Tailgating/Drafting/or simply being green...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It does lower tailpipe emissions...I'll grant you that.

But then when you crash into the car or truck in front of you, your car leaks out all sorts of coolant and oil which leaks into the ground and into the water supply. One quart of oil renders 250,000 gallons of water undrinkable.

And I once got hit in the head by a chunk of truck tire while riding my motorcycle. Fortunately, I was wearing a helmet. I get anxiety attacks when someone else is driving and they follow a truck too closely.

roaddogg3034

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
OFF TO SOME DANGEROUS DRAFTING.......... AT 120MPH, 2feet behind some innocents car.. j/k.

....that just shows how you really lack knowledge on the subject and thus dont care, dont care about ur own kids future and ur own for that matter if u live long enough to see this.....
hows your family going to feel about this when they have to peel you off the road?

hondagriff

Banned

Here's the OP. Now we know how he does it at 120. R2 does the damn driving, f**king astrobot!
Get real OP, this is the real world where anything at anytime can go wrong on the road.

MR99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Be sure to follow the semi trucks really close, that way when the retreaded tire explodes the 80lb hunk of steel belted rubber will com flying through your windshield! :thumbs up

People that tail gate need their ass kicked!

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ok, let me try to explain this again.

The whole saving gas thing is true regadless of what you guys say. Yes I understand that @ 120 I dont save gas but that's something else. Going at 60-80 behind a truck on the hwy (at least on South FL roads) does save gas. Those mithbusters things some of you mentioned; well I watched one in which they used a white SUV on a track and I honestly dont remember the result but c'mmon, on a civic yes WE do save gas. As for the 120 thing at 2ft; ok 2ft maybe I exaggerated a bit but I dont 'usually' do it, it's happened a few times and it was behind someone I knew, on the hwy and not behind some 'innocent' driver out there on a plublic road.... I guess that's what you guys were thinking. But it would be alot easier to say 'f**k you' to most of you but it's more fun keep this going.... Any questions? Oh "how retarded I am?", hummm I'm not retarded, I just have ADD.... get it now.... lol

Damn I just realized this thing's on page 4 already... tomorrow I'll read your jokes... later...

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ok, let me try to explain this again.

The whole saving gas thing is true regadless of what you guys say. Yes I understand that @ 120 I dont save gas but that's something else. Going at 60-80 behind a truck on the hwy (at least on South FL roads) does save gas. Those mithbusters things some of you mentioned; well I watched one in which they used a white SUV on a track and I honestly dont remember the result but c'mmon, on a civic yes WE do save gas. As for the 120 thing at 2ft; ok 2ft maybe I exaggerated a bit but I dont 'usually' do it, it's happened a few times and it was behind someone I knew, on the hwy and not behind some 'innocent' driver out there on a plublic road.... I guess that's what you guys were thinking. But it would be alot easier to say 'f**k you' to most of you but it's more fun keep this going.... Any questions? Oh "how retarded I am?", hummm I'm not retarded, I just have ADD.... get it now.... lol

Damn I just realized this thing's on page 4 already... tomorrow I'll read your jokes... later...
If anything a Civic would see less of an increase by drafting than an SUV would. Before drafting the SUV is like trying to push a brick through sand. The Civic is already much more streamline and is more likely to have a more efficient engine than the SUV has.

Oh, and don't use the, "I have A.D.D." excuse. I have A.D.D. too (months of tests; I really have it). Somehow I manage to form complete sentences despite the flood of thoughts.

greygalaxyghost

5+ Year Member
you sir are just a straight genius. so your trying to say that we should risk our lives over reducing a little fuel consumption and a little money. I for one think that you should keep doing this but when the driver in front of you stomps the brakes in his porsche or mercedes and you slam into him and just total his car maybe youll be thinking a little different and probably will wish that you would quit going cheap for a little fuel consumption and had stayed back a couple more car lengths. But thats just me I'd rather pay for gas more often than having to pay for the repairs of another car plus mine plus my insurance going through the roof. You yourself are "stoopid" (as you repeatedly type thus making you STUPID). You can keep doing this and when that time comes where you slam into the driver I truely hope that you understand why it is illegal and why you shouldnt do it. Have fun with the bill for the other car when you hit one btw

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If anything a Civic would see less of an increase by drafting than an SUV would. Before drafting the SUV is like trying to push a brick through sand. The Civic is already much more streamline and is more likely to have a more efficient engine than the SUV has.

