Wanna get 300 hp. Suggestions?

Nevyn04

My '99 Civic Si has a Jackson Racing supercharger, hi flow fuel rail, headers, catback exhaust. Bought it already modded so am unsure whether the injecters and fuel pump are upgraded, though with a supercharger you'd think they would be. I wanna push this car up to around 300 hp while still maintaining daily drivability. I was thinking underdrive pulley system, light weight flywheel, stage 2 clutch, and new cams and cam gears. Also wanna increase my PSI. Still running stock internals so was thinking 10-12 PSI. That's reasonable on stock internals of a B16A2 right? Also, any suggestions on cams? Was reading up on them and one article said for supercharged applications I should get cams with less then 30 degrees overlap as well as a longer exhaust duration than intake duration to insure all exhaust is out before pumping in more air and fuel. After these mods where do you think hp would be? And before you ask, having put it on a dyno yet. Within the next month I will and I will post results. Thanks a lot.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Does the previous owner have a dyno sheet? Post up some pics!

Nevyn04

[/IMG]
This is my civic. Below are pictures of the engine bay with a closer view of the supercharger. I believe it is an M45.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Internal work is your next step, as well as a tune. Cams/Cam gears, valvetrain, and a new headgasket. ARP headstuds, compression test the block, and go up a tiny bit more on PSI. Maybe 10 MAX on stock internals. I'm not sure where that would put you (need to see a dyno sheet of your current HP), but those mods should net a decent gain.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Also really depends on what type if air the supercharger can move. Like anything, you can only spin it so fast after that, it wont really do anything. Might be better to just sell it, and go turbo.

Nevyn04

I'm going to work with the supercharger that I have. Would like turbo but don't have deep pockets. Everything of read on JRSC says they boost 5-7 psi. That's not much so can I increase my compression a bit to push my power up? Also, cams, for forced induction applications do you really want a longer exhaust duration than intake with less than 30 degrees overlap? I read that in a forced induction article but all cams I've come across have longer intake. Can anyone confirm that? Once I'm able I'll have the speedshop in town run it on the dyno as well as look at my SC and see if I can upgrade the pulley to squeeze out a couple more psi.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Go turbo a stock b16a2 should hold 3 hun

Sent from tapataalllkk
It's not as simple as "a stock motor can handle this much horsepower". You've gotta take into consideration mileage, engine condition, previous owner's driving habits, maintenance etc. A PRIME b16 might handle 300 hp on stock internals for like, 8 solid runs. Then s**t is going to start going wrong. I do agree that turbo will net more overall power than SC, though.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also really depends on what type if air the supercharger can move. Like anything, you can only spin it so fast after that, it wont really do anything. Might be better to just sell it, and go turbo.
this is what i was wondering. OP you may need to do some research on how much air your SC can flow before you start tuning it for 300 hp. some SC's are only designed to flow so much CFM's based on the balancing, bearings, blades on the scroll, etc.

I'm going to work with the supercharger that I have. Would like turbo but don't have deep pockets. Everything of read on JRSC says they boost 5-7 psi. That's not much so can I increase my compression a bit to push my power up? Also, cams, for forced induction applications do you really want a longer exhaust duration than intake with less than 30 degrees overlap? I read that in a forced induction article but all cams I've come across have longer intake. Can anyone confirm that? Once I'm able I'll have the speedshop in town run it on the dyno as well as look at my SC and see if I can upgrade the pulley to squeeze out a couple more psi.
i would not suggest increasing compression on a forced induction application, unless your tuner knows what he is doing or if you only intend to increase it at the slightest bit. what compression are you running now? stock?
one way to squeeze out some more psi would be to change out to a smaller diameter pulley. but there is a threshold. of course the smaller diameter you go, the faster the supercharger will spin, but if the design can only push out xx CFM's then the performance will drop off. so you will need to find out what diameter will give you best perfomance. again, you need to do some research on your particular model, perhaps call up jackson racing and pick their brain a bit.

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
It's not as simple as "a stock motor can handle this much horsepower". You've gotta take into consideration mileage, engine condition, previous owner's driving habits, maintenance etc. A PRIME b16 might handle 300 hp on stock internals for like, 8 solid runs. Then s**t is going to start going wrong. I do agree that turbo will net more overall power than SC, though.
Yeah im just saying going turbo and at 275 it would be decently reliable my buddy has a stock gsr at 314 and he has been running the same setup for 3 years racing

Sent from tapataalllkk

Trekk

Registered VIP
That thing prolly makes, maybe 180-190WHP as is if it hasnt been upgraded, with upgrades and a tune, pushed, you might hit 230ish WHP. I think that thing is just too small to flow enough air for 300whp, and it will make a ton of heat once you overdrive it. That is why I suggested, selling it, and buying a turbo.

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
Yup there are alot of people that like the superchargers it would be a fast sell

Sent from tapataalllkk

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To me it doesn't make a lot of sense to state a horsepower goal when you don't know what you're currently making.

Nevyn04

To me it doesn't make a lot of sense to state a horsepower goal when you don't know what you're currently making.
True. But I know I'm not making 300. And hopefully if my situation permits I'll hit the dyno soon and find out where I'm at right now.

I'll look into the CFM of my SC. I believe I'm still running stock compression, I think 10:1.

Trekk

Registered VIP
Yeah but what he is saying is why are you picking 300? What are your goals? Or does 300 just sound like a fast number. Speed is a hell of a lot more involved than just HP.

Nevyn04

I would like to build it up as much as I can while maintaining daily drivability. Searching around it seems that 300 hp is good number to do that with. I'm not dead set on that number. If I could squeeze out 280 with a few additions to my current setup then I'll take it. Is that not a realistic goal?

I know speed is not all hp, I've looked at underdrive pulleys, lightweight flywheels, stage 2 racing clutches, and close gear kits as well. All of which will increase my acceleration right?

And I appreciate all the replies. You guys have been very informative. :-)

Just a honda!!

Registered VIP
B16 tranny is already short geared what would help u once u get to 300 is an lsd

Sent from tapataalllkk