racing techniques

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Eran said:
Because in a FWD car, you induce understeer after the apex to carry you through the corner. It's not necessary, but it's effective and fun. Traction is not always necessary.
??? I'm still not understanding the concept behind this. Understeer after an apex to carry the car?? LInk, information?

rexxxgirl

i want a new hatch!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
she would try to go up this hill, let the clutch out like maybe a quarter of the way, and have the gas pressed almost to the floor. Felt like b***h slapping her
s**t that's rough. lol. yeaI try not to let people drive my car until I see them drive theirs. also, it's a trade. lol. if someone drives my car, they better be lettin me drive theirs.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SiGSR said:
??? I'm still not understanding the concept behind this. Understeer after an apex to carry the car?? LInk, information?
Link? Information?

How about practice?

I haven't learned a single thing about how to drive from the internet.

Here's a diagram I made, not exact or to spec, but it's an ok explanation .... it's not understeer in any great degree, nor do you slide for long, but it's basically just a technique to slide to the outside of a corner. Like I said, dirty trick.

racing_kid

take that sucka!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Eran said:
Link? Information?

How about practice?

Here's a diagram I made, not exact or to spec, but it's an ok explanation .... it's not understeer in any great degree, nor do you slide for long, but it's basically just a technique to slide to the outside of a corner. Like I said, dirty trick.
ok i get you....i'll have to try that soon. In my civic of course ;)

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Eran said:
Link? Information?

How about practice?

Except for positioning yourself, that is quite pointless then. Sliding like that, slows you down, scrubbing off speed only. You wouldn't have to use such a technique if you set yourself up enter the apex and exit at certain point at the apex. I'm guessing this would be a drift technique? it's for the show eh.

You can practice all you want, but it's physics that limit what you can and can't do. By learning about the different physics behind each technique you at least understand what's going on and prepare for.

racing_kid

take that sucka!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
SiGSR said:
Except for positioning yourself, that is quite pointless then. Sliding like that, slows you down, scrubbing off speed only. You wouldn't have to use such a technique if you set yourself up enter the apex and exit at certain point at the apex. I'm guessing this would be a drift technique? it's for the show eh.
true .
i think thats why he said it more of a technic to slide, to have fun.

Like i said before. if you want to go through a corner in a ff with speed use the left foot brake technic ;)

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I love people that pretend to be retarded just to "catch" people in their mistakes. :rolf:

It's a positioning technique, and it also helps sharpen your abilities. I learned to control my understeer a long time ago so that in a potentially dangerous situation, I can move my car where it needs to be, and also control what is hapening to my vehicle. I don't know a lot of people that have practiced sliding out just to know what to do if it happens in real life. It's still faster than full breaking, and less taxing than left foot breaking.

Like I said, three times now:

It's a dirty trick.

racing_kid

take that sucka!!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Eran said:
I love people that pretend to be retarded just to "catch" people in their mistakes. :rolf:

It's a dirty trick.
ahahahah!!!... :laugh:
thats a dirty trick too :lol:

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
renegadex96 said:
I can deal with stalilng the car a few times, that's no biggie. Happens to everyone learning. BUt man this chick would ride the clutch so bad. I'd be telling her, yo let it out, not so much gas...but you just hear it spinning and cooking away. I've had my car smoking before from the brakes and s**t, but never have i seen it smoke from the clutch..first time for everything. When i got it changed, holy s**t, you should've seen it....burnt!!

she would try to go up this hill, let the clutch out like maybe a quarter of the way, and have the gas pressed almost to the floor. Felt like b***h slapping her
i fried a new clutch in under 5 seconds. i was racin in virginia beach. it was wet out and i was at a light. i had a good start. all the way through first no problem. 6500 shift. then all the way through second no problem 6500 shift..doin about 50. then.....back to first. the needle went alll the way over and back to zero. then i had no movement. no clutch at all. i had to adjust it all the way out. then i had to limp it 6 hours back home. it was grinding and slippin all the way! new clutch 165 bux. i pulled it out. and there was no material left on the disc at all. it was pure metal.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^ that's f**kin rowdy :lol:

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I sacred the s**t out of my roomie today on rainy roads by consistantly slipping the rear end around.

Just a little dab on the breaks is enough to shift the weight forward and bring the tail around a little. Reapply the gas and you can carry it. It's not a drift it's just better than understeering around corners. This may be a DC5 thing though, the things pretty damn neutral at the limits.

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Have to give that one a try next time i'm flying around the traffic circle

SiGSR

yeaaaay.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Eran said:

It's a positioning technique, and it also helps sharpen your abilities. I learned to control my understeer a long time ago so that in a potentially dangerous situation, I can move my car where it needs to be, and also control what is hapening to my vehicle. I don't know a lot of people that have practiced sliding out just to know what to do if it happens in real life. It's still faster than full breaking, and less taxing than left foot breaking.

Like I said, three times now:

It's a dirty trick.
I take everyone's comments for the benefit of a doubt. I really didn't understood the technique and just wanted to see what exactly was behind it. And obviously, it's not quite practical in real racing situations.

Dirty trick? Useless in my book, but whatever floats each ones boat.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Two step, playing around with feathering the clutch but I tend to just launch at a certain RPM. Slicks have been worn for a while though, I will prob try the feathering more until I get a new set of tires.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
LowNotSlow said:
I sacred the s**t out of my roomie today on rainy roads by consistantly slipping the rear end around.

Just a little dab on the breaks is enough to shift the weight forward and bring the tail around a little. Reapply the gas and you can carry it. It's not a drift it's just better than understeering around corners. This may be a DC5 thing though, the things pretty damn neutral at the limits.
Probably has quite a bit to do with the Mac suspension. That car is set up like a RWD car .... except minus the rear dif :lol: