superhead's super-slow wagovan build

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So, went home for lunch, popped the hood, and there isn't a resistor box. Either the wagons didn't have one, or at some point the injectors were swapped for high impedance ones and the resistor was removed, or it's just hidden really well. Anyway, I tried starting it since it's been fairly cool all morning and it was chilly last night, and it started on the first try. I'm starting to lean towards the dizzy itself being bad.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's alive! I just bit the bullet and replaced the whole dizzy. It fired up first try. Drove it to the store and back with no problems, so it seems I'm good to go.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I didn't mention it, but one of my valve cover bolts was broken off inside the nut. It looks like someone else had noticed because there was a bunch of silicon around the bolt to prevent oil leaking. The little gasket on top of the vc was kinda crusted on so no oil was coming out. Well I took that gasket off to replace it. I'm waiting for the bolt right now. Two days of driving and it's leaked very little oil, so I'm not worried about it.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh yeah. Although it killed me that the parts were like $5 and shipping was $10 T_T

Hendo

Sporting Lunatic Fringe
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I snapped one when I replaced the valve cover, easy fix. Makes a mess though, as you can see. :D

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I went to replace the vc bolt today.

Valve cover off:

Broken bolt:

Getting the bolt out was kind of a pain because I had limited room to turn the wrench. Fortunately it came loose without any trouble.

Old bolt out next to new bolt:

New bolt in:

I get the valve cover all the way back on, and realize I had forgotten to put the ground back on the front right bolt before I put the nut on. I undid the nut, put the ground on, put the nut back on, got it on and tightened it one turn too far, and it broke off... FML

I'm just gonna go ahead and buy and replace the other three bolts and hopefully save myself some headache. I didn't even tighten it that tight. I guess those bolts just get brittle over time or something. Oh well. Fortunately the little gasket is kinda wedged in there good, so it should stay, and not leak any oil. I'm gonna order another one though just in case this one comes off while I'm driving or something. As annoying as it is, I am enjoying the chances I'm getting to work on the car. Plus it always feels good replacing old parts with new ones. Gives you a little more peace of mind about things breaking.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No major updates. My other replacement bolts shipped out today, so hopefully I'll get them before Saturday. I still haven't been able to sell the EK. I lowered the price to $3k and still no bites. There's a transmission on CL for like $200 right now that I could buy and replace mine with, but I really just wanna get rid of it and not put any more money in it. I have to get $2800 to break even on the car alone, and since I've already put about $300 into the wagon, I'm already gonna come out $100 short total. Oh well.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That would probably be the craziest thing I would do. I'm not a fan of tons of stickers and stuffed animals and all that jazz, I just don't much care for a big single tip exhaust on the wagons since there's no bumper cutout to tuck it up into.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Do you see that "special deal" banner at the top right of the screen? I like stuff like that. High flow, low key, good sound. I've never clicked on that banner, I'm just speaking in general.

superhead91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yeah, I don't want anything loud and ricey, but I don't like how low the stock muffler hangs.