ECU swap myths?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
That's incredibly pointless. I could just buy a 99 Y7 ECU, lol.

Not sent from my iPhone using tapatalk.
well in case if you haven't realized it 99 and up civic are obd2b and obd2b has immobilizer chip installed on the ecu board from factory so you would need the key its programed to use that ecu

NeedsMoreLow

well in case if you haven't realized it 99 and up civic are obd2b and obd2b has immobilizer chip installed on the ecu board from factory so you would need the key its programed to use that ecu
I have an Obd2b to Obd2a conversion harness. It's not currently installed. So I should be okay doing a straight swap back to a stock Y7. Thanks mom.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I have an Obd2b to Obd2a conversion harness. It's not currently installed. So I should be okay doing a straight swap back to a stock Y7. Thanks mom.

yes that will work but i suggest using the obd2b to obd2a harness and the stock obd2a y7 ecu from 96-98 civic those ecus doesn't have immobilizer so its basically a plug and play

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My question was simply if the myth was true or not, so that info wasn't necessary.
Anyone with any sort of reasoning or common sense could basically dismiss that as a rumor, a poor one at that.
Face value, it doesn't even make any sense.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well shoot!! I wish I had any sort of reasoning or common sense. Dammit..
Yea too bad....
But really, with a little search this rumor could have been squashed.
These cars at that time were not equipped like that, no where near sophisticated enough to have anything like that.

NeedsMoreLow

Yea too bad....
But really, with a little search this rumor could have been squashed.
These cars at that time were not equipped like that, no where near sophisticated enough to have anything like that.
Another screw up by me. I forgot to mention in my original post that my Civic is from the future... Yeah. In 2036-37 they bring back the sixth gen body style for a while.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
We get it, you're funny.....:roll:
Divert away with attempting to be funny because people flat out don't think.

Last edited:

NeedsMoreLow

We get it, you're funny.....:roll:
Divert away with attempting to be funny because people flat out don't think.
I appreciate you editing this from your original post.
However, I would like to think I'm not flat out stupid. I am, unfortunately, a little less mechanically inclined than others seem to be on this forum.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I appreciate you editing this from your original post.
However, I would like to think I'm not flat out stupid. I am, unfortunately, a little less mechanically inclined than others seem to be on this forum.
My original statement was a bit harsh, but the same sentiment rings true.
It seems crazy, but in 2016, with the ease of finding info and the amount of it, everyone seems to turn stupid and forgets how to search, or use key words to actually research. Makes me wonder how we got this far when information was not as readily available.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
This is not true, Honda didn't start doing this until 2001, and only on some models.

OBD2B has nothing to do with immobilizers, it's simply a change in emission and diagnostic standards.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
This is not true, Honda didn't start doing this until 2001, and only on some models.

OBD2B has nothing to do with immobilizers, it's simply a change in emission and diagnostic standards.
actually no..immobilizer keeps that ecu from being use in a different car....you can use the ecu if you remove it its been done that way long ago as far back i can remember doesn't do anything with emission and ecu tune file

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
this is how it was done when K swap was first started FYI back then k pro wasn't around and you can't chip obd2 ecu either its why people convert to obd1 and use obd1 ecu for swaps like these there is a reason why these things exist and why most of the poeple do it this way other wise poeple would be doing this completely different

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
actually no..immobilizer keeps that ecu from being use in a different car....you can use the ecu if you remove it its been done that way long ago as far back i can remember doesn't do anything with emission and ecu tune file
Yes it's tied to the key, but Honda did not start putting them in their cars until 2001. You are missing the details in my message.

And YES, OBD is tied to emissions and diagnostic standards. NOT immobilizers. Yes you can swap the ECU to a different year model as long as you have the harness to convert to fit that OBD(X) hardness.

They changed diagnostic standards when emissions regulations changed. Thus OBD0, OBD1, OBD2A, OBD2B/CANBUS standards. PLEASE research it more before quoting people as being incorrect. ;)

Also I had to look back at Preludes as they did have immobilizers on the 97-01 models. This was not an issue for Civics or Integras until 2001.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Yes it's tied to the key, but Honda did not start putting them in their cars until 2001. You are missing the details in my message.

And YES, OBD is tied to emissions and diagnostic standards. NOT immobilizers. Yes you can swap the ECU to a different year model as long as you have the harness to convert to fit that OBD(X) hardness.

They changed diagnostic standards when emissions regulations changed. Thus OBD0, OBD1, OBD2A, OBD2B/CANBUS standards. PLEASE research it more before quoting people as being incorrect. ;)

Also I had to look back at Preludes as they did have immobilizers on the 97-01 models. This was not an issue for Civics or Integras until 2001.
there is a good chance it was already been implemented on the late 2000 models usually car manufactures have new stuff in the late late model of the previous yr to them actually start doing it in major mass quantity on teh next yr model

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
this is how it was done when K swap was first started FYI back then k pro wasn't around and you can't chip obd2 ecu either its why people convert to obd1 and use obd1 ecu for swaps like these there is a reason why these things exist and why most of the people do it this way other wise people would be doing this completely different
This is ALSO incorrect. You can chip OBD2, however the main IC processors are expensive and its a PITD to resolder 100+ pins. It is uncommon in the fact that its expensive. I have not attempted to do it simply because I had no interest or demand to do it when I had my own shop in the mid 2000s'.

Here is an article from SuperHonda, damn shame imageshack stopped hosting the images. http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f99/how-chip-obd2-ecu-337498/
This article was a b***h to find, looks like the forum archived it and some information is missing. Point is that its not impossible. http://web.archive.org/web/20030516031044/http://pgmfi.crx-forum.org/resources/FAQ/obd2.html
http://www.pgmfi.org/ had a lot of great articles on this years ago. I haven't been there in several years so I don't know when they went down. No telling how long its been since they put that "We'll be back soon" page up.

Also having immobilizers removed is not uncommon anymore, Xenocron has been doing it for sometime now. I don't know how reliable it is as I have never required their services.

Last edited by a moderator:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
@Diana Nam I know you are trying and I respect that. But we have to ensure we are not giving out bad information ;) Just want you to know I'm not trying to fight with you. It just drives me insane when I see misinformation.

Plus I work from home and I browse/troll these threads because I have s**t else to do.