rear discs

shlammed

Banned
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what would be the easiest way to get rear discs on my 89dx...ie what car should i take them from and what parts do i need?

phan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
taken from archive, quoting TEMP aka iamgod

[begin quote]

to PROPERLY do this you need the following

trailing arms (will come with calipers and rotors) from a 90-93 teg or 90-91 Si crx
CRX Si (90-91) ebrake cables (the teg ones will work but are too long and will need to be modified)
90-93 teg prop valve (all rear disk prop valves have "4040" stamped on them)
and an 89 integra M/C (direct bolt in) or 90-93 teg brake booster and M/C

for more details on how to actually do this swap go here

http://www.fourthgenhatch.com/index2.html

go to technical and then how to and then 93 rear disc, this site is the best one i have seen on how to do this conversion and i used its instructions when i did mine, it also looks like he recently installed the teg booster and M/C which i will be doing shortly as well

[/begin quote]

yea, i was lazy...leave me alone. :D

leecruz

Enter the honda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ive got an 89 with an AEM big brake upgrade and the easiest way to convert to disks is find a 91 CRX and take off everything you need to convert and if you wanted to upgrade the front i went with a91 civic ex 4dr .

iamgod

Banned
Originally posted by leecruz
Ive got an 89 with an AEM big brake upgrade and the easiest way to convert to disks is find a 91 CRX and take off everything you need to convert and if you wanted to upgrade the front i went with a91 civic ex 4dr .
big brake how? just larger rotors or the whole shebang? if you get the whole thing you have wasted ENTIRELY too much money, even if you got their larger rotors you did as well unless you are road racing/auto crossing

leecruz

Enter the honda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't think it was a waste of money. I actually do make use of the brake upgrade. And the front application is actually from a 94 Honda Civic AEM BigBrake Upgrade kit, not a 91 like I said.

iamgod

Banned
I don't think it was a waste of money. I actually do make use of the brake upgrade. And the front application is actually from a 94 Honda Civic AEM BigBrake Upgrade kit, not a 91 like I said.

how do you make use of it?

leecruz

Enter the honda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You press on the brake pedal and you could stop faster

iamgod

Banned
You press on the brake pedal and you could stop faster

one word for you BULLSHIT, the size of the rotor has NOTHING to do w/ your stopping distance, there are soooo many factors to determine the stopping distance but rotor size is not one of them, d00d if you are going to try to spoon feed me bullshit at least try to do it w/ a silver spoon, the only possible way you would make use of significantly larger brakes is if your car were a road race/auto-x/circut racing track only car, larger rotors resist fade better, thats it there is nothing special to them, larger calipers CAN help to speed stopping distances BUT, and this is a LARGE BUT, you will have to have the proper master cylinder/prop valve/booster setup along w/ good tires, etc, on a stock system (m/c/prop valve/booster) a larger braking system will do NOTHING and i repeat NOTHING for you i will be supplying links shortly

leecruz

Enter the honda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I guess those guys at Brembo, Willwood, StopTech, and all the other big brake suppliers were wrong all this time. Maybe you should supply your links to their emailing lists.

iamgod

Banned
I guess those guys at Brembo, Willwood, StopTech, and all the other big brake suppliers were wrong all this time. Maybe you should supply your links to their emailing lists.

they are, if you believe everything a COMPANY tells you (its called ADVERTISING, MARKETING and CAPITALISM) then you should sell all of your goods and live in a box

EDIT: answer this simple question for me, WHAT STOPS A CAR?

leecruz

Enter the honda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Actually, I don't believe companies based on what they say. I look at the actual results. I stop WAY BETTER than I did stock. There are plenty of magazines out there that have done documented tests on various big brake upgrades with favorable results. Even certain car companies are using bigger brakes to perform better on the street and the track (Honda now uses Brembo for the ITR, even Ferrari enlisted Brembo to design the 15" rotor for the front brakes). I'm pretty sure the owners of these cars use the vehicles on the street every now and then (maybe even use them on the street most of the time), but even then they could enjoy the benefits of having bigger brakes.

iamgod

Banned
Actually, I don't believe companies based on what they say. I look at the actual results. I stop WAY BETTER than I did stock. There are plenty of magazines out there that have done documented tests on various big brake upgrades with favorable results. Even certain car companies are using bigger brakes to perform better on the street and the track (Honda now uses Brembo for the ITR, even Ferrari enlisted Brembo to design the 15" rotor for the front brakes). I'm pretty sure the owners of these cars use the vehicles on the street every now and then (maybe even use them on the street most of the time), but even then they could enjoy the benefits of having bigger brakes.

ugh you are missing the whole point, and you did not answer my question

WHAT STOPS A CAR?

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by iamgod
EDIT: answer this simple question for me, WHAT STOPS A CAR?
throw it into reverse .... i never quite figured out what that pedal to the left of the gas is for :lol:

Actually, I don't believe companies based on what they say. I look at the actual results.
which can easily be falseified. Just take a look at aem, just because they have ripped off enough people to afford dyno testing dont mean their shits better than a generic which has exactly the same design minus a carb sticker.

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
s**t i was about to say brakes but its better to keep quiet and appear stupid than say something and remove doubt ... oh s**t maybe i shouldnt have posted this ... then again i wasnt defending big brake kits so im good.

leecruz

Enter the honda
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Both those sites you listed had brake upgrades as a favorable thing to do to a car for stopping performance (therefore, contradicting your own argument). I did'nt find much or anything on tires having to do something for performance on those sites, even though tires do play a part. But big brake upgrades do work as long as you have all the proper working items. Tires do not do the braking, BTW, brakes do.....thus the name "brakes".

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so if i hit the brakes on my car and there is no tire the shits gonna stop?

iamgod

Banned
Both those sites you listed had brake upgrades as a favorable thing to do to a car for stopping performance (therefore, contradicting your own argument). I did'nt find much or anything on tires having to do something for performance on those sites, even though tires do play a part. But big brake upgrades do work as long as you have all the proper working items. Tires do not do the braking, BTW, brakes do.....thus the name "brakes".

so then you are telling me that if you have the 4 for $100 tires from some cheapo company you will stop in the EXACT same distance as you would w/ r compound tires? is that what you are telling me?