Daily Grind- coupelife

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No kidding! I wish my bay's paint was in that good of shape, its faded so bad and dull, I just wipe everything inside the bay down with a rag and f21 turtle wax tire shine, since it dries with a flat finish. Dirt just rinses off.

SiR.Huey

Looks good man
Appreciate it man!

No kidding! I wish my bay's paint was in that good of shape, its faded so bad and dull, I just wipe everything inside the bay down with a rag and f21 turtle wax tire shine, since it dries with a flat finish. Dirt just rinses off.
Thanks bro. I used Turtle wax, but I also wipe the bay down here and there cause it blows not having wheel wells. Rocks and sand are more of a problem than dirt. There are always imperfections that I wish I could fix right now..:x

Nice work, super clean car.

Tapatalk'n from my Desire HD
Thanks man!

aeraiva

Dedicated Civic Owner
Gotta love a nice clean bay ^^ As an auto detailer, I can do that stuff day-in and day-out and not get tired!

Sticking in for the ride on this one and subscribed. Looking forward to following you on the build =)

SiR.Huey

July 2012:
How bout some rims! Searched and searched for a decent pair/my first set of rims. Tried to buy three pairs of rims from different online vendors, evasive motorsports being one, and got returned my money cause the rims on their sight were no longer in stock. This led me to the preorder game for the xxr 531's. They grew on me and I think they were a great choice for the style and stance I wanted.

15x8 et 0 with toyo proxies T1R 195/45. and muteki neo-chrome close ended lugs.

test fit:

Now.. I wish I could have gotten higher end rims but I do not have a permanent garage to keep my car fully safe in my area. Which led to this purchase.:D
Nardi classic wood grain hooked on Worksbell rapifix quick release. Now things got /.../ <that much harder :lol:. No pics of the quick release alone but can definitely post some down the road.

FunFact: no srs light and this last picture is taken with my actual camera. Getting close to having you guys up to date!

b16lewis

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
where did you pick up the 531's from i want the same wheels and how much for the wheels if you dont mind

SiR.Huey

How did you do the no SRS light?
I have an ex model for reference. there was no need to undo the battery but for safety it could be wiser than not to do so when working with electrical components in your car.

A 2 ohm resistor is needed. and tape will do to hold connectivity. I kept my steering spool connected to my column. (the wire spool behind the steering wheel when removed, which contains the horn cruise control and the airbag wire) This made it easier to get to cause it is found in my hub boss for my steering wheel.Two ways to do this is you can either solder it the resistor in place or just make the contact secured by tape. If you removed that spool then your plug you need to connect with is centered below the steering wheel behind the column along the support bar. This is the plug the airbag wires went to from the spool after the steering column. This is behind the plastic piece that your knees hit so yes I would advise taking it out. Here the airbag plug should be found and will be yellow with only two wires.

First off the airbag "resists" the circuit of electricity from the ecu through the airbag and back. If the airbag is not there the srs light triggers on cause it no longer has that resistance in the flow. So when the airbag is not there you are left with the plug that goes to the airbag. It is yellow and has two wires going to it. Knowing the two wires are part of the airbag wiring set up is important for later and helps pick out the srs correlated plugs among the other yellow plugs you will encounter.

I connected the 2 ohm resistor( which was supplied to me with my quick release) to the prongs inside the plug by clamping the two pins of the resistor to the pins in the plug this is where you could solder if you wanted. The plug is not hard to take apart which is why I just clamped the pins in the plug together, this way I would have the option to reverse something if I wanted to or needed to.

Once your ohm is connected test the new airbag dummy. This may be tricky but on your in-cabin fuse box there are multiple plugs connected to the top side if you look at the fuse side directly. on the top right is where my ECM plug was located.. is called the ECM plug, which is correlated with your srs. It should be yellow and will have two wires running to it.. "again". I told you it was important to know that.. the plug should be a female plug this time. Unplug this one from that fuse box.

Now make sure your battery is connected. Find and bend a paperclip in a way you could plug it into the ECM plug. Now do so and make sure it is easy to do cause you will have to plug and unplug it multiple times.

