Reliability history of your 6th gen?

2kstreetcivic

Runnin to Redline
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 2000 civic ex coupe..

- 51,xxx miles on it.....
- had the tranny rebuilt for $2100 at 39,xxx miles and now the tranny is falling apart again
- hit someone in parking lot, new front bumper
- got run off the freeway by a drunk driver, crashed into the dirt wall on the side of the freeway which ended up destroying the front right corner of my car which costed me $3500 in damage....
- someone hit me in parking lot and scratched my rear bumper
- passenger window is SLOW
- driver's side armrest is cracked alttle but, dont know how that happened

I think that is it.....I love my car though..its my baby, especially since I bought new suspension, shocks, and sway bar for her...shes awesome...

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why'd your tranny break so quickly?!?

aryohrling

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've got a '97 EX Coupe. Bought it used with 82K in late April. Now has 97K on it...Change oil every 3K, using Mobil 1 Synth. Runs great. Had one problem with sucking up water and hydrolocking. I have 30PSI less of compression in the first cylinder than the other 3, but it is still running fine. Not burning oil, just a valve tap. I'm in the process of pulling hte head off in the next week and putting new valves, springs and retainers in. But the car still got me from NJ to FL with a bent valve...These things hold up. I've had no problems with the cooling system, or anything else...whoever owned the car previous to me messed up some cosmetic things with the bumper and such, and I've done a lot of work to the car after that...but no problems at all...

especko

the reborn ESP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
only common problem that i have seen a few times and also has happened to myself is the hood latch lever on the inside of the car tends to break. the handle snaps in half.

2kstreetcivic

Runnin to Redline
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
chimchim said:
Why'd your tranny break so quickly?!?

we dont know...I have a manual tranny and somehow all the syncros and a couple other things inside the tranny were ALL burned up.....My dad and I think it was just a bad transmission and that Honda should have given us a new one, but they didnt think that, so the just "fixed" it but now it is starting to do the same thing as before...so, we will see how this time turns out...

silverc1v1c

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99 civic ex... only problem has been the A/C
had to replace compressor, drier, valve

Liz

c=}:::::::>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EM1_ProJect said:
> New Battery
> Passenger Window is slow
> Window Seals are a little crappy (wear and tear)
I have these problems as well. Anyone know a cheap way to fix them? I dont even roll my passenger side window down anymore.

Anyways:

I have a 99 civic SI, bought it used
-Miles: 108,000
-I replaced the timing belt at 100,000
-My starter went out at about 106,000
-I had some stupid idiot hit my driver side fender (but the way if anyone has a spare for cheap please let me know)
-Hood lach broke along time ago I just have a string there now.

Other than that she is AOK.

Rubixcu7

Not Fittin In...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99 ex... and only thing i can complain about... PASS WINDOW SOOOOOO SLOW... maybe ill turbo it... ahahahahahaha

Liz

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok I see that everyones window is screwed up. So does anyone know what we can do about this? Mine is not off track or anything. Its it the motor or what? I have tryed to lub up the sides to make it go faster but it did not do anything. Gained maybe half a horse, lol.

Frostee

OMG?! IS IT A HONDER!?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2kstreetcivic said:
we dont know...I have a manual tranny and somehow all the syncros and a couple other things inside the tranny were ALL burned up.....My dad and I think it was just a bad transmission and that Honda should have given us a new one, but they didnt think that, so the just "fixed" it but now it is starting to do the same thing as before...so, we will see how this time turns out...
2kstreetcivic, do you power shift? That could definatly have something to do with it, when you rev it up to say 6-8k in 1st then slam it into 2nd and you hear a click noise, that means the syncro didnt have time to line up with the gear, if you do this repeatedly you can burn em out.. just my 2c

98 green civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've got a 98 ex with 79,000 miles on it I bought it from Honda with 45,00 miles on it. I've replaced the ac idler bearing and I need to buy a new cat converter. Other then that the car has been really reliable. Also the passenger side window is slow.

Noeladams

Keyboard Cowboy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well I have about 162000 on my black civic and the only thing that has been done is the norm maintance, the timing belt and stuff were replaced at 100k. I think I need a upper ball joint but gotta check it out closer but other than that I havent had to do anything to it. Except DRIVE =)

Styx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Passenger window is slow as well - and my silencer on my exhaust fell on the ground the other day. Other than that, no problemos.

Liz

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hate honda windows. They can make a car that can run darn near forever. But they cant see to make a window that will roll up or down.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
not 6th gens, but i have had great luck with my hondas- all but my sedan are/were on the original clutches

91 hatchback dx- crashed @138k miles. no major repairs

93 accord- needed a clutch m/c at 130k, now at 138k still strong

95 civic ex coupe- bought at 84k, now at 127, no major repairs, just needed to fix the rusting exhaust.

95 dx sedan- ran to 175k before the first swap, now at 192k with nothing original.. but not replaced cus it broke.

Noeladams

Keyboard Cowboy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Styx said:
Passenger window is slow as well - and my silencer on my exhaust fell on the ground the other day. Other than that, no problemos.

my passengers w indow is slow but only first thing in the moring,,, guess its like me! :LOL:

Frostee

OMG?! IS IT A HONDER!?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Take the rubber gaskets out and clean them with something like Rubbercare and treat it so the glass will be able to slide. It needs to be clean and it cant have anything that can decompose the rubber on it. DO NOT USE OIL.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
2kstreetcivic said:
- 51,xxx miles on it.....
- had the tranny rebuilt for $2100 at 39,xxx miles and now the tranny is falling apart again
For future reference, unmodified Honda engines and transmissions are under warrenty until the 100,000 mile marker. Whether the dealership tells you that or not, just have them bust out a warrenty booklet and read the fine print.
So if any part of your unmodified engine fails before 100,000 miles, they have to repair or replace that part.... and if I remember correctly, it's free.

A lot of my friends with Si's have taken advantage of this, because of the notorious 1st/3rd gear synchros going out in B-series transmissions. One friend of mine has had Honda rebuild his transmission 3 times already... and see, every time the transmission is rebuilt by Honda the warrenty starts over, so it's 100,000 more miles from the point of rebuild.

Intake tubes and exhaust systems do not void the warrenty on the engine, only on the intake and exhaust system. However, intake manifolds will void engine warrenty.
Internal engine work voids the warrenty on the engine... transmissions modifications (Such as added LSD) voids the transmission warrenty.

Just some useful information yall might like to know.