cheap(er) and not mess with the motor much and still have a ton of fun, I would recommend the GSR swap. I bought mine as it sits with a skunk2 intake manifold, intake/headers/exhaust, a little bit of advance on the timing and a tune on 93 octane. Dynoed 176 hp to the wheels, 6 hp more than its rated for stock at the crank (most GSR dyno pulls I've seen on here are about 145 hp to the wheels in stock form). I even have a "weak sauce" LS trans on there and it's plenty fast for a DD. I imagine putting a motor together like that with a GSR or, even better, a B16B trans (which is the shortest geared version) would be plenty fast unless you plan on tracking the car or are hell bent on putting more than $5000 into the whole thing. With the LS trans I get about 33 mpg combined, you'd get less with the quicker trans. And the torque is about 30% greater than you'd get in a B16. It's pretty great overall.

The bonus is, with everybody going K, the GSR motor has dropped in price and increased in availability. Plus, you can plunk it right in there, no cutting or welding required. :D
I might argue with you on the worse gas mileage with the shorter gearr ratio. CIty driving my 99 GSR got 33mpg easy, but say I took a road trip or something of that sort the best I could do was 38 MAYBE 40. I figured it was due to the fact that in city drivning the gsr trans kept the engine within the powerband and thus I didnt need to stay in the throttle as long to get up to speed. ANYWAY, the OP's best bet is to figure out his goals and what he wants to do with the car. This is always step #1 and I don't know what no one has menioned it yet.