Oh, and don't use the, "I have A.D.D." excuse. I have A.D.D. too (months of tests; I really have it). Somehow I manage to form complete sentences despite the flood of thoughts.

"flood of thoughts" aaaaahhahahahah Someone understands.... It's not an excuse dude. I tried explaining it, that's all. "civic would see less of an increase by..." less of an increase of what? I dont really get what you said but are you trying to say that a civic, with its 'streamilne' design would NOT save gas by drafting behind a big rig? If so, I very much disagree with and I could only prove with the numbers my car does per tank with and without drafting...

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you sir are just a straight genius. so your trying to say that we should risk our lives over reducing a little fuel consumption and a little money. I for one think that you should keep doing this but when the driver in front of you stomps the brakes in his porsche or mercedes and you slam into him and just total his car maybe youll be thinking a little different and probably will wish that you would quit going cheap for a little fuel consumption and had stayed back a couple more car lengths. But thats just me I'd rather pay for gas more often than having to pay for the repairs of another car plus mine plus my insurance going through the roof. You yourself are "stoopid" (as you repeatedly type thus making you STUPID). You can keep doing this and when that time comes where you slam into the driver I truely hope that you understand why it is illegal and why you shouldnt do it. Have fun with the bill for the other car when you hit one btw
Another 'genius'... I never said you 'should' do it, it was a theory. I never even said about saving gas and saving money, I said 'save gas to reduce emissions to help lower greenhouse gasses'. Learn to comprehend what ur reading, STOOooooPID.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
"civic would see less of an increase by..." less of an increase of what? I dont really get what you said but are you trying to say that a civic, with its 'streamilne' design would NOT save gas by drafting behind a big rig? If so, I very much disagree with and I could only prove with the numbers my car does per tank with and without drafting...
You're getting what I said backwards.

A Civic tailgating an eighteen wheeler would not see as much of an increase in fuel economy than an SUV would see under the same circumstances.

The SUV is shaped like a block, while the Civic is more streamlined in shape. So the SUV could use all the help it could get.

What everyone is saying is the reward (better fuel economy) is not worth the risk (damage to the vehicle, loss of the vehicle, injury or death of yourself or others). So it's a bad idea. It's a bad theory.

It's not even a theory really. It's proven that you can get better gas mileage by drafting. But it's still not worth tailgating another vehicle.

dank24

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
80% less wind resistance behind a tractor trailer.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im pretty sure that nobody will want to pay the extra $$ for insurance to save the $$ on gas.

tienr

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i got an idea.....lets route the exhaust pipe back into the intake! no emissions

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Be sure to follow the semi trucks really close, that way when the retreaded tire explodes the 80lb hunk of steel belted rubber will com flying through your windshield! :thumbs up

People that tail gate need their ass kicked!
I wasn't even tailgating. It just shot out , across an empty lane and hit me.

And I once got hit in the head by a chunk of truck tire while riding my motorcycle. Fortunately, I was wearing a helmet. I get anxiety attacks when someone else is driving and they follow a truck too closely.
I'm serious. I get anxiety when I'm too close to a semi trailer. Nothing that I can't overcome but if the truck already has one of the tires blown out and is still driving:shock: or the tires are making that about to explode sound.... f**k, I can't handle that s**t . I have to get away from it.

Having a 40lb chunk of tire hit me at some ungodly speed (fast enough to completely crush the EPS liner in the helmet I was wearing) gave me a phobia. I admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.