Not open for further replies.

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Steve Jobs revolutionized the both the printing and advertising industries by bringing digital type to the computer.
Digital type had been on the computer for 6 years before Apple brought out TrueType. Hell, Apple's first laser printer used PostScript Type 1 fonts. All TrueType did was make a different standard, and made a font into a single file, instead of like PostScript Type 1, which has multiple files (Usually one for the printer and one for the screen.)

Most advertising companies at the time used PsotScript because making a TrueType font was pretty challenging.

The only reason TrueType became such a popular format was because Microsoft implemented it into Windows 3.1. With Mac's 10% market share in 1991, without Microsoft implementing it, TrueType probably would've never worked.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Digital type had been on the computer for 6 years before Apple brought out TrueType. Hell, Apple's first laser printer used PostScript Type 1 fonts. All TrueType did was make a different standard, and made a font into a single file, instead of like PostScript Type 1, which has multiple files (Usually one for the printer and one for the screen.)

Most advertising companies at the time used PsotScript because making a TrueType font was pretty challenging.

The only reason TrueType became such a popular format was because Microsoft implemented it into Windows 3.1. With Mac's 10% market share in 1991, without Microsoft implementing it, TrueType probably would've never worked.
Good try but that's not at all what I was referring to. ;) Apple was the first to make an effort to having good typography on the computer. They didn't invent fonts, just the first to care about them.

I'm done with this thread btw, you guys are entitled to your opinions but I'm not going to waste any more time on this. The reasons that I respect and appreciate Steve Jobs and Apple are things that you guys don't seem to care about and the reasons you guys don't like him are things I don't seem to care about.

Also OpenType > TrueType

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This. I simply do NOT see the connection between inventing cool electronics, and being a "great American".

And this. Henry Ford not only made the automobile affordable for the average Joe, he revolutionized the way things are produced.
This is what Apple and Steve did for the computer industry. Before Apple people didn't think of computer as affordable or usable machines. Steve shaped the way modern people live life. If you own a android handset you should be thanking steve and the people at apple. Smart phones were garbage before the iPhone showed companies how to make a great phones. Steve was an agent of change. Steve is the reason why you can buy 99 cent songs instead of purchasing a 20$ album. Steve was an insertion to so many. Guys like mark zuckerburg, eric schmidt and so many others. Money wasn't important to steve either. We can quote him, “I was worth over $1,000,000 when I was 23, and over $10,000,000 when I was 24, and over $100,000,000 when I was 25, and it wasn’t that important because I never did it for the money.”

“My job is not to be easy on people. My jobs is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even better.”

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If he never did it for the money, why did he never give to charity, or leave any of his money to charity?

I don't ever remember albums being $20. I have a few from when I was a teenager, and the sticker on them are $15.99.

Push them to make them better? By throwing tantrums, and stroking his ego?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Steve is the reason why you can buy 99 cent songs instead of purchasing a 20$ album.
Well thank God that we had Steve around, and that he was smart enough to start selling individual songs rather than the whole album :roll:

Just like Jason said, if he didn't do it for the money.....than why didn't he use the money to try and help other people? You know.....kind of like Mister Gates does.

JiuJitsu_greg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How else could we tell that he wasn't worried about the money? How about the fact that he didn't live in a multi-million dollar home or have 20 cars. How about the fact that he did donate he just didn't ever make it public knowledge. Steve was a busy guy he freaking wore one outfit for the last half of his life. The man didn't do it for the money. He did everything he did to try and change peoples lives for the better. You can do that many ways. You can donate a giant amount of money or you can affect people. He chose to affect people. You two can try and talk him and apple down all that you want but you are both delusional.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Honestly I think you are in man love and delusional

RonJ

Banned
How else could we tell that he wasn't worried about the money? How about the fact that he didn't live in a multi-million dollar home or have 20 cars. How about the fact that he did donate he just didn't ever make it public knowledge. Steve was a busy guy he freaking wore one outfit for the last half of his life. The man didn't do it for the money. He did everything he did to try and change peoples lives for the better. You can do that many ways. You can donate a giant amount of money or you can affect people. He chose to affect people. You two can try and talk him and apple down all that you want but you are both delusional.
Everyone is allowed their opinion, but don't confuse this thread with any type of real debate. It serves absolutely no purpose attempting to support your viewpoint in this thread as everyone on either side has made up their mind and won't budge an inch from that position.

It really boils down to the difference between people who have positive outlooks and concentrate on the good that others do versus pathologically cynical people who gain sick enjoyment out of insulting great contributors that receive recognition for their accomplishments. These trolls, by definition, will never acknowledge the enormous impact that Steve had on our world, even at the time of his death and even when confronted with overwhelming evidence otherwise.

It's also ironic that moderators have complained about the (deleted) personal attacks posted in this thread. However, with just a tiny bit of foresight, these problems could easily have been both predicted (see troll posts seeking only to belittle a dead man who contributed so much to our technological world) and circumvented (deletion of troll posts or thread closure).

And to all trolls in this thread - Continue on with your sorry lives where your only joy comes from diminishing the accomplishments of others because it makes you feel better about your loser lives.

/thread

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
He did everything he did to try and change peoples lives for the better......You two can try and talk him and apple down all that you want but you are both delusional.
And I refuse to believe that the iPhone made our everyday lives "better". The stuff he invented was COOL. That doesn't make him as good person, nor does it mean he was useful to society.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Everyone is allowed their opinion, but don't confuse this thread with any type of real debate. It serves absolutely no purpose attempting to support your viewpoint in this thread as everyone on either side has made up their mind and won't budge an inch from that position.

It really boils down to the difference between people who have positive outlooks and concentrate on the good that others do versus pathologically cynical people who gain sick enjoyment out of insulting great contributors that receive recognition for their accomplishments. These trolls, by definition, will never acknowledge the enormous impact that Steve had on our world, even at the time of his death and even when confronted with overwhelming evidence otherwise.

It's also ironic that moderators have complained about the (deleted) personal attacks posted in this thread. However, with just a tiny bit of foresight, these problems could easily have been both predicted (see troll posts seeking only to belittle a dead man who contributed so much to our technological world) and circumvented (deletion of troll posts or thread closure).

And to all trolls in this thread - Continue on with your sorry lives where your only joy comes from diminishing the accomplishments of others because it makes you feel better about your loser lives.

/thread
you mad cause we dont give you hugs and pet your ego like they do on honda tech? sorry man nothing you say is gonna make me care anymore about this guy.

RonJ

Banned
you mad cause we dont give you hugs and pet your ego like they do on honda tech? sorry man nothing you say is gonna make me care anymore about this guy.
As usual, your small mind misses the point. This thread is about the world-changing impact of Steve Jobs not me. And I don't need anyone here or at Honda-tech to tell me how good I am at what I do.
But what good do you do here? All I see are your mindless posts.

And I couldn't care less about what trolls say or think. I'm just standing up for a dead man who can no longer speak for himself but has done a great many things that positively impact the lives of others.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This thread isn't going anywhere and the petty jabs are not helping. Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.