Reliability history of your 6th gen?

soswank

Dentist in the making
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a 98 ex, I bought it from a Korean chick with 47,xxx miles on it. It now has 58,xxx miles on it. I've had it for almost a year now. Car is great, I love it. Here are the problems I'm having/had with it.

1. Passenger's window is slow.
2. Broke the "engine unlock" plastic switch from the driver's side, I was not pulling hard.
3. My car has started giving me less milage, before it did around 28mpg, now its doing around 24mpg. Did fuel clean..but shop said I needed an intake cleaning. I might do that myself.
4. I have been slow on engine oil change... :(...but am now being making a habit of doing it on time.
5. Got into a fender bender...replaced front side (lights, bumper, shock absorber etc), radiator got a crack on top, but working fine for now - need to get it fixed.
6. The chick I boughf from, had an accident (carfax was clean but later found out that it had an accident), so the driver's door is not properly alligned - will get that fixed when I have $$$.

radarblips

WELCOME TO VUVLAR
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
96greencivic said:
where do you dispose of your old anti- freeze?
I pour mine into the city water supply. Just kidding. I bought my 96 hx with around 120,000 miles. No major problems. My hood lever broke off, passenger window used to roll down slow but i fixed that with some silicon spray, and came with a messed up driver side regulator, anybody selling one =)

TorGa3iGhT

"torga eight"
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
98 Civic EX with 63k miles...

so far, i've had an exhaust least on the center resonator, rattling sound from the resonator, broken baffle inside the exhaust tip, REALLY slow passenger window, and right now, either a bad transmission, or a problem with the linkage up to the transmission.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have a 97 ex. bought in september with 119,000 miles for 5 cash. now has 128,000 miles. change the oil every 3 thousand miles. only problems i've had is the input shaft bearing blew up, so i rebuilt the tranny with new clutch and bearings. i had to put a driver side half shaft in. other than that, i've had no problems...oh yea, it needs a front bumper...thanks to the driver who previously owned it :roll:

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
'98 EX SEDAN, 5-SPEED, with 64k on the clock

Just bought it 4,000 miles ago. But I think my Toyota Corolla Wagon with 230k and NO problems original motor and tranny was better!
1.A/C Tentioner Growl TSB (Hard to get to and can't get nut off, need to be done by mechanic)
2.Rear doors very stiff to open and lube will not help.
3. Tranny hard to get into reverse allot of times
4. Gets Brake Fluid dirty faster than any car I have had.

:(

My girls '97 SATURN went for 118k before it had any problems like this!! But at 118k it FELL APART!! :evil:

skinnyjdm

Always bet on black
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Other than a faulty voltage regualtor in my alternator, mine runs great at 106k.

zville00SI

CC's Smart ASS
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Other than, the ocassional hesitation while accelerating........

at 99,000 my 2000 si runs great =)

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ive had a fair amount of problems, the biggest thing was my exhaust manifold cracking at about 65k

civic duty

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99 HX
160,000 miles
Bought the car with 64,000 in 9/01

No major problems;
Bad Primary o2 sensor-effects gas mileage a bit, and a constant CEL
Drivers Side window is f**ked-keeps falling off track, wont seal properly
Replaced the B-pipe and muffler due to rust

oil change every 3000 and I try to keep up with the scheduled maintenance.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh yea, i forgot to mention that my srs light is on

denracho

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i bought my 2000 ex in 2002 w/ 44,xxx now i have 63,XXX. i ones overheating but fixed.. other than that my car runs like a champ..

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
96 DX...bought in 03 with 96xxx...now it has 135xxx
after i bought the car battery was dying out..dealer changed alternator for free..
since then i had no problem until a month ago...

engine check came on with speedometer jumping and eventually the tach..changed the alternator and fuses..
oil leaks a drop or two everyday when i warm up the car in the morning..i think the gasket needs to be replaced..
back shocks are prolly almost gone..

i drive the car everyday..rain..snow..doesn;t matter
change oil 1500-2500 miles with genuine honda oil...tuneup, brake pads all genuine honda..
but thats about it...i love this car and i have no regrets..i take care of it the best i can afford

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have a '98 EX coupe that I bought used (I am the second owner). There were 86,000 miles when I bought the car (I'll check for the date I bought her later). I'm at 118,000 miles now and have been driving her up to 120 miles a day for my job.

I have had no major problems yet. A friend of mine who is a certified Honda technician usually does the maintenance on my car. I detail her like crazy too and mostly take as best care of the car as I can.

My hood cable was replaced and it looks like one of the springs in the latch mechanisim needs to be replaced or probably just adjusted. For now in order to shut the hood I just used a standard screwdriver to push the latch into place, then shut the hood as usual.

My next problem has not caused any trouble besides a funny sound when I go into certain gears. People on this site think it's likely the pilot bearing. A new clutch is not a bad thing though. =)

Fiveover

el futbol une a la gente
5+ Year Member
I have a 97 EX coupe 5 speed that I bought used in May '04. It has 142,000 miles. I have had no problems with since I bought it. The previous owner did regular oil changes every 3K. The CV joints were replaced and the water pump and thermostat were replaced just before I bought it (probably around 130K) The visors need to be replaced, they're worn and faded. The car could use paint and has various door dings. I regularly rev the car past 6000 and have had no problems since I've owned it. I've done a lot of modifications and plan to get it painted soon.

haphazard

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
00 ex...got it new in oct 00, 120,000+ miles on it, beat on every time i get a chance. almost never driven easy, greddy turbo on it for 20,000+ miles at 8psi and still runs great. only had to do reg maintaince on it. one of the best cars made.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
haphazard said:
00 ex...got it new in oct 00, 120,000+ miles on it, beat on every time i get a chance. almost never driven easy, greddy turbo on it for 20,000+ miles at 8psi and still runs great. only had to do reg maintaince on it. one of the best cars made.
on stock internals?

ruff_ridaz99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99 civic EX sedan 5spd..bought it used with 53,XXX..now it is at 62,XXX...change my oil with mobil 1 fully synthetic every 2750-3000 miles...always up to date with the maintance...uses 89-90 octane...wash my car every sunday (not in the winter)..take it to 7,200 ever so often so show the true power of v-tec against those lil' street ricers...

kill list: Mods list:
90 accord AEM SRI
90 VW cabriolet 4-2-1 Headers
89 supra non-turbo Greddy Exhaust
89 civic hatch
91 camry
96 camry
90 celica GTS
99 civic EX coupe
92 civic hatch
94 civic sedan

Team2000

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had a 1999 Ex (canadian) and drove it like it was stolen, and went off the road at 140km/h .. did some significant damage... had it fixed, the car ran fine after that even.. no extra noises or squeeks or things liek that... then I bought a 2000 SiR and it now has 100100kms on it.. and its driven to redline every shift almost, and its also still running good, no issues with ither...

I will add that the windows seem to slip on raining days.. or damp weather...

Last edited: