Powerful B-series motor swap?

hondamaster719

Registered VIP
Gsr sounds pretty sweet.. again I'm a total noob that's used to his d16y8 but want something with balls and can smoke evos and srt4s. But I want the best block that can handle boost.. Gsr is kinda pricey but prob worth it in the end? Thanks.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
smoke evo's and srt4's? you are going to definitely need some work and boost then

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Gsr sounds pretty sweet.. again I'm a total noob that's used to his d16y8 but want something with balls and can smoke evos and srt4s. But I want the best block that can handle boost.. Gsr is kinda pricey but prob worth it in the end? Thanks.
both my SRTs just lol'd

If that is your goal, youre going to need a decent sized snail strapped to whatever swap you go with.

JeffBel

Registered VIP
A lot of questions coming from a "honda master." An n/a b16 built will hold its own with an evo/srt but won't smoke it. You need boost and by boosting I mean not supercharged. I have personally seen a stock internal b16 with a turbo slapped on put down 290 but it lasted 2-3 months before the rods couldn't take it. I've had a b16 and a b18 personally.
B16= Higher revs awesome midrange
B18= Bigger displacement(duh) through power.

I would take a b18 unless you drop some serious dough into a b16. 350 on stock internals with a good kit and fuel setup isn't far fetched. Probably wouldn't last long still.

hondamaster719

Registered VIP
I'm going with the b16a. New rods. Ctr cams. Pistons. Valves and a port and polish. complete bottom end upgrade. Then time for boost and a nice shot of nos

JeffBel

Registered VIP
I'm going with the b16a. New rods. Ctr cams. Pistons. Valves and a port and polish. complete bottom end upgrade. Then time for boost and a nice shot of nos
Here's my 2 pennies. The b16a is an awesome engine. Ctr cams are also awesome, just so you know 2000-2001 itr cams are the same as ctr cams. With the b16a/b adjustable cam gears are a must, especially with boost. Boost and nos probably isn't a good idea, it's one or the other to be safe. Find yourself a good tuner and set some power goals.

JeffBel

Registered VIP
Depends on your tuner, mine run 250-700 not including dyno rental. Horsepower for dd has quite a few variables: driver, climate, laws, etc

JeffBel

Registered VIP
I'm in colorado so ill be losing a bit of power from the altitude. Not sure about laws either.
Your in Colorado which is about 5000ft? Guessing. I'm in ut, it's 4500 and I'm losing roughly 20-22% power. The only way to get that back is with forced induction. 200-250 is a pain to drive in the snow. I finally put some bigger tires with some meat to them on, makes it nice. Also depending on your clutch/tranny that can make a world of difference. My ls was easy in the snow/rain stock clutch. The b16 tranny I have to start in 2nd but that is also with a ctr clutch. And also driver comes into play. Not sure on Colorado laws, we need mymmery...

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Your in Colorado which is about 5000ft? Guessing. I'm in ut, it's 4500 and I'm losing roughly 20-22% power. The only way to get that back is with forced induction. 200-250 is a pain to drive in the snow. I finally put some bigger tires with some meat to them on, makes it nice. Also depending on your clutch/tranny that can make a world of difference. My ls was easy in the snow/rain stock clutch. The b16 tranny I have to start in 2nd but that is also with a ctr clutch. And also driver comes into play. Not sure on Colorado laws, we need mymmery...
I'm lost on this whole law business when it comes to horsepower. It is not illegal to have a high horsepower car, Colorado or not. This isn't Soviet Russia yet.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its not about horsepower, its about emissions and carb-legal modifications. Some places don't allow it.

JeffBel

Registered VIP
its not about horsepower, its about emissions and carb-legal modifications. Some places don't allow it.
Correcto. Horsepower is just a number.

Take my car as an example. I can make it as stupidly fast as I want but in Utah I can't disturb someone in their home with noise, I can't have anything coming through the hood and it has to pass emissions every other year. That's it. In California you are extremely limited. But once again idk about Colorado

JeffBel

Registered VIP
Depends on the tune, engine and cats.
Mine halfway passes, it's super clean but it doesn't have an o2 sensor so that's a little issue. Nothing a Benjamin can't fix

hondamaster719

Registered VIP
I mean houston haha... I found a motor b16a complete with tranny up here in the springs. It has 24k miles on it but I also found the poor man's type r for a little more. What would you go with.