ECU swap myths?

NeedsMoreLow

Hi everyone. When I bought my 99 LX, it had a Y8 ECU in it. (I originally thought it was a Z6. I was wrong.) the previous owner also gave me three other ECU's. I believe one is the stock Y7 ECU. I plugged in the one I thought was it, and the car wouldn't turn over.
Afterwards, I remembered hearing a rumor that if your doors are open (mine were) after you swap an ECU, the car won't start, and it locks the ECU. Is that true or false?

Not sent from my iPhone using tapatalk.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
So what's up with the ECU? Just not working?

Its entirely possible, test it in another vehicle if you can.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
could be a bad ecu yea i would try it in another car to see if its just your car or the ecu

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
also there is a possibliity that the obd2b ecu might have transmitter chip on the ecu board which programed to one key 2001 and up are also obd2b and all have those transponder chips on the board in the old days people just de solder/remove the chip off the board

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why not just put the other ECU that was in the car when you bought it, and try it again?

NeedsMoreLow

Why not just put the other ECU that was in the car when you bought it, and try it again?
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. But it's a Y8 ECU, so it tries to hit Vtec at 5k RPM, but the Y7 doesn't have Vtec. So essentially I can't take it over 5k RPM. Which isn't ideal.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. But it's a Y8 ECU, so it tries to hit Vtec at 5k RPM, but the Y7 doesn't have Vtec. So essentially I can't take it over 5k RPM. Which isn't ideal.

you can jsut get a obd2b to obd2a conversion hanress and use y7 ecu from 96-98 civic that should work

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
his car is non vtec and he bought it with the vtec ecu plugged in
I realize and understand all of that.
Again, lack of info from the author, they never mentioned if the car ran at all really nor do they ID the other ecu's and I'm wondering why the y8 ecu was in the car to begin with.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Again, lack of info from the author, they never mentioned if the car ran at all really nor do they ID the other ecu's and I'm wondering why the y8 ecu was in the car to begin with.
thats a good question only thing i can think of if the car once had a y8 motor put in or had a vtec head put on during its previous life. the op did mention the seller gave him 3 other ecus... which i think is a good indication that the car might have/had a swap at one point .

NeedsMoreLow

The Y8 was in there in preparation for a mini-me swap. My question was simply if the myth was true or not, so that info wasn't necessary. Past the answer to that question, I don't really need anything else. Thanks though!!!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Out of curiosity, where did you hear this myth from? I've never even heard of it. If I google it, I end up finding this thread, lol.

NeedsMoreLow

Out of curiosity, where did you hear this myth from? I've never even heard of it. If I google it, I end up finding this thread, lol.
I guess local car guys. It might've been one of those things where one guy just randomly thought of it and everyone else agreed, so they wouldn't look dumb if he was right.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
OH YOU f**king DID NOT!!!! IM REPORTING YOU AND THIS THREAD MISTER!