99-00 bumper on 97 Civic Hx

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea i have the 2k radiator support on my coupe and you can see my 96-98 front doesn't fit right anymore. I only got rid of my 2k front end mainly cause at the time I was in a really bad pinch for money to pay bills that was piling up on me.
Personally, it sounds pretty f**ked up to offer advice to do it wrong, especially when you know first hand it won't fit properly. If it seems overwhelming or not worth the effort after explaining the proper way to do it, then that's up to the OP to decide. Proper info will also give newer people a better respect for those who completed the conversion properly.

So don't do the front end conversion kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's up to you to decide, just know that you need more than just those parts outlined in their "conversion kit" to do it properly. It's your choice to do it right, not try to make it look as good as you can through shortcuts. Nobody here can tell you how to mod your car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthony9920

Can you tell me what I need so it looks good not looking for short cuts looking for that right look! Thanks guys

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The only other thing it's missing in that kit, is the core support. The issue you'll have to deal with, is removing the stock spot welded core support on your car and welding in the new core support. Since that's not a simple task for the average person, it's left out of that kit and some people choose to just try their best to make it look like it all fits properly, even though it doesn't.

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
The only other thing it's missing in that kit, is the core support. The issue you'll have to deal with, is removing the stock spot welded core support on your car and welding in the new core support. Since that's not a simple task for the average person, it's left out of that kit and some people choose to just try their best to make it look like it all fits properly, even though it doesn't.
I agree that without swapping the core support it's not the proper way and a hack solution. It's been a while since I've read any info regarding the front end swap but I think it's the crash bar and the two tabs next to the grille that cause the most complication right? It can be done without swapping the core support but it's difficult to get perfect and anyone w a trained eye can spot it easily. Mine was done by the previous owner and isn't terrible but the unevenness off the gaps around the headlights get on my nerves. I just have an affinity towards the prefacelift front as it is so I'm biased anyway

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
well op asked if he can put the 99-00 front on his civic and answer is he can. but like I said before your last 2 post to the op he'll need the the radiator support for it to fit right. Here is a pic of my friend car he his civic is same yr as my 97 but he has the 2k front end with the stock 96-98 core support. other pic I i took from his Instagram since i can't seem to find all the other pics of his front

Attachments

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah the OP asked if he can, and the answer is he can....it's still pretty kind of messed up and shitty of a "civic community" to not offer complete information regarding doing it properly. Seriously, don't try to justify it towards me with photos of a car that doesn't even use legitimate parts on it and also has gap issues with their front end as well.

It's sad as f**k when people try to justify a reason to improperly do things. Any modification "can be" done poorly, but what good is it to promote bad execution? (I have a feeling this question will get ignored)

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
yeah the OP asked if he can, and the answer is he can....it's still pretty kind of messed up and shitty of a "civic community" to not offer complete information regarding doing it properly. Seriously, don't try to justify it towards me with photos of a car that doesn't even use legitimate parts on it and also has gap issues with their front end as well.

It's sad as f**k when people try to justify a reason to improperly do things. Any modification "can be" done poorly, but what good is it to promote bad execution? (I have a feeling this question will get ignored)
The only reason for anyone to promote poor execution and cutting corners would be to justify themselves doing so. If one doesn't have the resources to do something properly then don't even attempt. If one doesn't have the diligence to do everything in their power to do a task correctly, then don't even attempt to modify a car at all. The lack of care when "modifying" these cars is the reason there's so many hack job s**t boxes rolling around that look like trash and give hondas a bad reputation. Not to mention that half assing a task could be incredibly unsafe

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can you tell me what I need so it looks good not looking for short cuts looking for that right look! Thanks guys
Dude, RESEARCH and the answer would be clear because its been asked and done before. You also have multiple people telling you exactly why it would fit incorrectly and poorly and only one person saying you could get away with it with a gap, which is clearly wrong. You even ask where to find the kits or bumpers instead of researching first.

Blindly listening to advice with no research will lead you to poor decisions. Youve been told in detail why this wont work. Research it to confirm and this is a dead subject.

I agree with all the logical responses. Do anything correctly or dont do it at all, but ALWAYS research for yourself. You have the benefit of owning a car that every single cosmetic idea imaginable has been covered to death so start using those resources to your advantage. If you cant do so with such an easy topic as this then you are on the path of ruining your Civic like countless others. Make the choice of either being a respectable Civic owner or another joke.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
No you can't just swap the bumpers...the bumper won't fit at the hood correctly, your 96-98 grill won't fit on the 99-00 bumper, the bumper won't fit around the headlights properly. Even the core support on the 99-00 is actually different than a 96-98.

Here's a cheapest route write-up for converting it.
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/how-to-96-98-to-99-00-exterior-conversion.59851/
This is where this thread should end, lol. This is the best, complete route to go.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP

???? lmao I gave him the answer, what he needs and a fair warning on how it would come out if did do a short cut. pictures are prime example and would give him a far better idea on it. so my post are a justification to NOT do the short cuts and not to justify doing short cuts... idk how in the world you got that idea from when i'm was the one who said the gaps would be off in the first place....

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just buy a Canadian Sir front and rear bumper and some 96-98 ctr headlights to have a clean 96-98 front end