Powerful B-series motor swap?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
with a swap and turbo your looking at 5g or more why spend that? i have seen plenty d16 motors making upwards of 700hp, why not just take that 2500 you will spend on a b16 swap and build your d16y8 with good rods and pistons and slap on a turbo and make 400hp? daily driver all depends what you can handle but really tough pressure plates and super light weight flywheels are a big pain in the ass to drive all the time, also no traction is a pain to

JeffBel

Registered VIP
with a swap and turbo your looking at 5g or more why spend that? i have seen plenty d16 motors making upwards of 700hp, why not just take that 2500 you will spend on a b16 swap and build your d16y8 with good rods and pistons and slap on a turbo and make 400hp? daily driver all depends what you can handle but really tough pressure plates and super light weight flywheels are a big pain in the ass to drive all the time, also no traction is a pain to
Yep. The d-series would do but the b is a much better starting point. Slap a turbo on a d and make 250 it will run for years. Build it and make 400-500 call it a day.

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
smoke evo's and srt4's? you are going to definitely need some work and boost then
Yeah I didn't realize that was a qualification lol

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you're curious about what is and isn't legal in your state, all you need do is ask your local state trooper, or highway patrol or whatever they have in Colorado.... I know for sure in Texas and California at least, the state troopers and chp have to be versed in what is and is not street legal for ticket writing and impound purposes.

Also, any state inspection location should have a book available full of everything you need to know about what it takes to be legal to pass safety and emissions testing..... Last time I was in Colorado, it was full of hippies, liberals and tree huggers.. so I'd be willing to bet, they will be strict on the emissions stuff..... if they aren't already, they will be soon.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also, any state inspection location should have a book available full of everything you need to know about what it takes to be legal to pass safety
an interesting thing here in Texas is the requirement to have to windshield wipers.....but there is no requirement to have a windshield. Someone did a bit of overlooking at that point.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
an interesting thing here in Texas is the requirement to have to windshield wipers.....but there is no requirement to have a windshield. Someone did a bit of overlooking at that point.
The issue is, IF there is a windshield, there must be wipers to clear water from the windshield. If no windshield, wipers are not an item of inspection.
A cracked windshield also passes inspection, no matter how cracked. Unless the cracks have deformed the glass and the wipers don't fully clear water from the windshield surface.

And then one of my questions in the inspection class was, "What if the wipers don't clear the windshield, and they go have the windshield removed and come back?" .... answer? "Pass"

It's silly, I know.... but laws often times are.

And I didn't know you were from Texas...