Project HX: Efficient Style

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This thread makes me miss my Hx.
It wasn't as nice as yours, but I still miss it!
Well, thanks. Being the cause of recalling good memories is a great compliment.

If I recall correctly, you don't need to remove the bumper to remove the light to access the bulb.
You should be able to access and back out the long silver bolt that holds the housing in, then just pull the housing out.
I would if not for the grille I installed.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, thanks. Being the cause of recalling good memories is a great compliment.

I would if not for the grille I installed.
Now I see it, it is THAT much in the way.

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
C'mon, it only takes a min to take off the bumper. I've taken off mine soon many times, it's ridiculous. Speaking of which, i gotta do it again.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Now I see it, it is THAT much in the way.
Its entirely in the way. I cut & shaped the grille to meet at the edge of the foglight lens. There is zero space there. I have to remove the grille just to take off the fog light housing.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
C'mon, it only takes a min to take off the bumper. I've taken off mine soon many times, it's ridiculous. Speaking of which, i gotta do it again.
I know its easy. Im just not in the mood. Its in part due to me having to check for a loose connection or ground because I loosened a connection there when I installed the grille.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
lol i have quick release on my front bumper. it no joke takes me 1-2 sec to get my whole front off

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lol i have quick release on my front bumper. it no joke takes me 1-2 sec to get my whole front off
Thats not an option I'd even consider. I hate the look of those things on a daily driver. Besides, it seems lazy to me to add those things when the stock alternative is just 2 screws & 2 lower bolts.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Thats not an option I'd even consider. I hate the look of those things on a daily driver. Besides, it seems lazy to me to add those things when the stock alternative is just 2 screws & 2 lower bolts.
thats true but i end up taking my front bumper on and off often so for me its a lot more practical to have instead of carrying screw driver and 10mm socket.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats true but i end up taking my front bumper on and off often so for me its a lot more practical to have instead of carrying screw driver and 10mm socket.
If it works for you then thats all that matters.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I finally got around to installing my SI strut bar today, which was pretty easy thanks to the suggestions from this thread...
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/how-to-install-oem-si-front-strut-bar-on-ek-chassis.206645/
Using the proper tools, it took me maybe 30-45 minutes without rushing. I used a step drill bit with my lithium battery drill and four m8 x1.25 20mm stainless steel bolts with nuts & washers. The pre-drill holes didn't all match up so I used the lowest two towards the bumper as my guides. My test drive yielded a noticeable difference on firm & quick turns.

20160310_184822.jpg

jnewman0910

Respected
So the insight seats are comfortable? I eventually would like to change my seats idk which to get but yeah... 1997 Honda Civic ex coupe

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yup. I love them. Keep in mind I had to modify the rail & mounting tabs to make them fit. The only issue, which is negligible, is that the seat back adjustment is towards the center of the car instead of traditionally being located on the door side. This is due to the Insight having no back seats but storage compartments behind the passenger seat. I dont mind it much anymore. Im already use to moving the seats for anyone who gets in my back seat.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Today was productive. I installed new fog lights and finally got around to changing the oil filter (15k mile intervals), PCV valve & PCV hose. With the oil filter removed, the old PCV valve still did not cooperate and decided to snap despite my best efforts in such a tight space. I had to break it up then push in the remaining fragment into the canister, which I've read is common and safe to do. Its located inconveniently above the oil filter location and in the middle of too much else. I circled the PCV valve & hose in blue for reference.
PCV valve location.jpg

Next on the agenda will be replacing the rebuilt Brake Master Cylinder. Unfortunately, it started leaking after about 2 months but its under lifetime warranty at O'Reilly's. Then on to replacing the AC compressor, drier & explansion valve. Im looking for a good tutorial on that besides the PDF service manual download.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As of earlier yesterday, I hit the 188,000 mile mark and its running strong. 20160614_150921-1.jpg

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
UPDATE:

I got my AC running again, but not without an "adventure". I order a kit including a rebuilt compressor, drier, expansion valve and seals from a well reviewed shop down in Miami, figuring if any problems came up that they were a long drive away or a quick shipment away. Well, the first rebuilt compressor kept locking up so I had to request a replacement (free of cost) and it arrived in 2 days. When that one was installed, the condenser decided to leak the very next day. Needless to say I was quite frustrated. The radiator shop agreed to sell me the condenser at-cost and over-nighted it for free.

While installing it yesterday, I realized that the lower radiator and condenser mount brackets were bent upward as if a previous owner ran over something that pushed them all upward. I adjusted them back down and everything fit in much better. FYI, I found it easier to slide in the condenser and hook up the lower line before sliding in and installing the fan. My local shop filled the AC system with freon and it's all working well now. The engine bay is much quieter now as well. I'm also glad because these 100+ degree feeling days with 80%-ish humidity can be a pain with long drives.

Now on to figuring out why my radiator fan isn't turning on...
(skip to post #8) http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/overheating-radiator-fan-issue.225093/

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Now on to figuring out why my radiator fan isn't turning on...
(skip to post #8) http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/overheating-radiator-fan-issue.225093/
Problem, solved as well as this...

http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/taillights-off-when-headlights-on-97-civic.230835/

... and I figured out a loose connection at my fog light fuse holder. 3 issues solved makes for one productive day. I hope my odd luck decides to re-enter hibernation just before my job interview tomorrow.