96 Civic DX Sedan Build - PHAHEEM

PHAHEEM

Applied Dynamat Today...

Thanks man I'll look into that! I've been looking for a place that does quality e-brake boots
I got through the left side of my car today - the front and rear doors. Applied Dynamat to the inside of the Outer Skin of the door and what was left of each sheet onto the Inner Skin. I followed the Sound Deadener Showdown examples as best I could.

Once I completed the left side, I took the car for a 20 mile drive. All 4 of my doors have the door panels removed, but only the left side has the Dynamat applied. I wanted to see if I could notice a difference...

I drove both in stop/go traffic and on the freeway.

Either my mind is playing tricks on me, or Dynamat truly is effective. I noticed a considerable difference in the amount of noise coming from the left side of the car vs. the right side. Keep in mind that I've been driving with my door panels off for about a week now (because I changed my door panel inserts).

I'm looking forward to completing the right side, then installing my door panels with the 1" high-density foam I installed on it. I'll keep you guys updated!

On to the pics...

Let them sit in the sun for a few minutes to they soften up:

Doors exposed - this is how I've been driving around the past week while working on my door panel inserts, waiting on my door lock actuators to arrive, and installing the dynamat:

Following the Sound Deadener Showdown examples:

And here's how I applied the remaining Dynamat from each sheet onto the inner skin:

Based on the package I bought, each sheet of Dynamat Extreme was more than enough for one door. Following the examples in Sound Deadener Showdown allows more efficient, effective, and practical use of it.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Looking good. You'll be surprised how much quieter your car will be with the door panels back on. If its still not quiet enough for you I suggest doing your floor pan n inner firewall.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

PHAHEEM

Looking good. You'll be surprised how much quieter your car will be with the door panels back on. If its still not quiet enough for you I suggest doing your floor pan n inner firewall.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, thanks. I'm looking forward to the quieter cabin.

My original plan was to lay the dynamat on the floor first, then the doors. But it was just more convenient to do the doors now and the floor later. But I'm planning to do the floor within the next couple months.

PHAHEEM

Experimented with Plasti-Dip today...

In an effort to further my black/gray interior scheme, I experimented with Plasti-Dip today and created some two-tone interior bits, and also painted some parts straight black.

I'm impressed with Plasti-Dip's results- the texture of the painted pieces feel soft and almost rubbery, very close to OEM.

Steering column cover:

Passenger AC vent:

Window crank:

gnos402

The plug on the window crank would look good black. Just my opinion!!! go with the one you like better I know you said you were kind of trying different things to see what looks best, so thought Id throw that in there for a test.

PHAHEEM

Pulled my carpet out tonight to get a head start on laying the dynamat to my floor tomorrow, then adding Dynaliner on Wednesday, then sealing it all up with Mass Loaded Vinyl next week (gotta wait for everything to be delivered).

Having the carpet out also gave me the opportunity to run my power-door-lock-kit's wires under the carpet for a cleaner and seamless install.

Hopefully I can find a place to steam clean my carpet while I have it out. This also gives me the chance to wash and degrease all the plastic panels in my car of the 13 years of accumulated gunk.

Really looking forward to completing this sound deadening project...mostly I'm really hoping it all works and I get the results I'm shooting for. Lol I haven't even had the chance to re-install my door panels to see how well my new door panel inserts look.

Here we go...

PHAHEEM

I took advantage of having my entire carpet out - so I had it professionally steam cleaned.

Carpet before:

This guy does honest, reliable and good quality work for very reasonable prices. He services all of Southern California. Let him know Joaquin sent you.

I'll post some after shots as soon as the carpet dries completely

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Coming along nicely! I hope it works out for ya!

PHAHEEM

Dynamatted the Rear Shelf...

Dynamatted the rear shelf today, in preparation for a new pair of 6x9's to replace the OEM ones.

Before:

After:

Under the shelf, in the trunk area:

Th Dynaliner came in today, so that's going in tomorrow.

PHAHEEM

Yeah, so, f**k Dynaliner.

I spent $50 for 32" x 54" (2.66 ft x 4.5 ft) of what's essentially 1/8" foam. (Click here to see what NOT to buy). I didn't realize I'd get so little - the entire roll barely covers the floor on just the passenger's side. Meaning it would cost me at least $100 to cover the floor only, not including the doors.

So what did I do? Went to homedepot.com and found this:

Owens Corning Foamular 1/2 in. x 48 in. x 96 in. Squared Edge Insulating Sheathing

That's 4 feet x 8 feet of closed cell foam for $14! And since it doesn't have an adhesive backing, I'll spend an extra $5 for some spray-on adhesive. Total: $20 for nearly twice what I got in the Dynaliner roll.

This time, yes, you're buying just the Dynamat brand name. Sending the Dynaliner back for a full refund; running to Home Depot in the morning to buy the other stuff. That will be plenty to do my floor, doors, rear shelf and probably the ceiling too.

Lesson learned: Caveat Emptor - buyer beware.

emerican

Registered VIP
i thought we all warned you that it is really expensive?
and it did give you the measurements when you bought it im sure

PHAHEEM

i thought we all warned you that it is really expensive?
and it did give you the measurements when you bought it im sure
Yeah I knew it was expensive, and yeah I saw the measurements, but I didn't realize it was so little. Regardless, I was able to find closed cell foam at the fabric store, to which I used to line my floor on top of the Dynamat...

PHAHEEM

Some early bday presents from the wifey arrived today...

New rear speakers:

Brand new OEM floor mats (had to get a set before they sold out forever):

What I'm most excited about is the door lock actuators I installed - finally have keyless entry.

gnos402

Looking great keep it up I finally got my new camera in the mail and took some pics posted a couple and will post a couple more later check it out. It is all stock BTW and cant wait to see more progress

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ugh sony speakers suck...

Progress is looking good though!