Reliability history of your 6th gen?

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm curious how the life of everyone's 6th jen has been.

Have you had any problems?
How many miles and what model?
Why do you think the problems happened? How well did you take care of your car?

I've got 93000 miles on my 97 sedan EX and my radiator needed replacing at around 75000 miles (top tank started leaking). I don't flog my car or race it, but I commute with it every day. It consumes no significant amounts of oil and everything runs well still. Honda reputation upheld.

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
reaplaced tranny
<car is listed
speeding bump painted black at night at about 35 mph, i missed it while right tire and corner of the bump nail my tranny. Boy that was fun :(

mugen00

American Honda=Domestic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I bought mine in 2000 brand new!! Never had anything wrong with it!! Its got 45,000 miles on it and im about to replace my rotors with new OEM ones cause its about that time!! The only think that happened was my check engine light came on but found out i forgot to reconnect my o2sensor wire when i cleaned my battery!!! I I also change my oil every 3 months and my local honda dealer!!!

Madspeed_Si

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 00 civic ex, it got 36000 miles on it. Never had a problem with it... I change my oil every 3000 miles...

georgelb

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
00 civic ex bought new in 2000.

I had numerous problems with my IAC valve and it was cleaned by Honda about 3 times. The last time being in Sep of 02 at around 46000 miles. At that point they said if it happened again the valve would need to be replaced. The problem did not occur until recently when I ran seafoam through the engine and removed the TB and cleaned it out as well. I removed the IAC valve, cleaned it, and reset the idle and all has been good.

The only other problem I have had was kind of a biggie. My AC compressor blew up in Sep of 02 as well, sending metal through the entire system...ruining it all. Honda said it was due to an external stimuli, like a rock hitting it...but it blew from the inside out. The thing was about 10k out of warranty, but after much bickering they agreed to replace the entire AC system for an $800 deductible.

The car now has a little over 65k on it and is doing fine. I keep up on the maintenance and do not flog the car. I generally keep it out of VTEC...save for occasions when I just want to hit some open roads and flog it. When I installed ES bushings a couple months back I did notice that several of the stock bushings were cracked or sagging though.

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 2000 civic si with 110,000 miles..i had no problems with it. i maintain my car as best as i can and replace parts when i should on time..couple things little late then i wanted but everything went well. my starter was going dying earlier then i thought, i had to change my starter last year..but i have a remote starter on my car which may have cause it to go out early.

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
96 Ex coupe
Bought it used back in 2001. I have 107,XXX on it now.
I've actually had no problems since day one. (crossing my fingers)
I don't push it often. I'll take it to 6K every now and again. Other then that, it's just my daily.
I just keep up with suggested maintenence.
Honda reliability rules :thumbs up:

onetwistedcivic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a 98 ex with 185,000 miles (get jealous)
i purchased it used in 01 with 73,000 miles on it
and up until recently its held together pretty well....
ive gone through 2 clutches, 1 starter (i also have remote start), tranny just went out, heater core went out, and my local oil change shop stripped the threads in my oil pan....didnt tell me.... and after 2 days i spun a bearring causeing the upper and lower bearings on the 4th cylinder to break in 2..... needless to say motor is in the process of being pulled and a b16 is being dropped in now......and im talking to my lawyer about the place that changed my oil.....but other than that ive had no problems lol

P0gKai

B20VTEC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
98 LX

27,900 Miles, only replaced the primary oxygen sensor.

no problems so far.

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Good responses.... keep em coming...

I wanna see how Honda is living up to the reputation with some real data. (Personally, I think they are still very reliabile, but I just want to see)

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have a 98 EX with 99,000+ miles on it, that I'm about to have to replace the CV axle on... also am soon going to have the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs changed, and the valve lash set.... or rather, I'll be doing all that as soon as I have some extra time.
I also recently purchased a 97 DX hatch, with 51,000 miles on it... I have yet to have any problems with it what so ever.

I change my oil every 2,500 miles with mobile 1 full synthetic 5w30, change my anti-freeze every 6 months, and do ALL my own work on my car.

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
> New Battery
> Passenger Window is slow
> Window Seals are a little crappy (wear and tear)

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
where do you dispose of your old anti- freeze?

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
96greencivic said:
where do you dispose of your old anti- freeze?
AutoZone takes mine. I think Walmart takes it too... I know Walmart takes old oil at least.

RainyDaze

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 99 Ex Coupe, it hit the 116,800 mile marker today :( I bought it used and the only problems with the car at the time of purchase were cosmetic. I do change the oil every 3k like suggested. I've done all the recommended maintenance except for the 115k, (can't afford it right now).

The car usually runs fine from what I can tell.

Current problems:
The suspension needs replacing, but I'm waiting until I can afford to get the suspension I really want.
Just noticed the last time I changed my oil that I might have a slight oil leak, but I'm not positive.
I know that the rubber connecting/cover piece for the shift rod into the tranny has a hole and needs replacing asap. (forgive my lack of knowledge on proper names)
My drivers side power mirror rattles if the vehicle is on and the door is open, this just started two weeks ago.
Ever since my drivers side window was busted I have more than normal wind noise at higher speeds.
My short shifter rattles when at idle or under high excelleration, but only ever since the short shifter and polyurethane bushings were installed.
I am gonna need new bushings all around soon if not already.
Sometimes the engine struggles to start up, only does this everyone once in awhile, like every 2 months or so, not sure why.... ??
Oh yea, and some of the interior lights need replacing.

I do push the engine sometimes, more than I should. I'm sure there is some internal work needing to be done, especialy concidering the number of miles on the engine. The car is my daily driver and I also use it for work, deliveries, so it gets a work out everyday, non-stop, stop and go driving

*Edit* Forgot to add that I have had to replace the battery, spark plugs and some other parts that are critical to engine performance, dealer did it for me, don't remember which parts at the moment though... Nonetheless it was not cheap.

Last edited:

RainyDaze

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know Autozone will take old oil, they wont take the old oil filter though, at least not where I live, not sure about anti-freeze though.

RiceGirl

Luv my labbie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have had no problems with the Ex and I bought it brand new. On the Si we just had to replace the brake pads other then that, no problems.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1997 LX with 70k
-cracked exhaust manifold at 65k
-power locks work sometimes, dont work sometimes
-power windows are slooowww, especially back drivers side
-trunk rattles
-tachometer stopped working for a while
...i'll think of more

Last edited:

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
New battery and positive cable.
Passager and driver windows had to get some work done..
55,600 miles..not much problems...