Proposing.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Guys, he said they are going to be engaged for a year & a half to two years, that is plenty of time to figure out if you can live with some one
I changed quite a bit between 18 and 20, and then quite a bit more between 20 and 22. Two years is nothing if it's still during the time of life development.

HondaWoman1207

He has a decision to be engaged. There is no need to say he is to young. Everybody gets married at a different age. Finding the right person comes at any time of your life and you want to spend all the time together as much as you can. Do what feels right and enjoy life.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
What is thr matter with not being married. Marriage is a binding contract on paper. Ive been married since April 09 I have been with my wife since 2007. We got married cause we loved each other but it was nice for money. Just get a pre nub and know things wont stay the same

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advice from a true genius.
:roll:

Everyone has different life experiences, and not everyones life is the same. Just because you think it's too early doesn't mean it is. Whose to say he holds off for two years because he took your guys' advice, and she broke up with him because she felt it wasn't going anywhere? What would be your advice then? "It wasn't meant to be?"

I made the mistake of losing the one I truly loved and thought was the one because I thought I was too young, but now, I know it was a mistake holding off. Just because you think it's too young for you to get married, doesn't mean it is or isn't for him and her. People change over their lifetime, of course they are going to change between 18 and 26, but why not change with someone he truly loves and wants apart of his life? Why can't she change with someone she truly loves and wants to be apart of her life? Just because you're single at 20something doesn't mean he should be.

I changed quite a bit between 18 and 20, and then quite a bit more between 20 and 22. Two years is nothing if it's still during the time of life development.
You'll also change from your current age, and two years from now.

Here's my take on it: It's better to have tried and see if it'd work, than to never have tried at all.

speedygonzales

Royal Member ~ RonJ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm with young and mr. jollypants on this one. If you feel like this is what you want to do then more power to you man. Prove the statistic sheets wrong, show everyone that at a young age you can make it work. Yea you got your whole life ahead of you, why not try and see if just a part of it is ment to be with that special person? to me it sounds like the only difference between being "engaged" and not is a ring lol. =) have fun with it man and good luck

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Everyone has different life experiences, and not everyones life is the same. Just because you think it's too early doesn't mean it is. Whose to say he holds off for two years because he took your guys' advice, and she broke up with him because she felt it wasn't going anywhere? What would be your advice then? "It wasn't meant to be?"
It's true that everyone has different life experiences and I completely agree that not everybody should do the same thing but how can you disregard the fact that this is a life decision based on feelings acquired between the ages of 15 and 18. I'm not saying he shouldn't do it, I'm just saying that I don't see the harm in waiting. If he waits and it doesn't work out than that's that, if he doesn't wait and it doesn't work out you're talking divorce and probably have to throw kids in to the mix. It's highly unlikely that an 18 year old girl is going to leave him because she wants a ring. If she does than something's not right anyway. The OP mentions having a good start on his career, at 18 years old I have to be very suspicious about what that really means. At 18 it's pretty hard to know what a career really means let alone how solidified into it you are. You can go ahead and say "F*** the Haters" but this isn't a DGK shirt, it's somebody's life. At no point have I said anything negative about the OP or his relationship, I'm just suggesting that even though he's thought about it, he might be making a rash decision. It's very easy to get lovestruck especially at that age. I know that I've done it, more than once in fact which from my experience reinforces my point. I guess what I'm saying is you don't know what you don't know and I think with something like marriage you need a little more life experience. Maybe your feelings won't change and if that's the case that's fantastic. Besides, who want's to not be able to drink at their own wedding?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You say you're not trying to say anything negative yet you are judging the OP and making assumptions.

He's happy, is ready for marriage, and wants to make the leap. Who are we to tell him otherwise? Is it wrong to offer advice? No. But you guys are bickering over a decision he's already made.

Like I've said multiple times, a marriage is a lot more than what you guys are trying to make it out to be. It's up to the couple to decide whether or not they can make it work. Not us.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I made the mistake of losing the one I truly loved and thought was the one because I thought I was too young, but now, I know it was a mistake holding off.
If you lost her because you waited too long to get married, then she wasn't the one. Let's think about this logically. If somebody is really "the one", they will stick through anything. There's plenty of SERIOUS issues that couples deal with everyday, that are FAR worse than waiting a little while to get married.

HondaWoman1207

It's his life, he will decide. There is nothing wrong with him going for it. Please stop telling him that it might not work. If it doesn't he will find out when he asks. They want to be together so let them. Marriage isn't bad,if they want that's their life not ours. He just ask any suggestion about proposing not getting negative responses and telling him to wait. Engagement can last for how ever long they want it too.

Go with your heart.=)

alex_n/a

stocker
I was going to get married at 18 also. To a girl that had been my best friend for over 4 years. And no it's not that crap that we were bf/gf so that makes her my best friend. She actually was my bf. We fell in love and wanted to get married. We hardly got into fights and usually it was about pointless stuff. I told her we should move in together. I had a good job that paid about 1k a week. I thought I had it made. Before we actually got a place together I found out by her brother that she was cheating on me and that she was moving in with her new bf and he was 28 years old. I'm living proof..... Of what can happen. Not exactly like that but similar. I THOUGHT I knew her. Heck I even knew when her period was. I knew about every bf. I knew about every thought she had. But s**t happens. And if you think I'm sad about this. Ha that b***h can suck it! I have a much better life without her. She still calls me and texts me because she is sorry and wants me back. She thinks I will take her back hahahahahah. My point is that I knew her really well. But you never really know a person. Doesn't matter what people say. The human mind and person is far to complicated.

also OP , is she prego or something? If she really is the one then she will be there in 5years 10 years 15 years even 20 years. So why rush? Take it slow like a honda up a hill. Baby steps.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I'm gathering that everyone in this thread supporting him doing this, is either

A--single and lonely
B--single, lonely, and young
C--married way too young b/c of being knocked up, or just married young in general.

The people NOT for this are

A--the older generation that have been around longer
B--single by choice
C--single not by choice but smart enough to know it'll happen at the right time

Anyway. OP why are you asking for suggestions on how to propose? WE don't know your girl, YOU do, so why ask us? You know if she's quiet and shy, or if she would want it public, an audience, etc. You know what her hobbies and passions are. Tie them all together.

My exfiance proposed to me almost perfectly. In my favorite place, with my favorite animal, but there were people around. I myself would prefer privacy, then call/text/fb everyone I knew later. I want to enjoy the moment with HIM..not everyone else.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
also OP , is she prego or something?
That was my first thought. Most kids marry b/c they're knocked up. Hell...one in here admitted it already. Married for all the wrong reasons.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
So I'm gathering that everyone in this thread supporting him doing this, is either

A--single and lonely
C--married way too young b/c of being knocked up, or just married young in general.

B--single by choice
Yea, this just about sums everything up...

emerican

Registered VIP
I will ruin the surprise for him
He purposed last night she said yes idk how he did it whenever he gets back on here he can tell everybody if he wants.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
How about we just live our lives and leave his alone. That sounds pretty damn good to me.
The First Amendment to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.
I've said my piece in here, so I don't plan on saying anything more about my opinion. However I do have one thing to say, and I'm saying this as a member, not as a moderator. Not one person who thought the OP should wait until he was older to get married, was telling any one of you to stop stating your opinion. Try showing respect to those who have an opposing view, and let them say what they want to say. Thank you, and good night.

civicspencer

Registered VIP

A--single and lonely

B--single by choice

WRONG

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.877243,-99.509386