Main directions:(after the resistor is set up)
to start: Plug the paperclip into ECM plug. turn your car on to accessories(not started). The SRS light should come on for about six seconds then shut off as it normally should. when it shuts off unplug the clip from the ECM. the light will come back on and get ready to plug the paperclip back in to the ECM plug when the light comes back on. Once it does come back on unplug the clip again and the light will go back off if done correctly so far and quick enough.. and when it does unplug the clip once again and wait till the light comes back on then plug it in for a final time.This time the light should blink twice and stay off.

#note you have about a four second time period for the unplugging and plugging in steps from the time the light turns on or off.

so: turn key to accessories,
1. light acts normal and goes off
2.unplug and light comes back on
3 replug and light goes off
4. unplug to make it come back on.
5. plug it back in and wait for two flashes then the result of light staying off or coming back on. leaving the clip in the plug the whole time you wait for your result and leave it there till you shut the car off completely..
retry if no worky?

*if it worked meaning the srs light stayed off then turn the car off with the paperclip "still in the ECM plug." Then unplug the clip and plug the ECM back into the fuses and test the original functioning of the car with no paperclip magic. The light should now come on for about six to eight seconds then shut off.

This worked for me at the steering spool and at the plug by the knees for my brother's ej8 as well. A 99 and a 98 civic ex.
I will try to post/get some pictures of mine when I get a chance.
as long as the 2ohm resistor is still making proper contact the light should stay off.
if not.. well retry the resistors connection and start over.

SiR.Huey

where did you pick up the 531's from i want the same wheels and how much for the wheels if you dont mind
Preordered in January 2012 and received late May 2012. Ordered them through Next Level Motoring.
I think they were $100 a rim? I got the Hyper Silver color. Shipping I think was like $40.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Should let people know that the lower end quick releases aren't designed the same and tend to not come with the resistors like Works Bell has. You pay for quality with Works Bell :thumbs up

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I like the nardi wheel a lot! I want one really bad! Gonna do my interior mods last though.

SiR.Huey

Should let people know that the lower end quick releases aren't designed the same and tend to not come with the resistors like Works Bell has. You pay for quality with Works Bell :thumbs up
I pretty much use it everyday too. It's sturdy. Don't have a comparison to The Works Bell but I want good parts for my car so I listened to a fellow with an ek for this one.
I used my brother's account (blakej8) before to ask you how you wired yours but if I remember correctly you said you just had the ECM reset or something and it worked for you right? Well mine took a combination of the reset and the resistor. It took me a week or two to grow a pair and play with electrical stuff because I'm pretty scared of the wire and electrical work with cars, in fear of setting something up wrong that can't be reversed and having a setback.

I know it isn't too bad to do once you've done it before but I would just hate to mess up. there is a first time for everything, and if the research is done properly things should go pretty smoothly.

SiR.Huey

Good write up!
Thanks!

I like the nardi wheel a lot! I want one really bad! Gonna do my interior mods last though.
I love the wood grain look with the red and all. the only thing that bothers me about the wheel is the horn button. First it was a b**** to fit in the hub and took some light grinding on the corners of the triangle spring part behind the horn to fit it in. second the horn symbol is not centered below the Nardi blue rectangle. It is slightly cocked to the right which gets on my "ocd'ness" a bit.
as for the interior i only have a skunk2 shift knob and the steering set up so far. It is a last worry kind of thing as long as it stays clean and no cokes are spilled.

Sounds like you know your stuff, good write up! Post some pics ASAP.
I will get around to that soon like monday for you. When I did this I didn't have the thread yet. next to that It was hard for me to even find the right info for this simple light delete. I took a stab in the dark and it worked and now I understand it so.. yay!:cool:

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I pretty much use it everyday too. It's sturdy. Don't have a comparison to The Works Bell but I want good parts for my car so I listened to a fellow with an ek for this one.
I used my brother's account (blakej8) before to ask you how you wired yours but if I remember correctly you said you just had the ECM reset or something and it worked for you right? Well mine took a combination of the reset and the resistor. It took me a week or two to grow a pair and play with electrical stuff because I'm pretty scared of the wire and electrical work with cars, in fear of setting something up wrong that can't be reversed and having a setback.

I know it isn't too bad to do once you've done it before but I would just hate to mess up. there is a first time for everything, and if the research is done properly things should go pretty smoothly.
I daily drive with mine and i simply forgot i used the resistor, but i know when i initially installed it i didn't use the resistor, when back and put it in like the instructions say (although I'm Japanese) and then i had to just restet the computer get the light back off.