Proposing.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, I've officially decided to propose to my girlfriend of 3 and a half years. We've been great together since day one. I truly believe that there's not one person better for me out there in the world. I've been thinking on this and it really didn't take too much to be honest but I've decided to ask her hand in marriage. I've asked her parents who both overwhelmingly said yes and that they can't wait to have me as part of the family. My family loves her as well. Everyone except for my mom. Who hates her. But with that evil aside I believe this is the start of something good. I'm on track to get started into my career, and there's some other things I have to do during this period of engagement but that's what it's there for. The only thing I haven't gotten figured out yet, is how I'm going to ask her, or when. Got the ring though. Any heartmelting stories of proposals anyone feels like sharing? Just doing some brainstorming

civicspencer

Registered VIP
Thats great to hear!
If you don't mind me asking why does your mom hate her but everyone els loves her haha?

Have you thought about Christmas eve, near a river, on a bridge maybe
Would you want to do it in front of people or alone?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.877312,-99.509389

Jlpz88

Registered VIP
Congrats bro! The way I proposed was rose pedals that led to the bed with the engagement ring in the middle and just got down on one knee and poped the question lol there's so many different ways

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
Congrats man! That's amazing!

I heard a story that a couple was out eating Chinese food and when the fortune cookies came the ring was in hers. Then he got on one knee and popped the question.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Honestly, it's going to depend on the girl. Some proposals are cheesy, some are cute, some are crazy.... I think it depends what the girl is into and how far the guy is willing to go.

There was one I watched on the bing video page thingy where they guy got up on a ledge, had his friend toss him the ring but overshot and the guy fell off. So the girl started screaming, ran to the ledge and saw that he landed on a big landing pad and was holding a sign that said "ME" with "will you marry" each on individual posts on the ground.

JustJustin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Honestly, it's going to depend on the girl. Some proposals are cheesy, some are cute, some are crazy.... I think it depends what the girl is into and how far the guy is willing to go.

There was one I watched on the bing video page thingy where they guy got up on a ledge, had his friend toss him the ring but overshot and the guy fell off. So the girl started screaming, ran to the ledge and saw that he landed on a big landing pad and was holding a sign that said "ME" with "will you marry" each on individual posts on the ground.
I saw that too! By far the best proposal ever. :thumbs up

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
What kind of things is she into? She live in a different area than her parents? Saw one on Yahoo where the chick was from the north and missed the snow and the winter seasons (they lived in a warm climate) and he paid someone to make a set look like her home town with snow and all and he proposed on that set in the park that looked like her hometown. Unique if you ask me. Whatever you decide, good luck man.

HondaWoman1207

Well congrat! I can't say I was proposed to. We went to the courthouse so I really didn't have the enjoyment of being asked infront of ppl. I just think it would be romanic to be in a park not like a play ground making that clear lol. Walking along at like you drop something then pull the box out with the ring in it and then ask.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks everyone, I'm still pondering because I really want this to be special.

@civicspencer - my mom's just crazy. My girlfriend and her butt heads a lot because my mom takes care of my sisters kids, or tries to anyways, but she doesn't really discipline them. Well my girlfriend's not afraid to discipline them when they do something wrong so it makes her look like the bad guy, but.. for example, the kids would be squirting out a tube of my toothpaste all over the walls and my mom would be nowhere to be found, my girlfriend would yell at them to stop and make them clean it up. My mom would come in hearing Jess yelling and think she's overreacting. This happens with just about everything.

But yeah I'm still trying to think of how to pop the question. She wants a portable dvd player for christmas (I don't know why) and my boss wants me to make a video of me telling her how much she means to me and that I love her, etc. That's far too cheesy for me. I just want it to come from the heart, but the problem is, all I can think to do is just get us alone after a long night and ask her to marry me. I'm thinking.. we're way overdue for a night to ourselves, so possibly dinner and a movie, and then maybe go to the park for a walk, and then spill my guts out and ask her.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Engaged at 18?! If it ends up working out, congratulations. It's my personal opinion that someone should be settled into their life before considering marriage. That means actually being SETTLED in a career, and having a place of your own. Just my opinion. Good luck.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Engaged at 18?! If it ends up working out, congratulations. It's my personal opinion that someone should be settled into their life before considering marriage. That means actually being SETTLED in a career, and having a place of your own. Just my opinion. Good luck.
:word: Not trying to hate on what you're doing but you're making a lifetime decision on feelings you've acquired between the ages of 15 and 18 is a pretty scary thought. I bet if you ask anyone here or anyone you know that's even a little bit older (I'm 26) that they've changed their outlook on things since that age. Again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your girl or your relationship but getting married this early could be a bad move. You don't have anything to lose by waiting but you might gain perspective which will either confirm what you want to do is right or make you glad you decided to wait. Either way, best of luck.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
f**k the haters. If you honestly feel like she's the one, do it.

HondaWoman1207

Its totally your decision if she is the one do what your heart is telling you. I will be turning 21 next wen and I got married when I was 18 and almost four months pregnant and we are still doing pretty good. The best thing to do is not spill everything out at once. She will love for you on random days to say how you feel still and add more things to it as the years go by. =)

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nobody's hating. It's called life advice.
I understand. If I didn't know someone's background and they came at me talking about getting engaged at 18 I'd tell them to wait. But it's just a decision I've grown comfortable with. This engagement period will probably last a year and a half to two years. That's what it's for. But I'm pretty confident in my decision. I definitely understand and appreciate the concern though.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
. I just want it to come from the heart, but the problem is, all I can think to do is just get us alone after a long night and ask her to marry me. I'm thinking.. we're way overdue for a night to ourselves, so possibly dinner and a movie, and then maybe go to the park for a walk, and then spill my guts out and ask her.
^this. Nice and romantic is the perfect way to do it =) good luck man

dj_hallucn8

"to punish and enslave"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I asked my wife to marry me at our Halloween party, we were in costume & everyone was there to see, she even held my beer as I got down on one knee, I'll post the video when I get back on my pc.

civicspencer

Registered VIP
Its totally your decision if she is the one do what your heart is telling you. I will be turning 21 next wen and I got married when I was 18 and almost four months pregnant and we are still doing pretty good. The best thing to do is not spill everything out at once. She will love for you on random days to say how you feel still and add more things to it as the years go by. =)
Take it from a lady, good s**t

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.877379,-99.509463